Ok so this bone is a few days early! I feel so damaged..Really I do! Details within..

Okay, I hate waiting as much as everyone so I figured I would lob this bone a few days early.

So without further ado, here is yet another new CMBB feature. Collapsed and damaged buildings with partially rubbled walls.

You can ask questions but I am going to be away for the next week. For now just ENJOY!

Click the thumbnail to view pictures in FULL SIZE.

rubbled_walls1tn.jpg

rubbled_walls2tn.jpg

rubbled_walls3tn.jpg

rubbled_walls4tn.jpg

Now I am going to be gone for about a week or so but when I get back I will explain all about how the following "sneak peak" bone is now made possible in CMBB...

Madmatt

teaser.jpg

[ March 11, 2002, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I wamt the weapon that fires in such tight carefully controlled patterns. :D

Oh, as for the other mundane shots of ruined Europe... Very, very nice. Yet another wonderful upgrade for deepening the player immersion.

[ March 10, 2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: kmead ]

Just a minor criticism: the contours of the damaged buildings are a little to "jagged", which make them look like pieces of glass. The contours would look better if they had mostly horizontal and vertical lines to them, i.e. following the lines of the bricks and beams etc.

Originally posted by The Commissar:

I don't know what we were thinking before...CMBB won't just be evolutionary - it will be as revolutionary as CMBO!

We know...

As to the other questions, here are some quick questions.

There are some new "tricks" that you can do in the editor to have pre-flamming rubble (as shown in some of the pics above) but for now it keeps the tile from being occupied. We do indeed now have smaller smouldering fires that can grow and spread, just not in rubble...yet.

After looking at TONS of war damaged building pics we saw that the 'jagged' edges are just as common as breaks along seams and joints of a more even nature. It all depends on what sort of structural failure caused the damage and collapse.

This implementation of collapsed building damage was able to be incorporated because it doesn't require any additional textures or VRAM. To make damage textures or the "edges" more naturally follow each other would require too much overhead.

We will probably tweak the damage pattern mask some more though, as with everything else. ;)

Madmatt

[ March 10, 2002, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by voidhawk:

Just a minor criticism: the contours of the damaged buildings are a little to "jagged", which make them look like pieces of glass. The contours would look better if they had mostly horizontal and vertical lines to them, i.e. following the lines of the bricks and beams etc.

I would have to agree. Looks like someone has taken to them with a laser.

Soldiers,

Let me the first to say- My God! CMBB has already blown away my expectations, and THERES STILL MORE Matt ain't showing us! WOW! :eek: Not to mention sounds, of which we haven't heard any, or how the game with actually play out. Take all the time you guys need with CMBB, it will be well worth it!

Dear MadMatt,

Are the great destroyed building pics and rubble you made going to be the result of player shots fired at buildings? So we won't use the * ** boom system anymore?

Or are the buildings going to be on the map in the rubbled state at the beginning of a game?

Construction Destruction .. Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Dear MadMatt,

Are the great destroyed building pics and rubble you made going to be the result of player shots fired at buildings? So we won't use the * ** boom system anymore?

Or are the buildings going to be on the map in the rubbled state at the beginning of a game?

Construction Destruction .. Toad

Both, I will explain more when I get back.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

After looking at TONS of war damaged building pics we saw that the 'jagged' edges are just as common as breaks along seams and joints of a more even nature. It all depends on what sort of structural failure caused the damage and collapse.

This implementation of collapsed building damage was able to be incorporated because it doesn't require any additional textures or VRAM. To make damage textures or the "edges" more naturally follow each other would require too much overhead.

We will probably tweak the damage pattern mask some more though, as with everything else. ;)

Okay, understood. Although I tend to agree with The Commissar that you're not quite there yet, this is a great step forward. Especially like the news about spreading fires. This game is going to be a great improvement! Thanks to all on the BTS team!

Michael

Great! Cool! WOW! Best news yet!

Now all we need is the horses and I am satisfied!

Heh heh, I have a sneaking suspicion that Madmatt's "teasers" mean that we can place rubble and damaged buildings and MAYBE even artillery shell holes in the scenario editor. Hmm, I wonder about burned out tanks...

I think that this stuff is all going to be in the scenario editor, and that they are re-vamping it to add more options.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Okay, understood. Although I tend to agree with The Commissar that you're not quite there yet, this is a great step forward. Especially like the news about spreading fires. This game is going to be a great improvement! Thanks to all on the BTS team!

Michael

The rubble looks great. I just have a tiny little question about it...Shouldn't there some stone pieces in the ruins. As it is it looks like as if the buildings are completly made of wood. They look as if they were attacked by an army of giant termites. tongue.gif

Sorry for the criticism....keep up the great work!

I thought I guessed Something like this when I posted this:

rubble.jpg

in this post:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=023825;p=3

Some one must have surely already figured this out

BUT if there are multipleskins/textures on buildings now

maybe partial rubble will look something like this:

(Only WAY better!) (After Partial destruction texture swap....)

Before Partial Destruction:

Picture%2082.jpg

this should be easy to do by using more and more pink transparency in the Wall .bmps that make up the building

as it becomes progressively more destroyed. This is possible now in CMBO BUT then all the buildings look

destroyed of "pinked -out" if you start you use transparency on their walls not just the ones you want to see as

partial rubble.

If there is a different texture for the building to show it in a more destroyed state, why not design walls and roof

textures with lots of that lovely transparent pink in them to show the partial walls and roofs missing.

the above effort was a quickly mocked up photoshop trick using an image from Tom's Bulge mod and some new

rubble pasted in from the new CMMB pics to simulate a building in partial decay. OK I know its rough but I just

wanted to try to quickly simulate some transparency on partially destroyed building walls.

Yes, it looks real ugly but the potential for partially destroyed buildings in CMBB may be on the WAY!!

your comments..

{Hi Dan,

Hope you don't mind I "re-purposed" your CMBB rubble for this demonstration. (Good looking RUBBLE by the

way!)}

-tom w

[ March 10, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]