A big "thank you" to Adm. Keth

As posted HERE - some very sad news indeed.

I've posted some comments about the situation as I know it at TPG, but to summarize, I'll help Keith however I can to help him get TSD up in some fashion. I don't know what his plans are - with a new job, he may not have the time to manage the large task at hand, I don't know.

I just wanted to thank him for his years of support for our hobby and the games and the inspiration that he provided to me to create TPG in an effort to have the cream of the crop scenarios posted to his site, TSD.

Thanks Keith!!!!!!

Originally posted by Admiral Keth:

All,

The worst has come to pass. My web host, without so much as a "by your leave", has vanished. Email, database, files...all gone without any notice. The support phone number he provides is useless...the vmail box is full, preventing additional complaints (apparently I'm not alone in my extreme ire). Numerous emails go unanswered.

You have no idea how angry and embarrassed I am at this point. I feel as though I have let down the CM community. I genuinely apologize.

Thanks Keith!

And don´t be embarrased at all!

I have a feeling you will rise up TSD greater than ever like a Phoenix bird from ashes! Let the old dragon to its lair and introduce the new world of TSD if and when you have time!

Thanks for your works for the community, hope to see around and maybe in the new tsd.

Regards

LT

OBIT:

Admiral Keth announced today the untimely passing of the SCENARIO DEPOT, one of the most useful and entertaining sites for Combat Mission players and itinerant designers and tinkerers worldwide.

The Depot suffered from bad, evil, dastardly webhosting although the new and improved version had seemed robust up until the time of its death.

As a repository of scenarios (and incidentally a kind of informal history of CM gaming throughout the years) the Depot was unparalleled.

[On a personal note, this correspondent would like mention that the very existence of the Depot had pushed him toward being a scenario designer in the first place.]

The community of CM'rs worldwide are saddened by the passing of the Depot, and, although encouraged by the thought of some of its wisdom (and data) being passed on to The Proving Ground, wish to express our deepest sympathies to Keith; sincere thanks for all his hard work; and best wishes for the future.

jbertles

Yeh, we found out earlier with cmmods.com's having gone down (temporarily, thank goodness) that web-based communities can be all too ephemeral. I can think of a pile of my favorite sites that are now history. One of these days someone somewhere is going to find a reason to unplug this BFC chat group too!

I'm not saying this sites not going to remain active for a long long looong time, but its inevitably inevitable.

I feel like I've lost a good friend.

It's funny how you can start to take for granted something like the Depot will be around for as long as CM is around.

Thanks Adm. Keth for all the work you've done. It was great while it lasted.

I hope Battlefront realizes how much value it brought with keeping players interested in the different CM games.

I've used that site probably more than all the rest put together and I've been here since the Beta days.

I'm really going to miss having a searchable data base.

Good luck in your all future endeavors Adm. Keth and thanks again.

Edited so people won't know what Dorosh is talking about. smile.gif

[ July 20, 2005, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Ted ]

It is indeed tragic when so much effort is lost and all the Admiral's good work undone. I know little of the web sie of life but it does strike me whether we , the community , has the power to back-up or mirror these important sites.

I have 2-3 redundant computers sitting here and web-space I am not using - it does seem that something should be possible...?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ted:

I feel like I've lost a good friend.

And yet you spell his name incorrectly no less than three times. :D

Not to worry, so did GJK, Larry and Gpig also.... ;) </font>

I'm sorry about the demise of The Scenario Depot as well. On a lot of different levels.

For you, because it was your baby and was done as a labor of love.

For me, because I spent many an hour there.

For the CM community, for all the support you gave them and a place to put their own labors of love.

And while I will miss The Scenario Depot if you never get it back up and running I have been enriched far beyond what the Scenario Depot alone could have done.

I have met friends on TSD that will be with me for a lifetime. For that I am eternally grateful.

[ July 20, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Panther Commander ]

I hope for a Phoenix as well, but its depressing to think that about 3000 scenarios in the three CM games have just winked out. Even if a stable new home were to be found (I hope you're thinking about this, Matt) the labor involved in re-posting all those scenarios would be daunting. Many scenarios will be permanently lost.

The Depot was an important asset for keeping the games alive, and I hope that BFC can find a way to sponsor a rebirth on a secure and stable site. The key will be to work it out so that it doesn't involve any allocation of BFC time. I would hope that BFC could look into setting up a new Scenarion Depot section at CMHQ run by the Admiral.

[ July 21, 2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Originally posted by Philippe:

I hope for a Phoenix as well, but its depressing to think that about 3000 scenarios in the three CM games have just winked out. Even if a stable new home were to be found (I hope you're thinking about this, Matt) the labor involved in re-posting all those scenarios would be daunting. Many scenarios will permanently lost.

The Depot was an important asset for keeping the games alive, and I hope that BFC can find a way to sponsor a rebirth on a secure and stable site. The key will be to work it out so that it doesn't involve any allocation of BFC time. I would hope that BFC could look into setting up a new Scenarion Depot section at CMHQ run by the Admiral.

I second you on that mate! The Scenario Depot was a great place to advertise the Combat Mission games.Someone would buy one of the games, find the SD site and see all the great( well, most of them! ) scenarios there. He would then want to play the other scenario's so would go out and buy a different CM game. Either that or he would tell his mates about it, they would buy the game and download a scenario to play via PBEM.

With the CM games, I have made some wonderful friends from around the world and the scenario depot played an important part in that.

I'm not saying that Battlefront should run a server to help keep the CM games alive but I do feel they could help out in some small way to support a website which promotes the CM games the way the SD site did.

Originally posted by Philippe:

I hope for a Phoenix as well, but its depressing to think that about 3000 scenarios in the three CM games have just winked out. Even if a stable new home were to be found (I hope you're thinking about this, Matt) the labor involved in re-posting all those scenarios would be daunting. Many scenarios will be permanently lost.

Crap, the Depot was the best place to get scenarios.

I have to agree that this is something BFC really needs to look at, for all their games. Makes good sense from a business standpoint.

The title says it all. I'll add "many."

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

Co-creator & Sponsor of the following CM tournaments:

</font>

[ July 21, 2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]