(ahem) So, what was that I recall about someone wanting a CMBB BONE Thrown???

Oooo! Sweet! Muchas gracias. You could really use some anti-aliasing on those pics, though. :D

Originally posted by Madmatt:

We wanted to have both a light and heavy damage texture set but we are already pushing the limits on textures so we could only do one.

Would it be possible to create BMP slots for both light and heavy damage, and simply use the existing damage textures for both? That way the game would be complete (no missing textures), but modders would still be able to create both light and heavy damage BMPs themselves.

HOWEVER in 10 days (or so, maybe more maybe less) I will show you what we DID do to make these things even cooler...and forever change how city and town maps will look....

Can't wait! smile.gif

- Chris

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bad Monkey!:

Anybody notice anything strange about that fellow on the left?

Like fact that he's either missing his legs below the knees... or he's somehow rising from below street level...

Looks like he's taking a leak.

Very cool indeed.

It doesn't seem that far off to have animated textures as well - not just to reflect damage, but several textures that rotate all the time over any given object. You could have shimmering water, swaying grass, drifting clouds, waving flags, moving streams; the possibilities are endless. ....

Hi,

The graphics really are stunning. Cannot believe how good a job Dan has done. CMBB is going to look great from the start. There will be no need to wait for all those modders to produce their work. But, of course, the more mods to choose from the better.

All the best,

Kip.

Soldiers and Sirs,

WOOT! :eek: Way cool! I love this! Everything that we've been bitching and whinning about has finnaly ended up in the game!

Tiger As i recall Steve saying; all the bmps will be open- as they were in the IBM version (Yes! That means that macs will no longer have limits in file space!)

Matt You old dog you! I'll play along. Roof! Roof! Give me another bone! :D

Originally posted by Juardis:

I know what the surprise in 10 days will be. They're going to unveil the "build your own factory" feature and how sweet it'll be. Bring it Matt!

Personally, I am hoping for the non-rowhouse effect where you can enter another building without going out into the street first...

Originally posted by Madmatt:

So how do they work? Well, when an individual building gets damaged suffeciently these textures will replace the default one automatically. Each building has its own damaged texture set, just like it has its own winter set. We wanted to have both a light and heavy damage texture set but we are already pushing the limits on textures so we could only do one..

Hey gang-

Would anyone here be willing to wait an extra month for CMBB to get that 2nd bldg texture included in the game?

that, or what kinda bribes are gonna work on for the BTS boys? ;)

light/heavy damage textures would be amazing. I'll cross my fingers and hope and pray MM can figure a way to squeeze them in.

~leaky

This whole conversation got me hoping for the same effect on trees.

Nice trees....KABLAM!...messed up gnarly, just got hit by a 150mm shell trees....splinters with leaves.

Mord.

Heya Guys,

Just to clarify, we cant do light and heavy damaged textures because we have already hit the 32mb VRAM limit (and then some actually), so this is a VRAM issue, not a time issue.

Glad you like how things are shaping up guys smile.gif

Dan

[ March 02, 2002, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Hey Dan why not just have switches for lower end users? Anybody that can't handle the overload could either switch off a certain feature, like we can now with Trees and Smoke and stuff, or maybe a default like for Hires and Lowres grass. If the computer couldn't take the extra punch of heavy damged buildings it would just use the lightly damaged ones.

Mord.

Mord, there are a couple of reasons...

Firstly, buildings take up a LOT of VRAM and adding in yet another set of textures would have trippled the VRAM requirements just for buildings, something that wouldnt even fit onto 64mb cards. smile.gif

Secondly, we only have so much time to code in certain things. In this case for example it would have been a choice between two damaged textures per building another idea which Charles came up with, which Matt said he will post some shots of in a few days. Trust me, this was the much better option smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Secondly, we only have so much time to code in certain things. In this case for example it would have been a choice between two damaged textures per building another idea which Charles came up with, which Matt said he will post some shots of in a few days. Trust me, this was the much better option smile.gif

Dan

You guys have gone from throwing bones to dangling carrots, you realize that, don't you!

Very nice. Any chance that a future incarnation of the game could have damaged forest as well? I was thinking along the lines of foliage being stripped from forest tiles which have been hit by enough HE, so there would just be bare and broken trunks and branches. Also it wouldn't block LOS as much.

Give me an inch and I want a mile.

Really cool pics...

But as long as I'm whining and demanding 'More More!...'

Will it be possible to design maps starting out with already damaged buildings? In a city where blocks have changed hands several times it wouldn't be right to start out with fresh facades and windowpots.

Woops, one more thing. Sorry for being so prolix but...

Does anyone else think the difference between the undamaged and damaged building bmp could be more dramatic? It could be more than just a few bullet holes around the windows...gaping holes from tank fire would be nice. Just a thought.

Great pix, btw.

CMPlayer, damage is supposed to represent light damage, not heavy, as that is the level of damage as which the textures are displayerd. Some buildings do have blast damage though, though you cant really see any in these shots. Too much of this type of damage tends to make building look a little cartoony, as we currently dont have any building internals and big black holes in buildings tend to look a little flat.

Dan

[ March 02, 2002, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

...buildings take up a LOT of VRAM and adding in yet another set of textures would have trippled the VRAM requirements just for buildings, something that wouldnt even fit onto 64mb cards.

I can see that it's time I started saving up for a 128 MB card...

:eek:

Michael

[ March 02, 2002, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Nice ass on that tank.
Dorosh,

I must rebuke you for looking at these AFV's as sex objects. Don't you realize how demeaning that is to objectify them? You must learn to treat them as individual machines and stop being so bigoted....

That's funny you said that Dan cause I was thinking that about how to apply damage to vehicles. Why not have little BMPs that can be stuck onto a vehicle when it is damaged kinda like how the crater BMP appears when a bomb hits the ground. That way a new set of vehicle textures wouldn't need to be made. If that can be done at all that is. I don't know if it could work that simply. Would the Computer have to track the damage BMP as the vehicle moved, causing the same problem that keeps tanks from being used as cover by infantry?

And tree damage would be an awsome thing as well!

The more you guys reveal the more my imagination starts to run away.

Mord.

[ March 02, 2002, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Mord ]

Maybe one way you could have damaged tanks is have each tank texture BMP have a damaged alternitive, one texture for every 'area' i.e. front upper hull, side turret, front turret, or for Micheal, rear penetration. :D

When a tank is hit in a particular area, it swaps the regular BMP for a damaged one. Think of how fun modding THAT would be. You could have a neat little hole, or if you prefer, a gaping tear in the armour.