2 new CMSF beta videos released today!

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Very happy with what I saw, and if that is just the raw unfinished stuff, then we are looking good.

Now if only Battlefront could get my copy of T-72 to work... (like I paid for)

Hi! Did you email support@battlefront.com? If not, please do so smile.gif

Martin </font>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent work...certainly far ahead of anything in the current CM games.

The infantry firing sequences look great, really...who would drop their mags in the sand?

I would put them away...who knows if you are going to have the luxury to, "collect them later", and even if you did, sand, dirt etc does not chamber well, keeping them clean is far more important. If things are so that bad that you have to fire in that sort of uncontrolled way you're probably going to die any way and wont need the mags. :D

[ March 28, 2007, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

"Abrams moving up the slope did look a little strange."

I saw this at other times as well. It looks like too much of the weight is being shifted forward onto the front suspension of the abrams, as if it was decelerating, when it appears to be moving at a consistent speed or accelerating.

Wow! Looks great! I like the fact that they are putting the empty mag away and not simply dropping it. Only complaint - I wish you would get rid of the pro-mask carrier. So, I deploy in July, any chance I'll be running this on my laptop by then? ;)

man watching tank video was like watching documentary or live feed of battlefield in Iraq or something - almost too real - crazy visual picture - really breathtaking.

As for marines video i dont worry about reloading animation as much about those yellow tracers/lasers - i hope they get removed in the final build - there nothing visual other then slight burst of dust from the barrel while firing rifle in daylight - at night we should see those hollywood muzzleflashes though

hey moon - all that long coding and transmission and physics calculations - if we would simplify and ask in how many ways can we destroy tank what would you say ? like for example how many damage animation there is - will tracks be blown away with the same animation or depending on the angle and all the world's physics and conditions ?...

[ March 29, 2007, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: unsobill ]

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

reloading never looked like that.

Yep. In the clip, the animation puts a mag in with his left hand (good), then takes his right hand off the grip (bad!) and does something with the charging handle.

1) normally, you'd just slap the bolt release on the left side of the gun after slamming the fresh mag in.

2) if for some reason the charging handle needed attention - eg, if the bolt had not locked back after the last round, which you'd find out only after slapping the release - it would be knife-handed back with the left hand. The right stays on the grip, ready for trigger work.

As for nits, the animations should keep their heads up and eyes on target while reloading to retain situational awareness, especially when not covered... although it takes a fair bit of training to reload without looking at the mag, magwell, etc, and I don't know if the average army guy can do it.

Since we're doing 1:1 simulations here, how about malfunction drills and 'oops' drills, like when the fresh mag is fumbled and falls, old mag sticks in the magwell, a round partially feeds and gets bent, double feeds, etc? Realistic eye candy that can reduce effectiveness at critical times.

you know what? I friggin love it; this is literally a WORLD away from CMBB. Induvidual representation and firing, round fired at every pull of the trigger from exactly the man who fired, spent shell casings, reloading, its almost too good to be true.

and for all you guys asking for all sorts of new and crazy animations, im confident that its not gonna happen. Several animations for one type of reload(guy fumbling with magazine, etc.), jams, stuff like that would be a complete waste of time to model. Making a "duress" and "normal combat" reload, not gonna happen because that would require new animations and new scripting and AI things to tweak, etc. I am completely fine with the way things are now, maybe a little polishing up (i.e. slapping the bolt release instead of loading new clip via charging handle, and just generally finer and more realistic reload sequence), but no one is going to stay zoomed in on a squad during a turn or especially during realtime just to watch the guys reload, and even if they did, be thankful that the guy actually takes the clip out and throws in a new one, and even chambers the first round!

ok, for the quick view just follow the link on utube.

after watching the clips, i cannot wait any longer.

the detail is unbelievable. I will gurantee, there will be no other game that can come close to what you have done.

cheers and thanks to the team for bringing us this game.

we tactical players have been neglected way too long by the pc industry.

I am already selling the game to friends and anyone who plays war game to buy directly from you guys.

the reason i say this is because it very easy to get a cheap pirated version of the game.

you will have my full support and i will be the first to purchase this game when it comes out.

in addition, i am already spreading the word on Gamespot.com in the forums for you guys.

regards,

generals solomon

Originally posted by sage2:

"Abrams moving up the slope did look a little strange."

I saw this at other times as well. It looks like too much of the weight is being shifted forward onto the front suspension of the abrams, as if it was decelerating, when it appears to be moving at a consistent speed or accelerating.

Originally posted by unsobill:

there nothing visual other then slight burst of dust from the barrel while firing rifle in daylight - at night we should see those hollywood muzzleflashes though

One more thing - the A2 flash hiders are closed on the bottom (to limit dust kick-up while prone) so to the extent that you show flash it should be sides and top only.

A2_Flash_Hider.jpg

Originally posted by Homo ferricus:

no one is going to stay zoomed in on a squad [...] just to watch the guys reload

speak for yourself ;) People used to complain that the unit patches from month to month in CMBO were imperfect.

Originally posted by LordCalvert:

Ok, I messed up the quoting-function, haha :rolleyes:

I meant to also say that maybe the suspension looking weird is actually a way to sneak up a hill showing as little of the tank as possible?

I was wondering if the suspension had some kind of self-levelling ability so that the frontal armour was always presented at the most effective angle to incoming fire (for example to minimise the exposure of the belly plating when cresting a ridge).

If this is the case then the front bogies would have less travel if they hit an obstacle so potentially making for a rougher ride. On the other hand, it would also mean that the gun stabilisation system would not need to depress as far to compensate for going up hill – possibly important if the degree of depression is limited.

Can we get word regarding whether this is modelling reality or just a glitch ?

The suspension compressing unevenly while the hull remains at 0 degrees has gotta be a glitch. I noticed this before in some screenshots which showed the abrams going up or down a slope while the hull maintained a perfectly horizontal aspect.

Regardless, great stuff. Darn, I'm going to miss the cartoony animations of cmx1. ;)

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Im pretty sure the suspension isn't meant to do that. Its like the hull is always level as it goes up a slope.

In reality gravity would have to be higher at the front of the tank than the back for the suspension to compress like that.

Unless the hydro-phumatics change the compression in response to a tilt sensor. Its not rocket science. Even my old BMW 5 series estate has a self leveling suspension that compensates when something heavy is loaded into the back.