How many military vehicle owners out there?

I was just curious to see what sort of a menagerie of former military vehicles wound up in the hands of CM fanatics.

I don't currently own one, but at one time did have a '60's vintage M-151 MUTT. What a piece of junk...but fun to drive (slowly especially in turns).

If I could afford it, I'd love to have a WW2 jeep and perhaps something like an M-8 or M-20 for parades and toodling around in.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose 'Urban Combat Vehicles' don't count?

I have seen shots of the Indian military using stretched Suzuki Samurai's in the NorthWest Territories, and I believe (don't quote me on this) that there was a big stink a couple years ago because the Iraqi army had bought some KIA 4x4 SUVs (GASP!) despite the embargo.

I have a '94 Ford Explorer that drives like it's been through a war. Does that count?

BTW, I went for a short ride in a real German WWII HT at the museum in Poteau, Belgium in August. It was a hoot. I can see how you could get hooked on them.

Now where can I get a ride on a Sherman?

Does a guy in my home town with a camoed Citroen 2CV, jerry cans, racks etc count? it certainly stands out from the crowd!

Ex Foreign Legion Desert Recon?? I haven't the nerve to ask...

Also, does a GPz750R ala Top Gun count as a military vehicle (I did 'have control' in a Chipmunk a couple of times)? :D

I've got a 1942 Willys Jeep. According to records, it is the tenth oldest jeep in existence (ie registered and licensed). My dad (korean war vet) drives it in local memorial day and 4th of july parades. Thinking about mounting a fake .50 cal MG on it to make it look a little more military, but it has a great paint job and all the accessories. Always the hit of the parade.

Originally posted by mch:

Wow! who owns that Chief?

BTW, did anyone hear that story awhile back about the fellow in Sweden who had (among other things) a fully functional, armed Centurion Mk.V?

If I tell you who owns the Chieftain, I have to...you know...

It was rented out as to big corporations as a morale building tool, I am lean on details but hope to put more stuff on the site as I learn about it. Basically, you would go out on a weekend at company expense and learn to drive a tracked vehicle.

Originally posted by mch:

No chance of letting me borrow it then, eh? ;)

This site has some good ones for sale..Mostly eastern-bloc stuff..a few German toys.

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/

I've always had my eye on the Chinese motorbikes that were copies of WW II German ones; they were coming on the market at affordable rates. Maybe one day....