What draws you to this particular game....

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Oh I dunno, I guess I was drawn by all the sparkling personalities on this here forum. :D

I think that is a good point about the BBS community.

Where else can you find an Irish Physician besieged by wargaming opponents defending his having to work double shifts! A mythical thread that defies any rational explanation! This community is awash in varied personalities!

I agree with all the comments on the 3D that matters, the realism factor, the wego, the under the hood goodness-and I would like to add:

-The easiest to use scenario editor that is out there amongst all the WW2 games available. The map editor is absolutely the best thing since baked kugel. This has given this game an endless life as far as I am concerned, and a great community that keeps on cranking out amazing work.

-The ability to modify the visual look and feel of the graphics. I bet that it is almost getting to the point that no two CMBO gamer's graphics look alike.

What draws me to CMBO? All of the above sentiments('cept maybe the ones about the SS hamstertruppen), but to me the more intersesting question is what keeps drawing me back. No other game I have ever owned has been played nearly as long. Sure I still play Civ form time to time, but I have been playing CM at least once a week since it came out, and I know that I'm not the exception.

Ex Armoured soldier QRIH

Long history of table-top gaming with 1/32nd scale and 1/300th scale miniatures.

SL and ASL Board Gamer.

CMBO embodies all of the above with realism and a 3D environment. It also allows one to re-enact certain engagements on a "what if" basis by allowing the purchase of different mixes of equipment and manpower at PLatoon and Coy level without the need for a massive physical terrain board, and it ROCKS

With the added benefit of a marvellous forum to educate in and enhance the Game with some great Characters.

Douglas (aka DougieB)

Belfast (N.I.)

UK tongue.gif

What draws me to CM??

1. We-go.

2. 3D battlefields.

3. The innovative spirit of BTS.

4. CM is the best thing going --period.

5. The almost unlimited potential for scenario generation.

6. CM's replayability.

[ August 15, 2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Le Tondu ]

Interesting question.

What draws me to CM? I truly enjoy the challenge of the game. I love the possibilities that present themselves in each and every little Quick Battle I play. I enjoy the PBEM's I play against my opponents and sometimes stop and enjoy the graphics. There are some individuals who have used their artistic abilities to enhance what we see and I appreciate that effort.

This is the first "War game" I've played. I am not a "Grog" and did not care about WWII until I played this game. Since I bought this game, I've read over 40 books on WWII and have played (and lost) thousands of games. I just can't stop.

If the next installment of Combat Mission could be better, I may have to stay home because of the orgasmic escstacy that would run through my hirsute frame on a daily basis. I would ask for disability pay for obvious reasons.

I feel that this is the perfect place to put my exprience with this game into perspective. Until about one montu ago I had never heard of this game in my life, until I was cruisin one of those gaming info sites that sent me to battlefront.com with info about strategic commands release. And that's when I saw it .. at first glance it looked like a ww2 RTS.

Now I know that RTS isn't a term that ppl can use around here and live to talk about it.. especially in the Peng threads. But that's what we usually get these days.. RTS games that have units from specific era's(all rts games are the same .. it's just the units that are different.. PROVE ME WRONG =D ), and wargames/stragegy games that are more complex than tryin to code in C++.

Then we have this wonderful forum. I had found the demo and started playin it. Now for someone who isn't familiar with the grogismâ„¢ of WW2 this game can seem like any other ww2 wargame, hard and complex. But after a few small post to this board, and reading that great anthology of posts I was finally able to beat the computer and now I have a hard time losing to it on QB's.

To make a long story even longer!! I played the demo for 1 day.. 1 DAY. Then I quickly logged on and ordered the game off their website. Oh sure it takes 2-3 weeks to get here to good ol alberta,canada , but playin the demo over and over was a good way to get used to the interface, get to know the units and what their capable of, and just getting a feel for the game in general.

So... to wrap it all up. I'm no Grog.. and don't think i'll ever be but this game is the best damn game in the world and i'll be playin it till the end of time along with CMBB!!!

Stay cool everyone!!

Wamphyri

PS .. General Tacticus .. your tanks are mine!!!

Why CM is so damn good?

1. We-go

2. 3D-battlefields

3. You can play almost infinite number of different scenarios

4. Easily customisable (check all those cool mods!)

5. CM's replayability

6. Those damn/cool surprises you get in the game (units do their own decisions rather than obeying yours / when you order your spotter to hit that area with 300mm rockets and then notice that you suffered more than the enemy / your King Tiger is beaten by a sucky Sherman)

This game is not perfect - but it's damn good. Now when I have played CMBO for a while, I've noticed that there are number of "But I'd like to do that, but I cannot".

Fortunately for almost every single one of my wishes seems to be fulfilled in CMBB. CMBB seems to go as close to perfection as possible...

Dammit! Cannot wait...

Most of what has already been said.... military history buff; long time board wargamer; early computer wargamer. CM was the game I had always dreamed about, a wish fulfilled.

Beyond that, is the fact that after two years of regular play it is still eminently playable and can still produce surprises.

From what I have seen, at the previews, CMBB is going to.... well, Nidan, use the time waiting for it to draw up divorce papers ;)

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Why are there so many CMBO fanatics? I mean look at this forum. It's amazing!

What draws you to the game? Are you a WWII buff? Are you simply a gamer that knows a good game when you see one? A little more in depth than, "How old are you?"

I'm thinking this may get moved to a different part of the forum. If so I apologize in advance.

In short, it's the kind of wargame that many of us have waited for for a very long time. It's a game that makes you feel like you were there on the battlefiend instead of looking top-down on a bunch of old counters. It's also a game that strived for realism when many other publishers stopped making wargames all together or dumbed down what was left. It's a major step forward to computer grog heaven. The support from third party mod makers like Fernando, Bergman, Juju, and many others have put the game on a whole higher level. CMBO is a great example of how a game can be greatly enhanced when users' creativity are allowed to be used in the game. In a gaming world that seems to be producing more and more bargain bin games at a faster rate; BTS, with CMBO and soon-to-be CMBB, is a definite standout.

[ August 16, 2002, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

I've been playing CM for two years straight, rare is the night where I don't get in a a quick QB or go on line to take on a friend.

Simply the best (despite some gaffs) simulation of unit combat.

Its not so much what CM now IS (which is great) but what its potential IS

I hope in ten years to have a CMBO style BTS simulator that allows me to call up a random game, from a Japanese armour attack in Malaysia, 1942 to a fantasy battle between Rommel's 1942 Panzers and Egyptian 1967 Soviet armour having a meeting engagement over a bridge in European terrain.

Yehaaa

My dad is a WWII history buff, and he got me interested at an early age. Combat Mission has been the inevitable result of the following lifelong quest for combat realism.

-throwing dirt-clod hand grenades at friends

-endless battles with my Guns of Navarone action playset

-smashing my Matchbox and Corgi Tigers and Shermans into each other

-Mattel Intellivision Armor Battle

-digging into the avocado shag carpet for missing Panzer Blitz pieces

Ultimately leading to Combat Mission. So much has been said by others that I'll just say this--

--sure beats the hell out of dirt-clods. ;)

Ever since I started playing ASL back in the day, I have been looking for a computer game that was half the game ASL was! I have been through many many WWII games (Steel Panthers, Across the Rhine, V for Victory Series, ect.). Each one pretty much sucked in its own right; they were all missing the same excitement that ASL had for combat.

Then I bought Close Combat: Normandy. It was entertaining for a hour or two. I read a review of it by a player and they said if you want to play a real game, play Combat Mission. I downloaded the demo that night, and after 5 minutes of playing, I ordered the game.

What makes this game better than ASL? I think it has been stated above many times over, its just the 'feel' of a great game that you can play for years and never get tired of.

Bravo to BTS for such a dynmanic game that has drawn such a great fan base!

Chad Harrison

BTW, I suppose another reason that I love CM is because there are not Pimple faced retards who sit in front of the computer only to spit out foul language and twitch (our pimple faced players have a lot of maturity to them and a great asset to our community, keep it up boys!)