Peng Tripods: Challenging The Myth

Remember when the most magical thing you could find was in your diaper? Think back and remember that tempting white wall in your bedroom. Brown smiley faces would adorn that wall when I was finished. I was the Salvatore Dali of fecal painting back in the day. It was much more water based when I found and consumed the contents of a vaseline jar. The volume of my mother's voice was increased considerably as she did NOT admire my artwork. I would offer some of the paint to her as a peace gift if you will. After the inevitable verbal castigation and cleaning, I was placed in my play pen. I found that I could wedge my enormous head in the floor of the play pen and look very closely at the rug underneath. Unfortunately, I would hear a screeching siren from out there somewhere and I would be plucked from my play pen paradise. More verbal castigation from my red faced mother and then I would be told to "be a good boy". I've tried since then to be "a good boy". Really.

Let me tell you about my grandfather. He used to smoke cigars and watch the Phillies game. I would sit on the floor next to him while he would tap the cigar ashes on my head sometimes. He meant well. "Popop" would also have that little earphone thing in his ear so he could listen to another game. He was a born multitasker. I found that nothing short of jumping up and down in front of the tv while yelling "Go Phillies" would really get his attention. He taught me most of the expletives that I use today. He was well versed in stringing together the noun expletives so that they would become adjectives or adverbs. The grammer and syntax wasn't always correct but the meaning was always clear. He also taught me that disparaging remarks about the other person's lineage was also an effective way to irritate the other person. He used to lovingly call me the "little wop" because of my father's Italian heritage. I knew Popop wanted a beer when I heard "hey stupid dago". Good times, then. He could do a little trick thing with his elbow because he used to be a tailgunner in WWII.

I miss him sometimes.

[ April 26, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Hiram Sedai ]

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by OGSF:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

I'm calling you out, Missy.

*one wildly bushy brow raised above a glaring steely blue eye*

SNIPPED! Because subjecting anyone to reading that more than once is, I believe, outlawed by the Geneva Convention and besides, I seem to have misplaced my "English to Erzats Scots Gibberish"dictionary. YE BASTARRRD!

1500 points, attack or defaind, saind at along laddie an' Ah'll sort ye oot agin!

SirMacOberGruppenBloodyStompinSicFeuhrerBastardABCDJimmy</font>

Well a week away workng and about 200 posts just read ,mmm, where to begin ,

Its good see the John Wayne thread finally gone to only be replaced by sci fic , Well my dad was at school with Patrick Stewart , Dad said that "The Captain" wasn't bald or any good at physics.

Updates

Boo just begun so nowt there

lars just finished , tactical victory for the Minnesota Air Force , nothing more nothing less

a j Still fighting R a R , it will be over eventually

Originally posted by Simon Elwen:

... Well my dad was at school with Patrick Stewart , Dad said that "The Captain" wasn't bald or any good at physics.

Have I ever mentioned that my 6th grade teacher had a brother-in-law who was a cameraman on the old Ben Casey TV series?

Joe

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Remember when the most magical thing you could find was in your diaper? Think back and remember that tempting white wall in your bedroom. Brown smiley faces would adorn that wall when I was finished. I was the Salvatore Dali of fecal painting back in the day. It was much more water based when I found and consumed the contents of a vaseline jar. The volume of my mother's voice was increased considerably as she did NOT admire my artwork. I would offer some of the paint to her as a peace gift if you will. After the inevitable verbal castigation and cleaning, I was placed in my play pen. I found that I could wedge my enormous head in the floor of the play pen and look very closely at the rug underneath. Unfortunately, I would hear a screeching siren from out there somewhere and I would be plucked from my play pen paradise. More verbal castigation from my red faced mother and then I would be told to "be a good boy". I've tried since then to be "a good boy". Really.

This was when? Like last week?

[sERIOUS]

In the last 24 hours or so, I have received several emails from PBEM partners and other, unknown individuals. These emails had odd names and attachments. I am not sure whether my computer was ever infected, but I did learn the emails had the W32.Klez.gen@mm virus. I believe the virus may have infected my computer before I caught it, so beware -- unless you are one of my PBEM opponents and receive a standard PBEM file from me, do not open any files with attachments that have my address on them unless you check them with an updated anti-virus program.

If you are not able to so do, email me and verify whether I sent you anything.

I have included the online description of the virus, as well as the link to Symantec's site regarding the virus.

Steve

Here is what the Symantec Anti-Virus labs have to say about this virus:

Due to an increased number of submissions, this threat has been upgraded to Category 4.

W32.Klez.gen@mm is a generic detection that detects variants of W32.Klez. Computers that are infected with W32.Klez.gen@mm are most likely infected with either W32.Klez.E@mm or W32.Klez.H@mm. Please refer to the appropriate write-ups for more information.

Removal tool

Symantec has provided a tool to remove infections of W32.Klez.E@mm, W32.Klez.H@mm, W32.ElKern.3587, and W32.ElKern.4926. If your computer is detected as infected with W32.Klez.gen@mm, download and run the tool. In most case, the tool will be able to remove the infection. Click here to obtain the tool.

This is the easiest way to remove these threats and should be tried first.

Type: Virus, Worm

Infection Length: Varies

Wild:

Number of infections: More than 1000

Number of sites: More than 10

Geographical distribution: Medium

Threat containment: Moderate

Removal: Difficult

Threat Metrics

Wild: Medium

Damage: Medium

Distribution: High

Damage:

</font>

• Payload: Infects the system with the W32.ElKern.3326 virus.</font>
  • Large scale e-mailing: Emails to addresses found in the address book.</font>
Distribution:</font>
  • Subject of email: Random subject</font>
  • Name of attachment: Random attachment with .BAT, .EXE, .PIF or .SCR extension</font>
  • Size of attachment: approximately 60KB</font>
  • Shared drives: Infects shared and mapped drives</font>

W32.Klez.gen@mm is a mass-mailing worm that searches the Windows address book for email addresses and sends messages to all recipients that it finds.

The worm uses its own SMTP engine to send the messages.

The subject and attachment name of incoming emails is randomly chosen. The attachment will have one of the following extensions: .bat, .exe, .pif or

.scr.

The worm exploits a vulnerability in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express in an attempt to execute itself when you open or even preview the message.

Information and a patch for the vulnerability can be found here

W32.Klez.gen@mm attempts to copy itself to all network shared drives that it finds.

Depending on which variant of the worm, the worm will drop one of the following viruses:

W32.Elkern.3326

W32.Elkern.3587

W32.Elkern.4926

which will then infect the system.

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP client, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.

If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied. Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services.

Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.

Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.

Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using

trusted media.

Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them.

Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

Removal using the removal tool

Symantec Security Response has developed a tool to remove infections of W32.Klez.E@mm, W32.Klez.H@mm, W32.ElKern.3587, and W32.ElKern.4926. Click here to obtain the tool. Because W32.Klez.gen@mm is a generic detection that detects variants of W32.Klez, computers that are infected with W32.Klez.gen@mm have most likely been exposed to either W32.Klez.E@mm or W32.Klez.H@mm. If your computer is detected as infected with W32.Klez.gen@mm, download and run the tool. In most case, the tool will be able to remove the infection.

This is the easiest way to remove these threats and should be tried first.

Revision History:

April 25, 2002. Upgraded to Category 4.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Steve[/sERIOUS]

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

[sERIOUS] I've got worms!!!!!!!!!!! {scratch, scratch...}

Steve[/sERIOUS]

Mum always said a good dose of Castor oil washed down with Epsom salts works wonders to rid you of those nasty, itchy ol' worms ..... ya' should try it!!

Incredibly helpfully as always,

AJ

Signature of MrSqueeker:

Australis et Gallia delenda est.

Translation - Latin to English.

'France must be destroyed.

Australia? Now that's different.

It's a bonza country full of great blokes and shielas.

Crikey, it's a marvelous country and geez am I cut not to be a dinky-di true blue.

But I am just the lowest of the low. Well almost, I'm almost a lawyer, but once I am admitted to the bar I finally reach rock-bottom.

Woe is me.'

Mace

PS I think it wonderful how much a little latin actually says.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

<font size="-1">An' here's the Berli! Lookit that! You can't barely see the sod, can yer?! Comes with refillable smoke pellets, so it does.</font>

Yeknod!

I know I have mentioned this to you before... DO NOT sell any more of those damned Berli figurines. i will not stand of Evil being comercialized. Want to sell Buddy Jesus statues, fine, but leave MY domain out!

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Have I ever mentioned that my 6th grade teacher had a brother-in-law who was a cameraman on the old Ben Casey TV series?

I saw Tom Selleck filming 'Magnum PI' on location in Hawaii in 1982.

Originally posted by Stuka:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

I saw Tom Selleck filming 'Magnum PI' on location in Hawaii in 1982.</font>

Ah saw Harry Secombe sink ain a bath tub ain Albert Park Lake ain the early '70s. Worse than tha', Molly Meldrum bumped aintae mae an a disco floor ain tha early '80s. Ah saw AC/DC playin' wi' tha Ted Mulry Gang as support ain' 1975 at tha Exhibition Building ain Carlton Gardens. Ah went oot wi' Roger Moore's neice fer two years boot Ah didnae thank hae knew tha wee lassie e'en existed.

Guest PondScum

Scum Update (you didn't think you'd get through the weekend without one, did you?):

Dalem's Hellhound continues to give me fits. My demoralized sturmtruppen are taking bets on what freak event it will just "happen" to cause next. Taking a panzerfaust penetration with no effect? Setting a large heavy building on fire with a single 37mm round? Disgorging two bren tripod teams? Lady Luck has yielded to the forces of darkness in this game. Oh yes, I am being f*cked by the fickle finger of fate, and no mistake.

(as a side note to my gamey-but-not-totally-compos-mentis petite general: the one known as Noba is squire to Slapdragon. Annoying, Australian, and dies easily. Three things that go together.)

Yeknodathon likes delaying the agony - we've been about to play the last turn in our little tete-a-tete for a week. I bet he's the type to pull a bandaid off veerrrrry slowwwwly, ouching with every millimeter. Courage, mon donkey! Embrace the pain! Send the turn!

MrSpkr has finally found some heroes in his battalion of old men and boys. Amidst the crack of .303 bullets, the whine of 95mm howitzer rounds, and the gentle rain of 25pdr shells, one lone squad of grandpas has decided that running away will just get them gunned down like all the rest. The decrepit old gummers have doubled the casualty rate of my army in one turn. I hates them.

Goanna is rumored to be showing his scaley hide this weekend. He may even still be playing me.

Ah saw Harry Secombe sink ain a bath tub ain Albert Park Lake ain the early '70s. Worse than tha', Molly Meldrum bumped aintae mae an a disco floor ain tha early '80s. Ah saw AC/DC playin' wi' tha Ted Mulry Gang as support ain' 1975 at tha Exhibition Building ain Carlton Gardens. Ah went oot wi' Roger Moore's neice fer two years boot Ah didnae thank hae knew tha wee lassie e'en existed.

Help Ma Boab, A dinnea ken whits happening, it's bin so lang since a last posted that a dinnae mind how tae dae it nae maer.....

[ April 27, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: YK2 ]

* YK2 wipes clean her screen after spluttering all over it*

Now that was FUNNY :D

Ah saw AC/DC playin' wi' tha Ted Mulry Gang as support ain' 1975 at tha Exhibition Building ain Carlton Gardens.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Every Aussie saw AC/DC because they used to do the pub circuit during the 70s, ya haggis eating scot.

Mace

Originally posted by Lars:

I once bought a beer from Wally the Beer Man at a baseball game.

Well, several beers really.

Well, big deal!! "Bomber" Beazley is my wife's cousin, 6 times removed...... {anyone for 7 or more?} Now THAT'S enough to make ANYONE spew!!

AJ