What will make us buy the Marines module?

Thomm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Sotoro:

I heared something about germans and canadians...

I heard that one too!

Seems this German and this Canadian go into a bar, and they sit down with only a seat or so between them, and both of them order a Labatt's blue.

And the Canadian looks over at the German, and he says 'We don't see many Germans ordering Labatt's'.

And the German says, 'Well, we don't see many Canadians who aren't taking advantage of the strong Canadian dollar in order to hire mercenaries from Blackwater to kill Michael Dorosh.

And then the Canadian says 'We would, but we're a people dedicated to the Rule of Law, and we're afraid they might not hold themselves to the strict Rules of Engagement laid down for actual soldiers'.

And the German says: 'Ja, but as long as you forego Nazi regalia, it doesn't matter who bends over first to pick up the soap!'

And then I always wake up....

Oh, crap. That's not a joke. It's that same recurring dream.

Anyone else have a horror of dill pickles and Michael Dorosh?

If you set up your own battle will it be possible to play Marines Vs Army?

Are the Modules mixable i.e. Can you have a Marine Platoon and a Stryker platoon in the same scenario or do you have to select your Module before playing anything?

News Anchor Dan Rather, NPR Reporter Cokie Roberts and a U.S. Marine were hiking through the desert one day when they were captured by Iraqis. They were tied up, led to the village and brought before the leader. The leader said, "I am familiar with your western custom of granting the condemned a last wish. Before we kill and dismember you, do you have any last requests?" Dan Rather said, "Well, I'm a Texan; so I'd like one last bowl full of hot, spicy chili." The leader nodded to an underling who left and returned with the chili. Rather ate it all and said, "Now I can die content." Cokie Roberts said, "I'm a reporter to the end. I want to take out my tape recorder and describe the scene here and what's about to happen. Maybe someday someone will hear it and know that I was on the job till the end." The leader directed an aide to hand over the tape recorder and Roberts dictated some comments. She then said, "Now I can die happy." The leader turned and said, "And now, Mr. U.S. Marine, what is your final wish?" "Kick me in the ass," said the Marine." "What?" asked the leader. "Will you mock us in your last hour?" "No, I'm not kidding. I want you to kick me in the ass," insisted the Marine. So the leader shoved him into the open, and kicked him in the ass. The Marine went sprawling, but rolled to his knees, pulled a 9mm pistol from inside his cammies, and shot the leader dead. In the resulting confusion, he leapt to his knapsack, pulled out his M4 carbine, and sprayed the Iraqis with gunfire. In a flash, the Iraqis were dead or fleeing for their lives. As the Marine was untying Rather and Roberts, they asked him, "Why didn't you just shoot them? Why did you ask them to kick you in the ass?" "What!?" said the Marine, "And have you assholes call ME the aggressor?"

As the commanding officer of whatever forces are available during each battle, I would like the ability to tell my Marines to deploy their heavy weapons such as the AT-4's and the Javelins, as well as being able to tell them NOT to deploy them.

I would also like my Marines to have the ability to "unaquire" such weapons and ammo. If 1st squad is running low on ammo, why can't I have 2nd squad move out and share theirs?

I should also have the ability to order my Marines to "move and hide" like I could in previous CM games.

Another concern I have on todays modern battlefield are civilians. Why not make a Syrian unit with no weapons. They would be scattered around town or in farmhouses. It would make us less likely to just blow everything up. Adding this tactical hurdle will make us think twice about our gameplans.

BTW, I'm not complaining, I love this game. Show me a game with more realism.... there isn't one? That's what I thought. I just think the more improvements and control we "commanders" have, the more realistic and fun it would be.

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

Show me a game with more realism.... there isn't one?

I would watch out for future iterations of Theatre of War! There you have a strong contender, IMHO!

An interesting question for me is: what will ToW have evolved into by the time CMx2 goes back to WW2?

After all, the super-sophisticated features of CMx2 like loosing contact with own troops or simulating the chain of command seem to be either not fully implemented (or abandoned) or to have little effect (spotting info distribution).

ToW, on the other hand, has true 1:1 modeling without shortcomings in terms of LOS (AFAIK) and about the right scale for real time. If they can come up with a building model that is at least as good as the one in CM:SF then it will be a real fierce competition between those two.

Best regards,

Thomm

Rollstoy, I thought I would never be saying this, but there are a aspects of ToW that are better implemented than CMSF, from the RT perspective. A lot of the things I have issues with in ToW when it was released are also in CMSF. I ridiculed ToW for pathfinding, on map mortars, TacAi responses, self preservation, LOS vs. LOF issues, etc. And guess what CMSF has the very same issues out of the box, and to some extent, today. ToW is more limited in scenario design and battle size, as well as no WEGO.

Its been months since I played ToW and am worried CMSF is heading the same way. I am hoping the Marine module comes out sooner than later to rejuevenate CMSF.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm buying the Marine module for sure. Of course CMSF wasn't exactly what i hoped for, but thats my own fault for overhyping the crap out of it for two years. I think a lot of the reason that we haven't seen a game like this is because it is so difficult produce, and this game is more than i should have expected from a team of a half dozen or so. Nonetheless, Shock Force IS the most realistic modern war sim out there and i still play it and enjoy it, hell yes i'm buying the addons.

edit: i will buy the addoms as long as they are still planned to be made, of course. I don't know what to make of Battlefront's absence, but i always hope for the best!

[ November 17, 2007, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Homo ferricus ]