CMBB INSTALL ISSUES! COME HERE FOR LATEST INFO!!!!

Madmatt

The Wood,

you are not alone,I have the same problem

I contacted CDV and I found out that it is for sure a DVD drive problem.

The game installs on my old pc with cdrom drive

The guy I spoke with wouldnt say it in so many words but thats how I understand it.

He couldnt give me an solution but he promised me to send me a solution by mail in one or two days.

If that will not work I get a new cd.

I keep you guys informed

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, misery loves company. I would actually be willing to pay for the game again to get it ASAP. I am gainfully employed and would easily pay double for CMBB. Unfortunately, no matter how much I am willing to pay, I am not going to be playing for a while. One of those situations where I should have just waited to hear how every one liked the game.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

The Wood,

you are not alone,I have the same problem

I contacted CDV and I found out that it is for sure a DVD drive problem.

The game installs on my old pc with cdrom drive

The guy I spoke with wouldnt say it in so many words but thats how I understand it.

He couldnt give me an solution but he promised me to send me a solution by mail in one or two days.

If that will not work I get a new cd.

I keep you guys informed

Just a quick update. Everyone who has emailed I have entered into my replacment database. I was able to get everyones address and order info, so far.

If you get the installer error PLEASE be sure and email me at matt@battlefront.com and be sure and include your order number. If you dont have that then I can also look up your info by your email address or mailing address if need be.

Madmatt

[ September 24, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I have read the varying responses on this unfortunate turn of events concerning this game-- I personally am not bothered as it will rightly worked out --you can depend on that --that is the nature of matt and all of the others at BFC-- I made two battles and played until about one this morning :D -- I will down load the rest tonight --I think -- anyway it will all be ok. :cool: and yes I will be ready to buy and play the next one too

Originally posted by CJMello:

I for one don't mind not having the game log in the reg or having to use the Add/Remove utility to get the game off my HD.

I feel the same way too. It just feels kind-of funny for CMBB to be this way. That's all.

Originally posted by LynnL53:

.........anyway it will all be ok. and yes I will be ready to buy and play the next one too

I second the motion!

smile.gif

In the "hope this helps" department:

MadMatt,

I had a similar problem with the Mac install - it crapped out a little way into the big one of the three installers (DataC ?). I was able to copy the files to my HD and run from there, though, with no problems (other than that it took bloody forever). Upon removing the disk from the DVD drive, I found that it was not terribly clean - it looked kind of like a light mist had been sprayed on the bottom of the CD and dried there. Maybe somebody has been sneezing on the CDs, ;) or the pressing machinery was somehow spraying a little machine oil or somesuch. Hard to say.

I wonder how many of the problems out there could be solved by cleaning - this sort of problem is really a classic dirty CD symptom.

Well, after very frustrating trial and error, I found a way, however bizzare, to get it to work.

1. Took CD to work.

2. Copied using EZCD 4.0

3. Used the copy (since the original would not work) to de-archive the files using WinRAR. I got the error message of it failed a CRC check. But, 98% got extracted.

4. Downloaded the files Matt posted. Filled in the missing files, and then test ran it. It ran, a bit buggy, but that was because the video card in the office machine was inadequate.

5. Copied the extracted files to (2) CDs.

6. Extracted the files from the 2 CDs to my Home Computer.

7. Inserted the CMBB retail CD into my CD drive.

And lo and behold, I was asked to test my video settings. Then decided to play a scenario, and that worked. Just to make sure it was not a fluke, I shut down, rebooted, and ran it again.

Well, it checks the CD, it passes, and the game loads.

I hope I NEVER go throught that again.

Hi, had the install fail as described by others previously. For what it is worth, the error message that came up in the window was "Read Error" and then a few seconds later "Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Check" I run XP Professional, the cd was a Creative CD5220-F. I do not believe the rest of the system is at issue and I really doubt that the failure has anything to do with the hazy area or edge imperfection that people are prone to attribute to. Need to run and apply the patches. Thanks for the quick technical support. Looking forward to getting it going. tongue.gif

Well, after trying a few of the more simple suggestions here (cleaning, copying the Installer file to my HD and extracting it from there, using WinAce to manually extract the files --- none of which worked, by the way), I just downloaded all the missing .wav and scenario files and installed them manually.

After mucking about with some scenarios and the editor as a test, everything seems to be working fine...

Hi

I have the same problem as the rest of you. I have checked the cd and it is clean and does not look damaged. I tried copying the installer onto my HDD to try and install that way but the copy fails giving me a "crc error, cannot complete copy" message

Someone mentioned manually extracting the files. Can anyone point me to where I can get a program that does this. I am getting desperate so any help would be much appreciated. My OS is win xp professional.

I copied the CMBB CD to my hard drive using a CD-RW drive. It would not work with the CD-DVD drive. Then I wrote the file to another disk CD-RW and installed it. But I had to use the orginal CMBB disk to play because XP wouldn't recognize the CD-RW as the game CD. It works but It doesn't make any sense. :confused:

I wonder if the shipping of CMBB will get delayed overall due to this problem. We caught the initial pre-order wave, and it stands to reason the other waves need to be investigated before they too result in distribution of bad CDs.

Detailed review of the CD I got:

It has the oil slick like smudge I reported earlier, and I found the injection mold 'dimple' another reported on the edge of the CD. It is a visible bumpy flaw near the very edge of the track.

If you see it, you will realize that 'Inspector 3' was blind that day. smile.gif

[ September 25, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

I appreciate the response time and fixes we have gotten. Battlefront should be commended for that. I just wish the CD's hadn't gone out with the defects in the first place. Now that I have the files it isn't as much an issue for me personally but I do hope to get a replacement CD. I also feel sorry for Battlefront that it happened at all. I'm assuming they will take a hit from this by having to replace CD's and such.

By the way, I also did the cleaning but to no avail. I think the install problem with the .wav files was indeed caused by the physical defects but I'm no expert so don't quote me. ;)

[ September 25, 2002, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Bam65 ]

Originally posted by Wilhammer:

Detailed review of the CD I got:

It has the oil slick like smudge I reported earlier, and I found the injection mold 'dimple' another reported on the edge of the CD. It is a visible bumpy flaw near the very edge of the track.

If you see it, you will realize that 'Inspector 3' was blind that day. smile.gif

Funny thing, my copy of CMBO has the same dimples along the edge that my copy of CMBB has. My copy of Airborne Assault and Indpendence War 2 doesn't have them, but Star Trek: Bridge Commander and SHOGUN:Total War does. CMBB, CMBO, ST:BC & S:TW still works fine with the dimples and that makes me wonder if the dimples really are the problem.

I suggest that you begin looking at all of your CD-ROMs and I bet that you'll find that the dimples aren't all that uncommon.

I think part of the problem results from trying to cram too much onto a single CD-ROM which resulted in a poor installer going out with the game.

I know that it has been said that the lack of Registry entries and an icon in Add/Remove Programs is an OK thing. Heck the game really does work fine without them, but was that really intentional -or desired?

My Mac (I think the 1st in the UK) disc looks faultless but it falls just short in the Install.

I get a CMBB folder with the application data folder and Scenarios. On first try it says I need Openplay so I grab everthing missing (folders etc) from the demo folder and whoopee it runs, all scenarios are there but someting is amiss with the bmps and lots of 'zebra' soldiers appear without wepons. So I've copied all of the demo data, hopefully this will fill in for the missing data. Matts ftp download fix just seems to have the wav files which I think are OK on my install.

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

I know that it has been said that the lack of Registry entries and an icon in Add/Remove Programs is an OK thing. Heck the game really does work fine without them, but was that really intentional -or desired?

i HATE regisrty entries.

i don't need another stupid entry in my already oversized registry to slow down my boot up. does every game really need to store every single extra setting by cramming it into my registry when it can do so just as easily from a text file? or even better those stupid, one line entries that basically say, "Hey, you have me installed!"

plus i have to be extra careful if i need to edit a game option that isn't avaliable in-game. plus there is always the chance that a game shoves its fist so far up my computer's hard drive it leaves crap in my registry. better to be able to just highlight the game folder and hit delete when you want to get rid of it.

[ September 25, 2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: russellmz ]

Guys, you MUST email me with your order number to be sure you get on my replacement CD list. Just posting to the forum is not enough and I might miss someone.

My email is matt@battlefront.com and be sure and include your original order number (if you still have it) or the email address you used when you placed the order.

Thanks!

Madmatt

[ September 27, 2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]