LoS Tool, Again...

The LoS tool from CMx1 is gone. Now the preferred way is to use the targeting tool. While a bit buggy at times (like on reverse slopes) it works OK.

If you have an unarmed unit, such as a Recon HMMWV, you can't use the targeting tool though. In that situation you're out of luck, it's simply not an available option in the menu. "No LoS planning for you". I thought the situation was dripping irony though, here I had a Recon unit that was unable to do Recon...

[ August 01, 2007, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: metalbrew ]

The LOS-tool not only is for LOS.

It was a good tool for terrain analyzes.

I expected more LOS-tools, to get a better

big picture from the 3D battlefield on a flat

2D computer monitor.

For example: Conquest of the Aegan has

three LOS-Tools.

But overal,CM:SF is a very good game

with much potenzial. smile.gif

Originally posted by The Louch:

Anothe issue is that there is no way to bring up the Target command while in the Editor's 3D view... so the scenario designer cant be dynamically moving units in the editor and checking their LOS

What! If this is true it has to changed surely?

The only work-around I was able to figure out for the lack of the LOS tool in the editor is painting the entire map with one side’s setup zone, loading up the scenario, and using the setup phase to move a unit around the map and check the LOS.

Needless to say that process is agonizingly slow, especially when changes need to be made to the map to adjust the LOS.

We're not so sure about bringing back the LOS tool. There are, however, some exceptions where it would be useful.

Remember also that Relative Spotting tells you pretty much all you need to know about if you can see/shoot an enemy unit before you use any tool at all. It isn't exact, because your guys don't forget about things that go temporarily out of LOS/LOF like in CMx1, but it at least tells you what is possible. CMx1 didn't have such information available.

Steve

I think it would be *very* useful if Face command also showed LOS just like in Target command now. This is the way Rotate worked in CMx1 games.

Another useful thing would be if Face command that hasn't been executed yet could be deleted, just like you can delete a movement waypoint.

Oy! Yes, a dedicated LOS tool would be GREAT to help an unarmed Humvee calculate range and LOS. But wait - if you've got any artillery available you can easily use the artillery targetting function to check LOS - even an unarmed Humvee can! So with a few rare exceptions ALL the LOS tool functions have been folded into one or the other readily available tools. I don't miss the LOS tool because for 90% of my sighting purposes I still HAVE the LOS tool!

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We're not so sure about bringing back the LOS tool. There are, however, some exceptions where it would be useful.

If good things are eliminated, without an equally good or better replacement for it, then the overall quality has to sink.

WEGO players don't need less, we need more tools to judge elevations better (i.e. terrain grid).

I'm not particularly hung up on what the tool is called. I need something to help me understand the LoS situation though. The current state of tools don't take darkness into account, lines (in general) don't lay on the ground surface but rather cut through them, and aren't available for unarmed units like recon vehicles.

Solve all those things and I'm in better shape.

Fully 3-dimensional volumetric LOS tool would be nice. You know, click on a spot and you get "water spill" shaded area that shows where you can see from that spot (and who can see YOU!)

Or maybe show ground in different color or somesuch.

"Grid display ON/OFF" would be very welcome too.