Initial info on pending v1.02

Hi all,

Obviously we've been a bit busy trying to catch up with some of the bugs that you guys have found with the new release. We're sorry you've had to experience the downside of a fresh release of a massively complex engine, but those of you who experienced the same thing with CMBO can vouch that the growing pains are worth the effort.

Our testers and I have been reading this and the Tech Support Forum pretty much every hour since the game launched. We're well aware of the issues you guys are experiencing, so there is no need to repeat them. Just keep posting as you have been doing and that's all that you need to do.

Until Charles actually announces v1.02 patch is done I can not say for sure what will be in it. The reason being is that we don't want to take more than about a week to get a patch out. Making you wait longer than that, isn't in anybody's best interests. So depending on what can get in between now and a week is a bit too variable to guess at.

Thanks!

Steve

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

...We're well aware of the issues you guys are experiencing, so there is no need to repeat them. Just keep posting as you have been doing and that's all that you need to do...

I'd like to report bugs, but I don't want to repeat what you've already seen. That said, I don't have time to read every thread in the 3 CMx2 forums to determine if the behavior I saw has been reported as a bug.

Perhaps one of the forum admins could maintain an official bug list for each version as a sticky + lock it up. Admins could edit the thread and add a comment as new bugs are confirmed. Scanning a single thread for confirmed bugs is manageable.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

...we don't want to take more than about a week to get a patch out. Making you wait longer than that, isn't in anybody's best interests...

It might be useful to schedule your patch releases for Thursday evening or Friday morning (ET). You might get a lot more quick feedback that way. Gamers love seeing a new patch available just before the weekend!

You could time the patch releases to coincide with the new thread in the forum listing the bugs you know about.

Just a couple of ideas...

Having one central list is a tough thing for us to do. A one line description generally doesn't cut it, so it can actually cause more confusion than clear up.

Yup, we are going to try very hard to make sure v1.02 is released prior to the August 10/11 weekend. No promises, but I don't think it should be a big problem for us to do that. If we have something tough we're still working on Thursday we'll just push that one off into v1.03 so we can get v1.02 out.

Steve

I'd like to echo the Premierleutenant's comments. I love the game's potential and, despite bugs, I keep coming back to play it. I'm sure that it will be great once the patches start coming.

FYI, I bought CMBO quite a long time after release (somewhere around 2002), and loved it. I still play it today. I'm looking forward to years of playing CMSF as well... keep it up guys.

I too, want to say a big Thank You to BFC for holding on in this "stressful" release!

You have done a wonderful job and despite the knows bugs I have ZERO technical problems with the game(Vista 32bit).

I have been around many other game forums on Release and after Release of their games and I NEVER seen such devotion and participation of the developers themselves in the forums.

Well done and keep up the good work!

Itai

Originally posted by Sitting Duck:

Perhaps one of the forum admins could maintain an official bug list for each version as a sticky + lock it up. Admins could edit the thread and add a comment as new bugs are confirmed. Scanning a single thread for confirmed bugs is manageable.

Paradox uses a system like that and it works pretty well IMHO. There's a central list (or was until their most recent game) and also, importantly, the moderators tag each thread title with BUG, NOT A BUG, DUP(LICATE), WAD (Works As Designed), FIXED IN 1.02 (to indicate the bug is fixed in a particular version), WON'T FIX (to say that something is acknowledged to be a bug, but won't be fixed as it's a minor problem but a lot of work to fix) etc. They also have quite detailed guidelines on how to describe and submit a report too:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282067

I guess some management software would be better, but if you wanted to stick to using the forums I think that things are more than a bit ad-hoc at the moment.

Have fun

Finn

Thanks for your update Steve, its always good to have an idea whats happening about things.

That said, despite problems ive been able to get in game and enjoy it, aswell as having a ball with the scenario editor, nearly finished 1 scenario and another is half done smile.gif

As with many things, patience is a virtue!