IT'S TIME for Battlefront to announce.......

patboy

They are not ready yet.

From the hints and bones in those two BIG threads the engine may NOT be completed far enough actual be able to render a sceen shot. Mostly Steve is just talking about IDEAS and their desire to design and develop the game along some specific lines of development and evolution. (THAT does not sound like something you can render a screenshot off and show to the forum :( )

BUT they do keep saying it WILL look gorgeous by about this time NEXT year.

(I think)

-tom w

Originally posted by patboy:

or to show us some news from CMX2 ..... I feel that, because (I've this impression) many people seem disinterested about CM's old versions, It was good games but now graphically we can do better ! WE WANT SCREENSHOTS, MANY MANY PLS. :D

Pat.

I don't get this, give us Info now attitude.

Its like being on a RTS forum at times,Expantion-Expantion-Expantion.I don't know about you all but I am still having a ton of fun with CMAK. Between CMBB and AK alone will fill my wargaming appetite for years to come. And I totaly agree suprise us with a demo when its time

Originally posted by Denwad:

I'd actually like the team to not release any screenshots or concrete evidence

suprise us with a demo when you think you're ready

there is a good idea

JUST blow us ALL away with the Demo when it is ready to for prime-time, until then no screen shots.

That might be sort of "harsh" for many here, BUT keeping the screen shots out of the public eye until the release of the demo would build excitement and huge anticipation the way no other game has ever done.

(or not) smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

[...] keeping the screen shots out of the public eye until the release of the demo would build excitement and huge anticipation the way no other game has ever done.[...]

Maybe for all-out fans like you and me, but I doubt it would be a successful way to expand the fan base. Beside, and you can mark my word, when BFC announce they have things ready, I'm sure we'll all be lurking around like crazy to get a glimpse of where this thing is going. smile.gif

Cheers

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Denwad:

I'd actually like the team to not release any screenshots or concrete evidence

suprise us with a demo when you think you're ready

there is a good idea

JUST blow us ALL away with the Demo when it is ready to for prime-time, until then no screen shots.

That might be sort of "harsh" for many here, BUT keeping the screen shots out of the public eye until the release of the demo would build excitement and huge anticipation the way no other game has ever done.

(or not) :)

-tom w </font>

I think it is time to remind the everyone of BFC's long standing dictum..."When it is ready." This applies to teaser posts as well the product. I am anxiously awaiting CMX2 as well another game from competitor and I encourage everyone to leave them alone so they will get it done faster. Both companies take a great deal of pride in releasing a quality playable product on the first try and follow this rule.While the anticipation is agonizing they do not dissapoint. It is in their best interests to get the game to market so I wouldn't worry too much about it becoming vaporware. My big hope is that we can get through download.

One of the side effects of building the game around the game engine and not the graphics is that screenshots and concept art probably aren't quite as much in evidence as with an FPS. I want good graphics, and moddable graphics, but the game engine is more important. Let them get the fundamentals right by concentrating on what's underneath the hood, then move on to the immersion factor and the paint job.

It is nice to think that someone somewhere is diligently doing art for for the next CM engine - but maybe they're not. I recall it was quite a way into testing the old CMBB Beta (back last century) that a lot of units were still painted in 'clown colors' (simple squares of color for placeholder bmp art). It wasn't until the final moment that the last of the art finally fell into place. With CMBB under their belt CMAK came together more smoothly - but some art was still late in coming. I'd bet (based on absolutely no hard info) that the new engine is mostly running on placeholder art and sample graphics, and it won't be looking 'pretty' for another 5-6 months.

When we have something to show, you'll be the first to know smile.gif While it is true that the graphics engine was done first, that is not the same as the graphics and models. We have the engine pretty much complete, but nothing has been done for graphics or models yet. The test graphics and models in there right now are, well, a little underwhelming to look at smile.gif

As others have said... it will be ready when it is ready, so no timeframe exists on when you might see things. We are, however, still shooting for a winter 2005/6 release.

Steve

Originally posted by patboy:

or to show us some news from CMX2 ..... I feel that, because (I've this impression) many people seem disinterested about CM's old versions, It was good games but now graphically we can do better ! WE WANT SCREENSHOTS, MANY MANY PLS. :D

Pat.

If all the recent bones threads don't count as news, I don't know what does. As for disinterest in CMAK

1) Where's there any evidence of that? Why are we all refreshing hourly at B&T to sign up for ROW V if there's so much disinterest?

2) How is stimulating talk about CMx2 going to help?

Well done BFC for not flaming this guy to death. It must have been tempting!

[ January 26, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

1) Where's there any evidence of that? Why are we all refreshing hourly at B&T to sign up for ROW V if there's so much disinterest?

You are? Never thought wine had that much of an incentive to push pixel soldiers around on battlefield...

Originally posted by rune:

Too early in the process, and asking for it will not change anything. Patience, when it is time, we will post screenshots.

Rune

We?! Stop saying 'We'! You are not a god! You're a horrible little man in Chicagoland! I could drive there! I could lie on your front lawn singing bawdy songs, and accosting your neighbours, offering to share with them 'a cooling and/or heating drink!' I could get the neighbourhood association to boot you out! I could frighten your children, and horrify your wife!

That doesn't happen to gods. They live far, far away, in a land where there are no people.

Maine, perhaps...

Originally posted by WineCape:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

You are? Never thought wine had that much of an incentive to push pixel soldiers around on battlefield... </font>

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

[snipp] I continue to plot the next killer feature of McMMM, to try to get it on the wine list :D )

It's good to hear you are working on that. Mighty useful tool there. I suppose you want to keep those killer features secret up to release point ? Care to tell us when that would be ?

I guess this almost qualify as a bone :D .

Cheers

Originally posted by Tarkus:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

[snipp] I continue to plot the next killer feature of McMMM, to try to get it on the wine list :D )

It's good to hear you are working on that. Mighty useful tool there. I suppose you want to keep those killer features secret up to release point ? Care to tell us when that would be ?

I guess this almost qualify as a bone :D .

Cheers </font>

I could lie on your front lawn singing bawdy songs, and accosting your neighbours, offering to share with them 'a cooling and/or heating drink!' I could get the neighbourhood association to boot you out! I could frighten your children, and horrify your wife!
I think Rune has already done most of this himself.