Initial info on pending v1.02

Why ArmA is so much more then just another wargame. It's a living breathing and military cunning community.

http://dslyecxi.com/armattp.html

Recommend taking a look at the YouTube hosted trailer at the beginning. Total bonerfuel :D

Also, Chain of Command MOD is nearly done for ArmA. Battalion level tactics enabled :D

The Chain of Command's Command Engine for ArmA is a series of scripts that can be integrated into any mission to add a Command & Control (aka "C2") interface.

Also..

The CoC Unified Artillery mod for OFP introduced full ballistically-modeled artillery and was the most fully-realized and authentic artillery that was ever created in OFP. It's no surprise that they were involved in the creation of an artillery system for the military version of OFP, known as "Virtual Battlespace".

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jogr,

And who is this guy?
Someone who knows more about it than you could ever possibly know :D To say more than that would allow someone from within to identify him and I do not want to do that. So you can either believe what you read from places that have a vested interest in sales, or you can believe what I've just told you. Your choice and it doesn't mean anything to me either way.

As others have said, the two systems are entirely different. Give us tens of Millions of Dollars and we could do lots of cool stuff.

Steve

One of our testers has intimate knowledge of VBS2 from a development standpoint. I can't say much, but I can say that I think he would disagree with almost everything you've said so far.
It's a bit disheartening to see these kinds of tactics on this forum, and coming from the site admin no less. :(

I'm pretty sure I could counter-point your "anonymous tester" from here until the end of eternity. I'm actually almost positive I know who they are - it's a small world, after all.

Anyhow. In another world, given a heavy amount of funding (tens of millions of dollars?), I'm sure Battlefront would have a chance at competing with BIA. Not in this world, though.. or at least not anytime soon. ;)

lol all that you can have in arma by mods or its allready in
There is a ton of stuff in VBS2 that isn't really high-profile public-knowledge. The list he gave there doesn't touch most of the best aspects of it - aspects and elements that are NOT present in ArmA and will never be.

Please make it so that I do not have everybody jump out of my vehicle in front of the enemy when I give the vehicle a 'hunt' order! ;)

Any news on LOS improvement? I have seen shooting through berms, through whole buildings, ...

Any news on wall behavior? I wanted to breach some in the airfield mission and just saw the shells impact in the 'tower' behind the wall, as if it was not there.

Putting a forward observer on the roof of the 8-story tower is quite cool, by the way!

Thanks in advance,

Thomm

Dslyecxi,

It's a bit disheartening to see these kinds of tactics on this forum, and coming from the site admin no less.
Not sure what tactic I'm using that you're having a problem with or why.

I'm pretty sure I could counter-point your "anonymous tester" from here until the end of eternity. I'm actually almost positive I know who they are - it's a small world, after all.
I don't know who you are, but obviously it is quite possible that you could ID the tester. But I think you're taking my comments out of context. I'm simply trying to point out to someone that the feature sheet they read is not the best way to judge a product. The same way anybody that thinks because there is a common engine and major bullet point features that VBS2 is just Armed Assault with a more expensive pricetag. The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle.

Anyhow. In another world, given a heavy amount of funding (tens of millions of dollars?), I'm sure Battlefront would have a chance at competing with BIA. Not in this world, though.. or at least not anytime soon.
Quite true. Plus, we're not looking to be another BIA. We like being small and independent :D

And I must say, I love your user name! Because I have mild dyslexia I figured that one out quickly. Very looc ;)

Steve

Thomm,

We are focused on other things than LOS right this very minute. The v1.02 fix is mostly designed to get certain hardware/driver problems out of the way, though there are some things in there for everybody else. You'll get to see it very soon as we are testing what we think will be the version released to the public. And yes, that means we completed the work around for the ATI driver bugs. And we are VERY happy about that :D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Thomm,

We are focused on other things than LOS right this very minute. The v1.02 fix is mostly designed to get certain hardware/driver problems out of the way, though there are some things in there for everybody else. You'll get to see it very soon as we are testing what we think will be the version released to the public. And yes, that means we completed the work around for the ATI driver bugs. And we are VERY happy about that :D

Steve

How about performance on Nvidia stuff? Specifically, the latest drivers. I'd like to have my drivers up-to-date for the other stuff that I do, but shock force just doesn't like it.

Give us tens of Millions of Dollars and we could do lots of cool stuff.
Hell, give me tens of millions of dollars and all you would see is my ass getting on a plane for the Caribbean...and that would be the last you saw of me too! ;)

Looking forward to pulling the game off the shelf and playing again after your patch (i.e. you said about a week on the 8/1... See I 'was' listening! :D )

[edit...too many beers and I can barely spell when sober! :D ]

Do not want to start a new thread on this, but I have a middle-term suggestion:

One kind (direction-wise) of diagonal trenches currently looks perfect in the game, with straight walls, while the ones in the other diagonal direction look comparatively bad with ragged walls.

Could one somehow throw in a field of bit flags during map grid creation that changes the connectivity of the triangles in the grid such that both kinds of trenches are represented nicely?

If that makes any sense! :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

... though there are some things in there for everybody else.

Hopefully related to keyboard hotkeys! *whispers prayer*

By the way, for this rather hardware-oriented patch, we will be able to finish a started campaign, right?

If not, please let us know because I do not want to loose the fruits of many hours of playing

Combat Mission: Molten TNT Manager! :D

Best regards,

Thomm

Sorry about offtopic here:

Well i don't know, but i'm backing up Sergei with his ArmA judgement.

I don't get that ArmA doesn't give any combatdrills (techincues or what ever are the english terms) to AI but bounding overwatch on attack. I've been wrestling with this thing for long. It doesn't have slighthest hint of fighting in urban terrain, no anykind understandment of what is to setup a defencepositions in anykind terrain but flat un-defendable terrain (belly pressed to soil and that's it).

I've been codingg AI form it's release now for it (+years with OFP), this far i managed to do few super-grappy urbanwarfight scripts (use corners of building as cover, AI doesn't know even that by default), some decend scripts for non-urban warfare (like defending in hill), and one this far best, and sadly only all-around, suppression/morale-implentation to AI, which bases guite much on CMx1s morale modelling btw ;)

Well i'm amateur scripter afterall, but this far it seems that i'm those few who actully is intrested in upgrading AI to do those basic things like defending etc... Rest just seems to be intrested in modelling new weapons and vehicles (OMG so lovable looking -insert your favorite rifle/vehicle here-!!! ... can i masturbate when looking at it?)

And small ontopic to end:

Nice to hear that patch in comming up. I have nothing to whine about. Had few issues with stablity at first, but no crashes anymore, so i'm quite happy.

[ August 06, 2007, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Secondbrooks ]

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Thanks BFC for the hard work...please let Charles take a nap and..oh..get him a whopper...make it his way...

Make sure they use vadalia onion ..it will help to keep his nutrient rich jar pure. Thanks in advance. :D

Regards,

Gunz

Rollstoy,

One kind (direction-wise) of diagonal trenches currently looks perfect in the game, with straight walls, while the ones in the other diagonal direction look comparatively bad with ragged walls.

Could one somehow throw in a field of bit flags during map grid creation that changes the connectivity of the triangles in the grid such that both kinds of trenches are represented nicely?

Unfortunately, no. The problem has to do with performance. The way the mesh works, from a calculation standpoint, it is very easy (though costly) to have them smooth in three directions. To have them smooth in the fourth direction would require a massive speed hit. Trenches are already the absolute worst killer of frames per second as is, so Charles will not implement the smoothing for that 4th direction. I don't like it any more than you do, trust me, but I trust that he knows what he is talking about.

molotov_billy,

The slow nVidia problem seen with certain cards can't be fixed until Charles gets his new computer with the nVidia 8800 card in it. Hopefully this will be any day now, which would mean a fix in v1.03.

As for the ETA... we are hoping for a release on Wednesday (late) for both Battlefront and Paradox customers. We need a little more time to make sure we aren't making anything worse. The list of "for sure" improvements includes:

* New customizable hotkeys with more "direct keys" (these show up in green in the command buttons). Note that it's OK to leave a hotkey blank.

* F5-F8 keys jump directly to command panels

* New Option for ATI left-click compatibility (only appears for ATI users). The new ATI cards require this. It (hopefully!) stops the crashes, but some 3D mouse clicks are less precise.

* New Option allows user to choose whether CMSF runs at normal priority (better for mouse input for some people) or high priority (can improve frame rate)

* Vehicles have much-improved automatic defensive behavior AI.

* After using a "high level" menu button in the command panel, the display flips back to command buttons.

* Fixed a bug that caused smoke sometimes not to block LOS when it should

* Infantry will often seek better nearby cover on their own if under heavy fire

* You may issue commands when paused in Elite mode

* Vehicles don't change facing defensively if they have a cover-arc command

There will be a few more fixes and tweaks in before we consider it final, but I can not say what they are yet.

Thanks!

Steve