What draws you to this particular game....

Why are there so many CMBO fanatics? I mean look at this forum. It's amazing!

What draws you to the game? Are you a WWII buff? Are you simply a gamer that knows a good game when you see one? A little more in depth than, "How old are you?"

I'm thinking this may get moved to a different part of the forum. If so I apologize in advance.

I'm an old armor and history buff of longstanding.

Sometimes in those armor reference books, when you read about force size and engagement range, etc. it can seem pretty dry and lifeless. With CMBO when a Sherman engages a column of Stugs from 90 meters in a rainstorm you SEE what all that actually means! It's history come back to life.

What I like about it as a game is its diminished glorification of war. This is definitely not 'DOOM'. At the end of a scenario half your men are wounded, your equipment is destroyed and the town you went to liberate is burning... and it's your fault because of your bad leadership qualities. Bummer, dude!

;)

The more I play this game, the less concerned I am with the graphics, even the tanks. I enjoy the mods just as everyone else does but the tatics now come first. I love the "chess board" aspect of CM, playing a PBEM and having time to survey the battlefield to find out the best strategy to use in any given situation.

I also kinda dig on the fact that the AI will take over for me when I make a move that is completely absurd for that unit (I.E.--my halftrack is told to advance into line of sight of a Tiger.)

Other than that, I love how all the tactical layers of this game come together: the arty, mortars, towed guns, armor, all the different advantages and disadvantages of certain units...I never found this in other games.

I'm attracted to all the shiny SS uniforms and I use CM to prove to all naysayers that Germany should have won the War, and to help re-write history in my sick fantasy world.

Either that or the fact that the ASL rule book gives me a headache and CM makes wargaming actually fun for a change. ;)

Gyrene

Playing CM is like having a sore in your mouth. You know what it is going to hurt when you press it with your tongue, but you just can't stop. CM is so inferior to CC it isn't funny, but it is certainly amusing to come here and see how the

sycophantic masses rally behind BTS. I mean think about it, WW II battles were never bigger than a few dozen men - look at movies like A Midnight Clear, The Dirty Dozen, Saving Private Ryan, The Big Red One, and any episode of COMBAT! starring Vic Morrow that you care to name, or literature by the likes of Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert,

Russ Heath, Sam Glanzman and John Severin. Lesser literature by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee also makes it obvious that US forces rarely deployed in groups of more than a dozen or so men. World War Two simply never happened on a scale like CM portrays, yet the clowns here never seem to realize that CC got this aspect perfectly correct.

Force mixes are unrealistically homogenous in CM also. CC got this one right too. Check out literature by war veterans like Sven Hassel for proof that most battlegroups in WW II were platoon and company sized, with large mixes of SS, Army and Air Force troops all thrown together. You can't get this at all in CM.

Why play CM? It is nothing at all like a Sven Hassel book or issue of SGT ROCK. :rolleyes:

Long time interest in WWII weapons and tactics.

Psuedo real-time feel without the twitch.

Ease of use.

3D that matters.

Great community.

Stability of program.

Information contained in game.

<big><big>Infinite replayability!</big></big>

Originally posted by Gyrene:

I'm attracted to all the shiny SS uniforms and I use CM to prove to all naysayers that Germany should have won the War, and to help re-write history in my sick fantasy world.

Either that or the fact that the ASL rule book gives me a headache and CM makes wargaming actually fun for a change. ;)

Gyrene

BOTH excuses are good ones :D

that's about right smile.gif

great Comments Mr. Marine Guy! (very entertaining!)

-tom w

Infinite and very flexible replayability is right. You can play a huge, realistic scenario if you want - or relax with a 700 pt. quick battle.

The scale is great for gearheads. I've never played a game with such a realistic description of tanks, both on their own as as they fit into larger battles.

The interface is very intuitive and quick.

The Wego system is wonderful, and watching movie replays lets you feel some of the anticipation that commanders must have felt watching their men go into battle.

And the chess like aspect is very cool, too.

I do think that the forum adds a lot to the replayability, too, since you hear about tactics or even equipment that you haven't tried out, and feel an urge to try out different scenarios.

I can't wait for CMBB!

I find it to be the best, most realistic tactical simulator of small unit action available, bar none. Other turn-based games have many "gamey" techniques that are so inherent in the game as to be unavoidable. Real-time games tend to be "comic-book" in nature (see post above).

As someone indicated above, real tactics are a requirement here. Forego them and pay a price. Men's morale will falter as their comrades drop around them, units will start to run for the hills, and those that don't will start disobeying direct orders (or die following them).

The added ability to play this game online brings some of the satisfaction of the so-called "RTS" genre, without sacrificing this realism and the need for actual technique.

Simply put, this is the best wargame I've ever played, and I've played a lot. :eek:

The war game I have waited for all my life!!!

My wife hates it with a passion, but I tell her; "at least I am ignoring you at home, not in some bar with a strange woman"

Women are weird though, they make no distinction, cheating with a woman=playing CM when you should be having meaningful conversation.

As Ebenezer Scrooge once said "I'm too old to change" :eek:

Mr. Dorosh up above has a point! We've seen all the war movies and CMBO is nothing like them!

Shouldn't every U.S. infantry platoon be composed of one short goofy guy with a thick New York accent, one southern guy who's kind'a slow, one black guy, one muscleman, one former highschool teacher from Indiana? Oh yeh. And there should be a few generic 'nice guys' in the platoon too who would of course immediately be killed off. That's what it's like in the movies!

Oh yeh. And for the Germans we need at least one strutting aristocrat and a whole pile of totally incompetent overweight soldiers carrying smgs who aimlessly wander out of cover so they can be shot down on the cobblestones.

CMBO doesn't recreate any of this! How can you call this game accruate!

:mad:

Both of your reasons:

1) I am a WWII buff

2) I know a great game when I see one.

I've been gaming for blah blah years, and while CM may not be perfect, it is an order of magnitude better than everything else out there. These guys know games, and they know WWII, and CM oozes that from every pixel.

-dale

Mmm.. Grog or Gamer? I've been a wargamer for a long time and have served my time with AH/SPI boardgames, played Steel Panthers to death, single-handedly kept Talonsoft in business by buying every iteration of East Front etc. I've also always been interested in history, but fail the true Grog test as my eyes glaze over when confronted by a table of armour penetration values (this also happens when confronted by a table of wool exports in Tudor England). On the other hand I've always liked games, and ever since I got my sticky little hands on an Amiga 600 have been playing strategy games like X-COM and Civ. CMBO actually fulfills both needs.

So a long-winded way of saying a bit of both really.

Originally posted by dalem:

Both of your reasons:

1) I am a WWII buff

2) I know a great game when I see one.

I've been gaming for blah blah years, and while CM may not be perfect, it is an order of magnitude better than everything else out there. These guys know games, and they know WWII, and CM oozes that from every pixel.

-dale

I second that, though i consider myself a history buff and pretty awsome too boot. :D

Not to repeat what some have already said - but, 1. It is the most realistic war game out there.

2. The 3D feature.

3. The continuous new and improved mods that just keep making this game look so damn real like.

4. This forum. Not just the swell guys ( well some anyway ) :D but what you can learn here about weapons, war itself, ammo, tactics,etc etc etc.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Why are there so many CMBO fanatics? I mean look at this forum. It's amazing!

CM isn't a computer game, actually. It's a continuation of the development of tactical wargaming...which just happened to lead into computers. Hex type wargames and miniature gaming had a cult following, small but fanatic. This has naturally transferred over to CM.