A big "thank you" to Adm. Keth

I would say "This is a war Crime". those responsible need to be found and shot.

So many scenarios and so little time, but I am

thankful for those that I have had the pleasure to use from those of you who had posted there.

I was planning to post a few dozen that I have worked on these last few years, to give something back, Oh well!!

I will miss the site.

I hope Battlefront realizes how much value it brought with keeping players interested in the different CM games.

I've used that site probably more than all the rest put together and I've been here since the Beta days.

I'm really going to miss having a searchable data base.

They certainly should consider putting a bit more thought into this. The longevity of the game is greatly enhanced by player made scenarios. I for one would of stopped playing CM a long time ago but for the depot.

Gawd, all that work --- all those many man-hours, not just by Admiral Keth, but by everyone who ever sweated out the details to a scenario --- gone. Instantly. Without warning.

****e.

Like somebody on the other page said, BFC needs to look at maintaining their own Scenario Downloads section.

I agree, BFC should host a scenario download site. With CMX2 looking like its at least 6-9 months away, they should be working to maintain a high amount of interest in CM until that time. Its word-of-mouth that will sell CMX2, not a traditional media blitz, and if their base becomes disinterested and moves on that will hurt CMX2 sales.

Keith,

I want to also say thank you for all that your site had done to increase my CM enjoyment.

I have to admit to being one of those who used your site for years, but never posted reviews (because a combination of laziness and belief that my opinions were less educated than many other CM players). I personally regret the loss of such a wonderful repository, your loss of hours/passion invested, and possibly the loss of some scenario/operations/maps/reviews gone forever.

Although it may be gone, it was a true gem while it lasted. Thanks so much!

An intermediate step that might be possible would be for the Admiral, provided that he actually has copies of all the scenarios, to put them into a giant zip and post them at CMMODS as a temporary measure.

Though scenario files aren't that large these zips would still be rather big, given how many sceanrios there are. Perhaps dividing each game into groups of 10 Mb zips would do the trick. That way he wouldn't have to post everything all at once, and a 10 Mb upload, though not exactly comfortable, can still be worked into an evening if you have a dial-up. The project could be spread out over several weeks, if necessary, as an interim preservation step while deciding about what the final solution should be.

I only mention this in the hopes that that scenario collection is not totally. I would be very sad if the only encyclopedic copy went up in smoke with the death of the website.

Just wanted to mention that although I probably used The Depot less than most, when I heard the news the other day I went ahead and puked on my shoes anyway.

So yes, thanks Admiral. It no way did it die in vain!

And I also support the not-so-new idea of a massive Battlefront repository. I know it's a huge investment in many ways, but IMHO it's well past due and and if there is any way to make it happen, please do.

Hell, I'm going to say it: People would pay for it. :D

And no I haven't done a cost/benefit analysis. Only the fellers can do that. But surely they can make it at least a wash financially.....not so sure about the emotion/mental side.

Someone should start a thread. Double :D !

[runs]

Very sad indeed. But let's not forget that something new and even better might come from this. I expect/suspect that someone will recreate an even larger and more user friendly archive with scenarios so great that we have never before seen their likeness. Glory lies ahead of us, I tell you!

Originally posted by Philippe:

An intermediate step that might be possible would be for the Admiral, provided that he actually has copies of all the scenarios, to put them into a giant zip and post them at CMMODS as a temporary measure.

I just sent him a note about doing this. Also, he and I will discuss hosting database style version of TSD at cmmods.com

Thanks.

Great ideas:

1) Host the new TSD at CMMODS.

if not

2) make TPG our one stop shop for scenarios. What's the status of that suggestion?

Whatever happens, gregories.net has space and bandwidth now ... if someone wants to help me make it a backup for the new TSD, and a backup for cmmods, let me know how we do it.

GaJ.

Ahhhh ... an era passes. I remember e-mail discussions with him over the potential problems to arise from his first "mega-pack" before there ever was a SD.

RIP SD.

[Keith, if you read this, send me an e-mail. I'd like to discuss something concerning the SD with you]

[ July 29, 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Agua ]