2 new CMSF beta videos released today!

Anticipation for this game seems to build each and every day so to bump it up just a notch higher we are making available two new, "early and raw", videos taken while playing. Please note, these videos were taken from an early game beta, so there are many elements which are not yet complete but they still give a good impression of the overall detail you can expect.

First up, we see as a M1A1HC (Heavy Common) Abrams tank travels off-road. Watch the articulated suspension system in action (gun stabilization was not yet animated), self-shadowing, the randomized exterior equipment (individualized for each vehicle) and the advanced lighting effects such as sun glare reflecting off the various surfaces.

The second video shows a troop of US soldiers firing their M4 carbines, and displays the various firing animations from both standing and kneeling positions, as well as the reloading sequences. Since this is beta footage, there are various glitches still, but this video is meant to showcase the full 1 to 1 soldier modeling now featured in Combat Mission: Shock Force.

m1a1beta.jpg

Combat Mission: Shock Force Videos Page

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Is the suspension system supposed to be physically correct or is it somewhat simplified?

I am asking because I have the impression that the tank hull should be parallel to the ground when moving up a slope and not horizontal as it seems in the M1 video at times.

Best regards,

Thomm

Argh, frustration. I get the following message when I try to watch the videos: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported."

Anyone more familiar with Windows Media Player have any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Dook:

Argh, frustration. I get the following message when I try to watch the videos: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported."

Thanks in advance.

Try and update your copy of Windows Media Player for starters and see if that makes a difference.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Dook:

Thanks in advance.

You can download VLC player, I just used it to watch these two videos.

Awesome work BF! One copy sold here... smile.gif

Good stuff

I always roll my eyes at the nitpickers, so I cant believe im about to nitpick

But one thing that stood out to me in the second video of the soldiers firing the M4

The soldier reloading his rifle looked like he was at the firing range reloading.

I do not profress to have seen much combat, but the few times I was in combat, reloading never looked like that.

It was always yank the clip free, either stuff it in a pocket or drop it to the ground and collect it later. Then rip a new clip free from whatever pocket you have it in and jam it into the gun and pull back the lever to chamber a new round so hard you almost break it.

I dont care how experienced you are or how much fire you have been under, when you are firing rounds at a target you always reload as if your life depended on doing it in as little time as possible.

I think that animation needs to be a little more 'violent' and alot more under duress.

Sweet animations; too many things I like about them to bother listing just one or two. Well done.

Well, ok...the spent brass, and the individual torsion bar motion. Nice.

rudel's comments are apt, but I'm not bothered either way - compared to the CMBB animations, these are leaps and bounds. But the last time I was at the "live" range (the "pairs" range, to be accurate - fire and movement on an assault, not static), the instructors were indeed telling guys to drop their mags on the ground when reloading. It is also easy to stuff them in your shirt or jacket front (if not wearing body armour) and putting them away properly later.

I suppose a true nitpicker would demand sets of animations for "duress" and "normal combat" (whatever that means - such as providing cover fire on suspected enemy positions for a neighbouring unit, but not being shot at yourself). Or something.

Either way - I'm more than impressed with what was presented.

Dook,

VideoLAN is an excellent media player with support for many codecs already built in

It played both the movies for me without problem so if you cant get WMP to work it might be worth looking at.

As for the video they look great, did spot a bit of a bug with the magazine loading animation on the M4 one, but I suspect that'll be cleaned up soon enough smile.gif

The thing to remember with regards to the infantry video was not the animations themselves, which were placeholder at best when the video was taken, and admittedly VERY raw, but the fact that CMSF now models each soldier individually and that there is no more abstracted gunfire 'bursts', but rather that every pull of the trigger from your men is both visually and audibly (although there was no sound in that video, stay tuned for that!) registered, modeled and tracked in game.

Madmatt

Problem solved. Downloading the videos and then watching was all it took.

I was very impressed with the M4 animations - particularly the articulation of each soldier's joints (knees, waist, shoulders, etc.). A huge improvement from CMx1 days.

Its ok that people observe every detail and suggest improvements and so on. But my goodness this is the sequence of CM! Have you played CM lately? The graphics are very raw, outdated, animations pretty basic in the previous games. The soldiers look like RC toys moving their legs and going nowhere, etc. It is a fantastic game, no doubt but as far as graphics, animations, there is really no way to compare. People didn't seem to care too much about this details then.

CMFS looks as good or even better than most other games recently released, and their focus is usually a lot of eye candy.

When I saw the first screen shots I couldnt even believe it was CM.

It is amazing that all the calculations and realism and gameplay that made the series so good will now be in such an impressive package. It will for sure attrack a lot of new players.

Ya I noticed this too but I wont care much about that after a while. Looks pretty impressive still.

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

Good stuff

I always roll my eyes at the nitpickers, so I cant believe im about to nitpick

But one thing that stood out to me in the second video of the soldiers firing the M4

The soldier reloading his rifle looked like he was at the firing range reloading.

I do not profress to have seen much combat, but the few times I was in combat, reloading never looked like that.

It was always yank the clip free, either stuff it in a pocket or drop it to the ground and collect it later. Then rip a new clip free from whatever pocket you have it in and jam it into the gun and pull back the lever to chamber a new round so hard you almost break it.

I dont care how experienced you are or how much fire you have been under, when you are firing rounds at a target you always reload as if your life depended on doing it in as little time as possible.

I think that animation needs to be a little more 'violent' and alot more under duress.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

The thing to remember with regards to the infantry video was not the animations themselves, which were placeholder at best when the video was taken, and admittedly VERY raw, but the fact that CMSF now models each soldier individually and that there is no more abstracted gunfire 'bursts', but rather that every pull of the trigger from your men is both visually and audibly (although there was no sound in that video, stay tuned for that!) registered, modeled and tracked in game.

Madmatt

OK

I am impressed with that part!

"but the fact that CMSF now models each soldier individually and that there is no more abstracted gunfire 'bursts', but rather that every pull of the trigger from your men is both visually and audibly !

Well Done!!!

Very nice.

tom w

It looks amazing. The few glimpse here and there..... for an early beta build I am quite impressed.

I was going to wait for CMx2 WW2, but maybe I have to throw in my supportive money and see how CMSF turns out at the end. Even if it is only to make the arrival of CMx2 WW2 a little bit more secure.

Uwe