NEW v1.06-based Africa Mod Pack and Scenario!!!

MikeyD

A double-treat in time for the V1.06 Patch

MikeyD Africa Theatre mod pack, and armor ME scenario The King Copper Mines

at our favorite site:

www.cmmods.com

Since the game first came out I was excited by the prospect of expanding CMSF into more conflict zones around the world. To that end I've assembled a comprehensive CMSF sub-Saharan Africa Theatre mod pack.

The mod pack's conveniently assemble in its own 'Z' folder. Just swap the folder for for your present 'Z' mod folder in the Data folder and the Africa game interface is good to go. The mod pack includes:

- Replacement splash screens & backgrounds

- Replacement CMSF game title

- Replacement CMSF module icon

- Replacement 'ethnic African' Red infantry control panel portraits

- Seven new 'ethnic African' Red infantry face textures

I suggest you also pick up VladTemplar's excellent 'Mountains' horizon mod from cmmods.com. Its perfect for my Africa Theatre mod pack.

-----

And pick up my newest scenario at cmmods.com too, an Africa theatre armor slugging match ME named "The King Copper mines". The ME's playable either side vs the AI and the forces are reasonably balanced for human vs human play.

SplashScreenSample.jpg

AfricaFaces.jpg

TKCM_Screensht.jpg

[ February 04, 2008, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Played the King Copper Mine scenario vs ai, first as blue then as red. It was outstanding fun, and quite challenging considering how balanced the forces were. The red ai's assault was probably the best executed assault I've ever seen from the ai. Easily one of my favorite scenarios right now, any plans for a follow up? A campaign of this style would be utterly amazing.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

The blue FOs are the guys driving the GAZ. If I don't start with an opening barrage I usually try to get them safely to the mine complex for a commanding view. If the one FO sitting in that car gets killed off NO ARTILLERY FOR YOU! ;)

Thank you for the information!

I hope I did not send that car on a suicide recon mission already! tongue.gif Shall have to check my save game tonight!

There are contacts all over the horizon ...

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: a question regarding style: I found myself spending considerable time for neatly organizing my forces into platoons of tanks, etc. Is it not kind of unrealistic that tank platoons start all mixed up?

Thomm,

Depends what you mean by “tank platoons start all mixed up“?

In orthodox Armies vehicles are grouped into Troops (Platoons for the yankophiles) and then a Troop is allocated in support of say a Company.

That Troop helps the Company but they also provide support for each other, etc. (they don’t need to be on top of each other to do this, they can be a few hundred metres apart and still achieve this) so its unlikely that you would see then spread very thinly (km’s apart) across the battlefield.

Unfortunately, I haven’t downloaded MickeyD’s impressive mod yet (or the scenario for that matter) - mea culpa, so I don’t know if its orthodox Army against some rebels or two groups of rebels battling for the Copper mine.

Of course people with the skill to man and operate a tank tend to be Army or ex Army (in the case of rebels or an Army splinter group) so they’d probably revert to their training and use the tanks as described above.

[ February 06, 2008, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

That Troop helps the Company but they also provide support for each other, etc. (they don’t need to be on top of each other to do this, they can be a few hundred metres apart and still achieve this) so its unlikely that you would see then spread very thinly (km’s apart) across the battlefield.

I have no problem with the platoons being spread out, but with them overlapping/being mixed up.

But that is just a detail.

Best regards,

Thomm

Thomm,

Sorry you have me confused.

Are you talking about two Troops intermingled like:

A B B A B A (or similar)

as opposed to:

A A A B B B

Where “A” is a Tk from 1Tp and “B” is a Tk from 2TP?

That’s normally not a good idea, but as the C2 issues are simulated it you wont be penalised for it in the game.

That’s normally not a good idea, but as the C2 issues are simulated it you wont be penalised for it in the game.

I re-grouped them, because I thought that they might benefit better from spotting information dispersal this way.

Best regards,

Thomm

Sorry that should read:

That’s normally not a good idea, but as the C2 issues are NOT simulated it you wont be penalised for it in the game.

"...so I don’t know if its orthodox Army against some rebels or..."

The scenario's two impoverished countries throwing their ill equipped hard-scrabble armies at eachother. So unit cohesion would be an issue, especially after a long march through undeveloped country.

Related units shouldn't be TOO spread out from eachother at startup since they're practically spitting distance as it is. Well, now that I think of it after playesting I did shift a couple mgs and rpgs to impoverished units. I think infantry's all on the same setup zone so they can be reshuffled before you hit 'GO'.

Fought to a draw (did not get full points for the barracks, although I clearly occupied them).

The "better" tank models that appear in the game are quite some nuts to crack. I had them drive on after two tank cannon hits to the rear/side.

Interesting battle, thanks for your work!

Best regards,

Thomm