New, what is this thing ask!

Originally posted by mch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The average college-age American probably couldn't locate Russia on a map!

What's Russia? You mean the USSR, or the CCCP?

In all seriousness, though..You forgot the one major component of American naivete

The refusal to believe in paved ashvault roads in other parts of the world. I don't know why, but..This one unceasingly fails to find it's way into any, and I mean any conversation with 'foreigners' I've participated in, or overheard.

It even extends to other Americans. Living in the south, most west-coasters have asked me about this. (and a rather virulent rumor about shoelessness in the public education system, but that's another story)</font>

But, you also have to forgive our Euro-buddies, they totally fail to see the sheer brilliance in our sense of humor, sometimes.

Why else did they think we let the Supreme Court elect Georgie Bush? That's right! To prove every American stereotype true, and, to set a land-speed record in doing it!

You mean when the Romans said "all roads lead to Rome" they meant asphalt? And all this time I thought the Via Appia was made with stone...
AHA! we're right! they do use stone roads instead of paved ones. And every one just thinks we're dumb......

[ September 07, 2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: mch ]

It even extends to other Americans. Living in the south, most west-coasters have asked me about this. (and a rather virulent rumor about shoelessness in the public education system, but that's another story)

"You live in Alaska huh? So...you live in an Igloo?"

"Alaska, isn't that the huge Island off the coast of California?"

:mad:

Originally posted by busboy:

In all seriousness, I don't think the American youth is as ignorant as he is portrayed. He is far too ignorant, I admit, and lagging behind the average European, but not THAT ignorant.

I don't know. One night (two years ago) I was watching SPR with my then 19 year old brother-in-law. He turned to me and in all seirousness asked: "So who won World War Two anyway?"

I said, "Did you go to high school Greg?"

"Well, yeah stupid."

"So what did you learn?"

"Uh, I can't remember! Who won?"

"The Nazis did Greg."

"Really, nuh-uh."

"They sure did."

"Really?"

"Really."

"No they didn't 'cause Hitler is dead."

"Yes, but the regime endured."

"What do you mean?"

"The government survived the war. Why do you think we have so many skinheads in the US? They support Nazi Germany."

"You're lying."

"Goodnight Greg."

"Tell me the truth. Who won?"

"Goodnight Greg."

I still don't think he knows. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

I don't know. One night (two years ago) I was watching SPR with my then 19 year old brother-in-law. He turned to me and in all seirousness asked: "So who won World War Two anyway?"

he is YOUR relative. you can slip *something* into his food so he cannot breed... can't you ... please!?!?!?

ok. ok. maybe a little over the top.

on second thought... naaaaaaahhhhhhh!

darn - screwed up and finally posted once too often, and got member status.

[ September 08, 2002, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: Humus B. Chittenbee ]

I was dating a Japanese girl who I knew to have graduated college but was amazed at her complete ignorance to many things I would expect a person to have been introduced to wherever they went to school. It finally came out that her entire education was gender based on how to be a good wife. A 4 year degree on cooking, cleaning, home economics...

I'm not knocking it, it just blew my mind.

you would be amazed if you step into a classroom and ask questions about the war in hat answers you will get.

last year a newspaper in Rotterdam did a poll in a normal highschool class with about 30 students aged 15/16

2 had never heard of Adolf Hitler,one of these students even asked if he was still alive and what he was doing now :rolleyes:

majority of them didnt know when ww2 started nor when it ended

Only a few knew that Rotterdam centre was bombed to pieces by the Germans.

worrying signs if you ask me

Originally posted by numskll:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

The average college-age American probably couldn't locate Russia on a map! )

In defense of Americans of all ages, most college age Europeans couldn't make or properly operate a beer bong . . . which life skill is more important, I ask you?</font>

Originally posted by lewallen:

Just goes to show ya how dim some Americans are even when it comes to pot, I guess: beer bongs are extremely inefficient due to the fact that THC is soluable in alcohol! Meaning, of course, that what you're smoking is absorbed by what you're smoking it through...

Heh, heh. The subtlety of the strategy has escaped you. After your buddies have gone home, you open the bong and drink the beer and get really ripped! All without putting your lungs through undue hardship.

:D

Michael

Generalizing americans as fat dumb rich people like so many europeans do really pisses me off. For one the US has litterally thousands of different cultures. We pretty much have no homogenity. We have kids fighting out a life on the streets we have farmers we have middle class we have high class. When you look at a 4year univeristy you're going to see more diversity in cultures and life styles then any other country. Just because you saw some idiot on TV doesn't mean the majority of americans are dumb lazy white and middle class.

originally posted by lewallen:

Just goes to show ya how dim some Americans are even when it comes to pot, I guess: beer bongs are extremely inefficient due to the fact that THC is soluable in alcohol! Meaning, of course, that what you're smoking is absorbed by what you're smoking it through... Water is a much better bong-filler.

Just goes to show you how dim some posters can be. A BEER bong has nothing to do with smoking pot. It's purpose is to aid in the shotgunning of a beer.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

Go on then. Here's a map of the world.

()

Point to Russia. Go on, smartypants. Show us all where Russia is on the map.

It's right...there -->().

:D

Michael</font>

Returning to the map...

What are those borders supposed to represent? (The tiny red lines I mean). My first guess would be "borders", but then I saw that (what must be) Belorussia and Ukraine had borders too.

So I became confused.

Why present Ukraine and Belorussia as "countries" or "nations"? In a map from 1941-45 I mean.

[ September 10, 2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Leutnant Hortlund ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) that the red lines represent rail lines.

Michael

Nah, I doubt it. The red lines seems to be very consistent with the pre war borders of the time (with the notable exception of Ukraine and Beloirussia as mentioned above). If they were rail lines the logical thing would be to see Berlin and Moscow as great hubs.