New, what is this thing ask!

Yeaaahhhh..... but I'm not entirely sure what value it has. Now don't everybody jump on me at once as a heretic. Know that I love the game and I would love to adopt everybody involved in it as my own true flesh and blood, but the map thingy covers a real big piece of real estate, don't you think?

The first time I looked at it to see where I was, I thought, "Oh, Asia...well, that certainly narrows it down."

The map is one of those things that if it wasn't in the game people would be saying "Why don't you show a regional map?" and if it took up less real-estate people would say "It's so small!"

You Euro players should think of that map as a visual aid for illiterate American players. The average college-age American probably couldn't locate Russia on a map! I have a publisher friend who puts out a military history mag. He says he get the most intelligent comments from Finland (no joke!) and the stupidest dumb-ass question you can imagine from the good-old U.S. of A. (Insert George Bush Jr. joke here) ;)

Originally posted by MikeyD:

The map is one of those things that if it wasn't in the game people would be saying "Why don't you show a regional map?" and if it took up less real-estate people would say "It's so small!".........

;)

Is it all that important an item? Basically, I ignore it. Yet, I cannot escape admitting that I have said myself that (on more than one occasion) "it's soooo small." It really is.

If I hadn't read ParaBellum's comment, I still wouldn't know what that was for.

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

Yeaaahhhh..... but I'm not entirely sure what value it has....the map thingy covers a real big piece of real estate, don't you think?

Yeah, it's a completely useless waste of space. Too small to be legible and poorly drawn on top of that. If they want to include a regional map (not a bad idea really) put a good, big, clear one in the briefing. Since there is already a button on the button bar that takes you directly to the briefing, you could consult it there at any point during the game.

Michael

The map itself doesn't do anything but reflect which Region the current battle is takening place in. The importance of this will be understood when you see the full game in action. Especially for QuickBattles where no Breifings exist. We could have made this text instead of graphical, but we had the sapce and the graphic also serves a purpose of helping to break up the density of interface.

Obviously everybody is entitled to their opinions of its effectiveness or artistic quality, but not one Beta tester even mentioned this feature one way or another. Well, except for a Finnish tester who (of course smile.gif ) wanted the entire map of Finland displayed.

Steve

As a college aged American, I take offense to that statement! Its very easy to miss Russia on a map, all tucked down in there... ;)

In all seriousness, I don't think the American youth is as ignorant as he is portrayed. He is far too ignorant, I admit, and lagging behind the average European, but not THAT ignorant.

But then I think you need to look at "what is average." Furthermore, I think location has a lot to do with it. Does the average European know the location of, say, the state of Kansas?

Long story short, and its off topic, sorry, is that everyone should admit holes in their knowledge, and even though some are smarter than others, that is not ground for borad generalizations and sweeping criticisms.

I certianly do believe that the most intellegent military questions come from the Finnish...Finland seems to me to have a proud military history to encourage popular study. Here in the states, the military is loved and hated, depending on which movie you're watching. :(

I'm strange, I actually like the little map smile.gif . It lightens up the interface and is a good "counter weight" for the picture to the left, the "weather picture". I just noticed something about the "weather pic", if you move the mousepointer over it, it turns into a textbox with weather info, ie "Clear, Dry, Warm, Windy ENE". Nice feature smile.gif

PS: Make the tracers scaleable/flipable.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

The average college-age American probably couldn't locate Russia on a map! )

In defense of Americans of all ages, most college age Europeans couldn't make or properly operate a beer bong . . . which life skill is more important, I ask you?

Is kansas somewhere in the middle?

I certainly couldn't draw a US map with the states,

or name the capitals of the states. Are there capital states anyway?

Neither could I draw the borders of countries in Africa,

or Asia...

And I'm not average, I think. I'm highly educated...

Could probably draw a half decent world map though.

The average college-age American probably couldn't locate Russia on a map!
What's Russia? You mean the USSR, or the CCCP?

In all seriousness, though..You forgot the one major component of American naivete

The refusal to believe in paved ashvault roads in other parts of the world. I don't know why, but..This one unceasingly fails to find it's way into any, and I mean any conversation with 'foreigners' I've participated in, or overheard.

It even extends to other Americans. Living in the south, most west-coasters have asked me about this. (and a rather virulent rumor about shoelessness in the public education system, but that's another story)

[ September 07, 2002, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: mch ]