CMBB INSTALL ISSUES! COME HERE FOR LATEST INFO!!!!

Madmatt

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one machine fail on install as others have reported.

My other PC installed the game with no problems at all. Am guessing it's a media problem.

And yeah, Bam65, you are a whiner. Get a grip.

In FIVE minutes Matt had emailed me the files that were missing from install and I was playing.

Crap happens during mass production, it's what a company does after to correct the situation that counts.

So wah.

Guys, lets not start snipping at others that are posting about what is obviously an incredibly frustrating experience.

Having said that, I understand peoples anger, and we are doing everything we can to get this situaiton resolved. No one is going to have to lay down any more cash and everyone will get a fully working CD. The reality of the situation though is that this takes a little time to get set up properly. Thats what we are doing right now.

Those downloadable files are just a temporary solution to allow some people to be able to play the game. I know for some people, the installer wont even run at all, we will take care of those people as well.

Madmatt

[ September 24, 2002, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selected parts Originally posted by CJMello:

Never saw a setup.exe on the CD. Just the CMBB Installer program. It stated in the maual to click on the setup.exe but stated nothing about the installer.exe. I realize things change from the final version and the manual sometimes.

Nothing was written to the registery so nothing will show up in Start|Programs or in the Add\Remove programs areas.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish to echo CJMello. I have everything and the game runs, but shouldn't CMBB show up in Add/Remove programs? Does anyone know?

***** I've added this so it won't get forgotten during all of the efforts to correct a more serious problem.

OR is this part of the same overall problem.

[ September 24, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Le Tondu ]

Hi Matt,

A very minor issue compared with what others have had to deal with here, but...

When I installed, the installer got to 100% and simply closed itself. I expected some kind of "congratulations, you have successfully installed CMBB" message, but there was none. I started the game and it appears to work perfectly.

Should there be a "completed" message at the end of the installation, or does it just end like that?

How many total files should I have in my scenarios folder?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Martyr:

Hi Matt,

A very minor issue compared with what others have had to deal with here, but...

When I installed, the installer got to 100% and simply closed itself. I expected some kind of "congratulations, you have successfully installed CMBB" message, but there was none. I started the game and it appears to work perfectly.

Should there be a "completed" message at the end of the installation, or does it just end like that?

How many total files should I have in my scenarios folder?

Thanks!

That is exactly what happened with me as well. Somefink aint right.

As per MadMatt:

-----------------

Okay guys we are still looking into this issue. I dont want things to get too confused here so here is some data.

If the game is fully installed you will have the following folders and file amounts:

5847 files in the "BMP" folder

2324 files in the "WAV" folder

70 files in the "Scenarios" folder

2 files in the "OpenPlay Modules" folder

-----------------

I hope that helps.

Bam65,

what was the last time you got software on a defective CD and you:

a) could still install and use it

B) got a fix within 30 minutes (that was the time from my posting to Schrullenhaft mailing me the scenarios I missed)

c) offer you the missing parts for download without any piracy protection

The last times I had that I could send the CD back and get the replacement weeks later, with nobody with a brain even talking to me.

I would like to point out that I haven't received a fix. My install stops at the BMP files. I may be looking at weeks for a solution.

I know MadMatt is probably pulling his hair out over this, and I am confident that they will fix my problem. It is extremely frustrating to see everyone else playing the game even when I preordered fairly early.

It is also frustrating to see people being called whiners. Something about this board makes people think BTS can't make mistakes. They do, and just like any other company, people complain about it. BTS will fix the problem, like the good company they are, and people can and should complain until the issue is resolved. It's a basic human right in the new economy.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Bam65,

what was the last time you got software on a defective CD and you:

a) could still install and use it

B) got a fix within 30 minutes (that was the time from my posting to Schrullenhaft mailing me the scenarios I missed)

c) offer you the missing parts for download without any piracy protection

The last times I had that I could send the CD back and get the replacement weeks later, with nobody with a brain even talking to me.

When I first put the Mac CD into my G4's drive, the disk showed as "unreadable". At the time I was connected to the web with Outlook Express and IE5.1 running.

I disconnected, quit the applications and re-inserted the CD. Everything was fine after that and the install went smoothly (it took about 60 minutes but it worked).

I left the CD in the drive last night and we will see what happens when I return to it tonight.

If I am customer with a grievance, and you choose to label me a whiner, so be it.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated thay my pre-order resulted in a coaster.

I bought the game on faith in BTS. I have no doubt it works, if the CD is not effective.

My hope was that I would get a copy of the game as soon as it wasavailable to avoid the chance they might run out.

Imagine how it is now, out 52 bucks, no game, and no idea (yet) when I will get it.

I was shocked to find that BTS was offering downloads to those who achieved a partial install. This leads me to ask, "Why not offer a full download for those, like me, with a broadband connection of the entire game?"

Of course, I know why, and support the decision, it seems, to not allow that.

Yep, I am a whiner.

And you know what? I deserve to be.

For the record, as one of those who can't install it at all, I have heard NOTHING about my solution. (except on this board that a solution is in the works.)

Seems reasonable to me that BTS should pack me up a new CD and mail it fast to me.

How are they to verify who got tainted goods?

Should I send my defective CD now to facilitate confirmation for my replacement?

If BTS decided today to send me a new, checked, and verified CD, it would take at least 2-3 days via USPS.

Lesson learned: Do NOT pre-order software.

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

I wish to echo CJMello. I have everything and the game runs, but shouldn't CMBB show up in Add/Remove programs? Does anyone know?

***** I've added this so it won't get forgotten during all of the efforts to correct a more serious problem.

OR is this part of the same overall problem.

Well, I haven't received my order yet so I'm hoping I don't run into a bad CD. Ordered 3 copies so I've got a 1 in 3 chance. ;)

Anyway, about the Add/Remove Programs issue. It really isn't a bug and is just the result of the install not completing successfully. Putting an installed program in Add/Remove Programs is an option a software maker has when creating their installs (with most installation software, like InstallShield). However, it is usually there by default and a good practice.

Again, I doubt it's a bug in the install but more related to the install not completing successfully. Doing the registry entries and adding an entry to Add/Remove Programs would be one of the last things done in an install.

Keith

Actually, in order to be in the ADD/REMOVE list would require a Registry Entry and we have always tried to install our programs with a minimum of fuss. If you want to remove CMBB then just delete the entire directory.

We would have liked to include a more elaborate Installer into CMBB but we simply had no room left on the CD to do so.

For those of you that have CD's that won't install AT ALL, we are listening. What we dont want to do is send out a replacement CD which exhibits the exact same issue. Not until we have had time to look over everything and properly diagnose the scope and root cause of this issue.

So far, the amount of people reporting the issue is actually very small, but we will not take any chances.

If you have an installer problem, please be sure to email me along with your order number so I can add you to my replacement CD database list.

Thank you.

Madmatt

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

Well, I haven't received my order yet so I'm hoping I don't run into a bad CD. Ordered 3 copies so I've got a 1 in 3 chance. ;)

Anyway, about the Add/Remove Programs issue. It really isn't a bug and is just the result of the install not completing successfully. Putting an installed program in Add/Remove Programs is an option a software maker has when creating their installs (with most installation software, like InstallShield). However, it is usually there by default and a good practice.

Again, I doubt it's a bug in the install but more related to the install not completing successfully. Doing the registry entries and adding an entry to Add/Remove Programs would be one of the last things done in an install.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks so much for the answer. smile.gif I thought that maybe I was going nuts or something for even bringing it up.

Ok, it "looks" to me like it is a minor part of the overall problem. CMBO showed up in Add/Remove Programs. I just figured that CMBB would too. I mean there isn't any reason why it shouldn't. Right?

Unless this absence is intentional? I wonder. Maybe it was a strategic decision to put CMBB only on one CD. Since parts of the game (ie. vehicle textures/skins) were left out of it and therefore have to be put into it by way of future updates, it is logical to think that something important to the installation of the game could be accidentally left out too?

Instead of have two CDs, they dediced to only put out one? The down side of course is that another CD may just have to be sent out anyways. Maybe another two with everything on them so CMBB installs correctly?

Either way, I don't believe that BTS & BFC considers us whiners for pointing these problems out. The sooner they know about them, the sooner they will get them fixed and the sooner that everyone will be happy.

smile.gif

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Actually, in order to be in the ADD/REMOVE list would require a Registry Entry and we have always tried to install our programs with a minimum of fuss. If you want to remove CMBB then just delete the entire directory.

We would have liked to include a more elaborate Installer into CMBB but we simply had no room left on the CD to do so.

Thanks for the info, Matt. I figured it was related to the install not completing but looks to be a decision made by BTS. A software program that can be removed by simply deleting the directory? Unheard of! ;) At least on an MS OS. smile.gif

Nice feature, BTW. I liked being able to simply move CM:BO to a new hard drive when I upgraded my computer without all the annoying registry hooks.

Keith

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

Keith,

Thanks so much for the answer. smile.gif I thought that maybe I was going nuts or something for even bringing it up.

Ok, it "looks" to me like it is a minor part of the overall problem. CMBO showed up in Add/Remove Programs. I just figured that CMBB would too. I mean there isn't any reason why it shouldn't. Right?

Unless this absence is intentional? I wonder. Maybe it was a strategic decision to put CMBB only on one CD. Since parts of the game (ie. vehicle textures/skins) were left out of it and therefore have to be put into it by way of future updates, it is logical to think that something important to the installation of the game could be accidentally left out too?

Instead of have two CDs, they dediced to only put out one? The down side of course is that another CD may just have to be sent out anyways. Maybe another two with everything on them so CMBB installs correctly?

Either way, I don't believe that BTS & BFC considers us whiners for pointing these problems out. The sooner they know about them, the sooner they will get them fixed and the sooner that everyone will be happy.

smile.gif

Looks to be intentional and a nice feature in terms of how other Windows app are (see my above post and Matt's).

Just thought I would provide my 2 cents having spent more than my fair share of time working with InstallShield (and all of it's problems).

Keith

has everyone tried the troubleshooting method described in the manual? ie, cotton balls with rubbing alcohol with water to clean the cd? mine failed on the scenarios and most wavs but after rubbing radially outward from the hole (NOT in a circle) it worked, only 5000.wav and 5001.wav failed after that.

ps. my cd had a blobby (milky) distortion (did not look like concentric rings) near the middle hole.

We would have liked to include a more elaborate Installer into CMBB but we simply had no room left on the CD to do so.................

Thank you.

Madmatt

So, I was right. There is "no more room at the inn." OK, its a nice feature, but,.....

Won't there also be a problem in the future with CDs when you try to squeeze in the most recent updates? Won't the updates possibly push things beyond the current limit? Where will the updates go then? Won't a second CD-ROM be needed? Will the most elaborate installer be included then? (This isn't too far to consider as my second copy of CMBO had the latest updates included on it, while my first copy didn't.)

My install failed (and after ~30 min, argh). Then I tried to copy the install file onto hard disk, but that failed too (again after some 20 minutes or so). Fortunately, I knew enough to come here and look. Within a few minutes, I downloaded the scenarios and I am running fine.

BTS is great!

Now I need to check all my polish files to see if they are there or not. Hmm, no rush.

Guys, lets not start snipping at others that are posting about what is obviously an incredibly frustrating experience.
Fair enough.

My apologies if I offended anyone. I've been self employed too long, and have had my share of folks jumping on my ass when situations aren't perfect. Perspective is an amazing thing.

In my experience, I've settled on two courses of action when something doesn't work out:

1. If the people who made the mistake work *with* you, then by all means cut them some slack.

2. But should they not, then by all means bring out the shotgun and cut them in half!

:D

So far, the amount of people reporting the issue is actually very small, but we will not take any chances.

If you have an installer problem, please be sure to email me along with your order number so I can add you to my replacement CD database list.

Thank you.

Madmatt[/QB]

--------------------------------------------------

This sure looks like a BTS *Arghh ***** situation, extra costs with extra everything(more cd's, packageing, shipping etc.)

I'd like to recommend an acceptable compromise to both BTS and the *unfortunate few* who will be requesting the replacement of their faulty cd.

You should create a simple form posted somewhere within this website asking for our id, order# and this form should have 2 boxes we need to check.

1) I'm willing to pay the extra S&H

2) Hell no I won't pay!

I, for one, am willing to pay the extra 10 bucks(Canadian eh!).

I offer this only because in my 50 years as a comsumer, never have I witnessed a *willingness to please* as exhibited here in these forums daily by your company. Waaaayy beyond the necessary. Besides, 10 bucks more for years/months/hours?? of gaming this good, helluva deal!

Btw, I'm still waiting for CMBB.

Krazy

PS. For the dissenters, don't forget ***** happens* no matter how hard you try. If I thought for a minute BTS had done this on purpose (we know they didn't, that's my point!) I certainly would expect them to incur all the extra costs involved here.