Polygon count

Lamer, I cant give you any solid figures until we get a little further down the track but I can give you some estimates.

From my perspective Im hoping we may be able to spend around say, 2000-3000 on a soldier, 300-500 on his weapon and maybe 5000-8000 on a vehicle. Im the 3D Modeller though and we always like to get as many pollies as we can, hehe...its not impossible that Chalres could turn around and say okay, time to cut them back. Testing thus far look promising but time will tell.

Just to put those figures in perspect CMBO had about 150-350 pollies per vehicle and CMAK ended up with about 600-700 on new vehicles for that game. Each soldier in CMAK, as a guess, was probably about 120 each (these models were basically hardcoded so I cant say for sure).

Dan

[ August 29, 2005, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Hehe, thanks Salkin! Yes, things have been very busy indeed and have been for quite some time for me...for my point of view Ive had a considerable amount of new software and techniques to learn from the old CMx1 days.

All told though I think you guys should be very happy with what we can do visually in the new engine...I know I am smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Lamer, I cant give you any solid figures until we get a little further down the track but I can give you some estimates.

From my perspective Im hoping we may be able to spend around say, 2000-3000 on a soldier, 300-500 on his weapon and maybe 5000-8000 on a vehicle. Im the 3D Modeller though and we always like to get as many pollies as we can, hehe...its not impossible that Chalres could turn around and say okay, time to cut them back. Testing thus far look promising but time will tell.

Dan

Now we know the next version is loaded with eye candy. Thanks for the great improvements.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Wow and what kind of supercomputer are we going to need to run that...Those are a lot of polys...

Kana

In May I bought a mid level Dell. I'm guessing this will be a middle of the road system for CMx2. I can't remember how much it was, but I want to say around $1000. Looks like you can buy an even better system from Dell for less these days.

Here are the specs of what I bought:

Dell Dimension 4700 Series

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 520 w/HT Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)

Operating System

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory

512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M)

Monitor

No Monitor

Video Cards

128MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 SE

Hard Drive

80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices

No Floppy Drive Included

Network Interface

Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet

Modem

56K PCI Data Fax Modem

CD or DVD Drive

Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive

Sound Card

Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio

Speakers

No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed)

No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options

1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

Video Editing

IEEE 1394 Adapter