(ahem) So, what was that I recall about someone wanting a CMBB BONE Thrown???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys rule, Matt comes out with a great little watchamacallit to add to the atmosphere and you instantly start wishing for more damage, damaged forest, damaged vehicles, damaged sky and damaged infantry who have blood on the nose and bandages.

Well thats not enough for me!

I want damaged brush, damaged water and damaged scattered trees with 10 different BMPs I can mod. I want damaged farm animals, damaged civilians running around (what great scens that would make!) and a damaged whorehouse! I want damaged horses, damaged carts and damaged pipelines! I want collapsed and thus damaged sewers you can look in! I want damaged bridges! I want bridges you can BUILD and then damaged! I waatHTEph!

Heya Guys,

More very quick answers, as its getting late and I have some textures to finish up before bed.

CMPlayer, no problems smile.gif

As for damaged vehicles...not sure about this one yet guys. It is something that we have considered doing but there are three very real problems. Firstly, it would double the VRAM usage for each vehicle, something that weve already used quite a bit too much of. Secondly, it adds to the loading time of scenarios as CM need to check to see if there are damaged skins for each vehicle in game. Lastly, Im not sure Chalres will have the time to code it up, as he has much more cool stuff on his list before this, stuff that will make a difference to game play as opposed to how CM will look.

Not saying a defiante no at this point guys, but a probable one.

Dan

PS : Ligur, funny post, hehe. Actually this is one reason why we tend to spread out our bones, as even little ones can tend to lead to people wanting far more than is realistically possible to do (even though we would like too!) smile.gif

[ March 02, 2002, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by Flammenwerfer:

MaddMatt-

Will it take 12 days to PARTIALLY rubble

those buildings?

:cool:

Some one must have surely already figured this out

BUT if there are multipleskins/textures on buildings now

maybe partial rubble will look something like this:

(Only WAY better!) (After Partial destruction texture swap....)

rubble.jpg

Before Partial Destruction:

Picture%2082.jpg

this should be easy to do by using more and more pink transparency in the Wall .bmps that make up the building as it becomes progressively more destroyed. This is possible now in CMBO BUT then all the buildings look destroyed of "pinked -out" if you start you use transparency on their walls not just the ones you want to see as partial rubble.

If there is a different texture for the building to show it in a more destroyed state, why not design walls and roof textures with lots of that lovely transparent pink in them to show the partial walls and roofs missing.

the above effort was a quickly mocked up photoshop trick using an image from Tom's Bulge mod and some new rubble pasted in from the new CMMB pics to simulate a building in partial decay. OK I know its rough but I just wanted to try to quickly simulate some transparency on partially destroyed building walls.

Yes, it looks real ugly but the potential for partially destroyed buildings in CMBB may be on the WAY!! :D

your comments..

{Hi Dan,

Hope you don't mind I "re-purposed" your CMBB rubble for this demonstration. (Good looking RUBBLE by the way!)}

-tom w

[ March 02, 2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

You guys rule, Matt comes out with a great little watchamacallit to add to the atmosphere and you instantly start wishing for more damage,

I thought about making any "wouldn't it be cool if" statements before I made my posts above, just because I didn't want to be taken as being ingracious. So If I came off that way I am sorry. That wasn't my intention.

I don't see any reason not to wish out loud for cool features, as long as it's done repectfully and nicely. I appreciate what is being done with the game and believe I have stated that.

In the future, just for the record, anything I post along the lines of "wouldn't it be cool if"

is because I am excited about what is coming up, curious, or both. But in no way am trying to be an ingrate. If we didn't love this game so much, no one here would wish for anything, or even post.

So thanks for the hard work fellas all these "BONES" are well appreciated.

Mord.

Mord (and CMPlayer), no worries at all as it didnt come across that way, we appreciate you guys passing on your wish lists, thats how we plan for future additions smile.gif .

I think that Ligur was just having a joke, one that I found a little amusing as I feel the same way as you guys (and am constantly asking Charles if we can do this or that) only to be smacked in the facr with reality once again, hehe.

Tom, nice idea, but your to be forgetting that it would require a whole new set of textures for buildings, which leads us to the VRAM problem again smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

I think that Ligur was just having a joke, one that I found a little amusing as I feel the same way as you guys (and am constantly asking Charles if we can do this or that) only to be smacked in the facr with reality once again, hehe.

Dan

Indeed my post was, or was supposed to be, in good humour =)

Mord, CMplayer and the rest, I think all the ideas are really good and its fun to think about all the stuff that might get in some day! BTS is listening to us after all, maybe we'll get that damaged forest in the future, a feature that would please me a lot.

Originally posted by Ligur:

Indeed my post was, or was supposed to be, in good humour =)

I laughed, anyway. I like to make that kind of joke too. I just wish you could have mentioned damaged field kitchens. Imagaine trying to make chow for a whole company when the pots and pans are full of bitmapped bulletholes. A nightmare!

Ligur, I wasn't upset by what you said, just was worried that what I said might have been taken the wrong way.

No hard feelings on my part as well.

Mord.

Reaching VRam limits. Ooooh, that's scarey. I'd hate to have CM not run on my machine.

There's hi-res art (which you're using)and lo-res art (which CMBO uses). Is there a compromise way to mix & match vehicle/building resolution bmps to reduce the burden a bit?

My own mods are usually mixed res. Why double the resolution for a lower rear hull bmp that's in shadow anyway? Try taking your super-hi-res peasant shack and cutting the resolution in half. Is it still pretty? I may be one of the few to admit this, but I'm willing to compromise around the edges if it means getting the game to run on my machine.

CMBB will autoamtically down scale/sample textures if it detects you are running out of VRAM.

Even so we have a HARD limit in mind when we design textures and this second set of damage textures would have pushed us over that limit.

It's not as easy to just code an " empty slot" for graphics based on conditions as many people seem to think, thats a HUGE misconception about how things work. When we can do this we will try but more often than not it requires too much coding to implement.

Madmatt

[ March 04, 2002, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Ligur:

You guys rule, Matt comes out with a great little watchamacallit to add to the atmosphere and you instantly start wishing for more damage, damaged forest, damaged vehicles, damaged sky and damaged infantry who have blood on the nose and bandages.

Well thats not enough for me!

I want damaged brush, damaged water and damaged scattered trees with 10 different BMPs I can mod. I want damaged farm animals, damaged civilians running around (what great scens that would make!) and a damaged whorehouse! I want damaged horses, damaged carts and damaged pipelines! I want collapsed and thus damaged sewers you can look in! I want damaged bridges! I want bridges you can BUILD and then damaged! I waatHTEph!

I want damaged damage. Period.

I can not wait for CMBB to come out!

Thank you matt for helping all us fans out.

we combat lovers have hard times with other war games for the pc but you guys from bts make it right!

thanks bts and matt for being so loyal to customer. I like it and your games!

Best wishes and please make the game come out quick!

[ March 09, 2002, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: LuckyShot ]

Originally posted by Bad Monkey!:

streetwalk2.jpg

Anybody notice anything strange about that fellow on the left?

Like fact that he's either missing his legs below the knees... or he's somehow rising from below street level...

I think he just had to pee