The Peng Challenge Thread Rulz

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

BTW, in framing my reply, I was assuming that by "hometown" you were referring to the place I was born, namely Mobile, Alabama, and that you had come across that fact in some old thread where I mentioned it. All my comments referred to that place.

Michael

Actually, it was a combination of the ever present banjo, the bib overalls, the hayseeds constantly dropping from your ears and the chawin' tabaccy stained teeth that clued us all in.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Your ways, you are so unfailingly polite and kind, a gentlemans behaviour.

Yep. That's the real me, and don't believe what this ragtag bunch of scalawags say.

Should I read your post imagining a Alabama dialect?
Not unless you're a Southerner too. Dialect is something I turn on and off pretty much at will. I use it when talking to other Southerners or to create a specific dramatic or comic effect. But I don't normally talk that way.

Wait a minute, WA means Washington state right? So you're very much at the other end of the entire continent now then? Why would anyone leave the sun like that?
Because I got tired of unbearably muggy, sweltering summers, for one thing. Besides, I live in a corner of the state that is actually very sunny and with mild temperatures pretty much the year round. In fact, I suspect that the winters here, though longer, are actually milder than the ones I had in Mobile as a boy.

Michael

Not unless you're a Southerner too. Dialect is something I turn on and off pretty much at will. I use it when talking to other Southerners or to create a specific dramatic or comic effect. But I don't normally talk that way.

So the Elmer Fudd voice is your normal voice?
Because I got tired of unbearably muggy, sweltering summers, for one thing. Besides, I live in a corner of the state that is actually very sunny and with mild temperatures pretty much the year round. In fact, I suspect that the winters here, though longer, are actually milder than the ones I had in Mobile as a boy...

...when Huck, Becky and I spent our days running from Injun Joe...

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dandelion:

I don't really want your real life exposed

Neither do we. Now stop talking of people "exposing" themselves; you'll get poor Boo all excited.

Steve </font>

Headline and first paragraph of news article:

Utah Study Links Obesity and Bad Knees

May 06, 2005 7:24 PM EDT

SALT LAKE CITY - As Americans continue to get bigger, you can add knee problems to the list of ailments they are likely to face after lugging around extra pounds.

Notice that this study was conducted in the city where Old Foul Joe resides. (I didn't say "lives" because... well, it's Joe for cryin' out loud.)

I wonder how much money was spent on this study that points out the blindingly obvious?

Would we be wrong in blaming Joe for this?

I doubt it.

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Headline and first paragraph of news article:

Utah Study Links Obesity and Bad Knees

May 06, 2005 7:24 PM EDT

SALT LAKE CITY - As Americans continue to get bigger, you can add knee problems to the list of ailments they are likely to face after lugging around extra pounds.

Notice that this study was conducted in the city where Old Foul Joe resides. (I didn't say "lives" because... well, it's Joe for cryin' out loud.)

I wonder how much money was spent on this study that points out the blindingly obvious?

Would we be wrong in blaming Joe for this?

I doubt it.

{sigh} ... you're quite right Boo Radley, this is just another example of dumb things done in this state.

They once refused to require child restraint seats because it was "undue governmental interference on private lives."

Another small community near here refused to allow anyone to purchase a single can of beer in a convenience store since that was proof positive that you were going to drink it in the car ... so you had to buy a six pack and get really blitzed.

All in all about the only good thing that you can say for Utah is ... it ain't Ohio.

Joe

It's a sad, sad day when your old Justicar for Life of the Peng Challenge Thread has to admit that he's been neglectful about one thing or another.

It's not my fault, mind you, that, as with most tragic events, can be rightfully laid at the door of Seanachai.

Like most gnomes, Seanachai is attracted to bright, new things. He sees a shiny new penny and he just has to pick it up. He sees a new movie advertised and he has to go see it. He sees some cute chick playing a dulcimer on TV and he has to start stalkin ... uh ... reading up on dulcimers. But he tires of them all too soon and is off to his next shiny new things.

So it is here in the CessPool. A new lad shows up and Seanachai is all for making him a Knight on the spot. Were it not for the watchful eye of the Justicariate we'd be inundated with sub-caliber Knights before you could say Boo Radley. But I remind Seanachai and he settles for declaring a Serf ... then he forgets about it and he forgets his responsibility to that poor, unattended Serf. Why the lad hasn't even been given a pissbucket to carry so we can tell his status.

I've just learned, as a prime example of this Latchkey Liegeship ... dom ... stuff, that Egbert (spelt but not bolded), whom I've been berating as an SSN, is actually a Serf of the CessPool! That's right a Serf and whom do you suppose was his proposer?

Right again, Seanachai again. But did Seanachai follow up on his responsibility? Did he guide the lad in the proper direction to gain his eventual Squiredom? HE DID NOT!

For shame, Seanachai, for shame.

Joe

[ May 07, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Joe Shaw ]

Well, Seanachai tends to be forgetful. I think somewhere around his five thousandth gallon of raw hootch, his neurons started to give out, just as some folks' knees start to go if they put on too much weight and also reside in Utah.

Seanachai can still play tennis, however. Though he does tend to pick up the racket by the wrong end and loses track of what he's supposed to do with the ball. More than once he's tried to use the net for a hammock.

Michael

Well, I know I haven't posted much lately, and I could tell how concerned all you wankers were from the veritable flood to emails that deluged my inbox querying me on whether I was alright.....

but Real Life has thrown me a few curveballs lately, and I have been unable to devote the time to the Cesspool that it really deserves.

And now, I must take my leave for approximately 18 months. The balmy sands of that garden spot of the Middle East call, yes, friends and neighbors, I get to go work on my tan in the lovely Iraq.

sigh, this sucks.

Alright, you all have a good year and a half, I am going to save up some doozies while away, and greatly look forward to unleashing them upon you.

Rune, look after the store while I am away.

Seanachai, try not to get lost in the tall grass.

Moraine , keep being your lovely self, and try to keep these Neanderthals in line.

edited because I can

BTW, in framing my reply, I was assuming that by "hometown" you were referring to the place I was born, namely Mobile, Alabama,

You must be joking. I thought I was the only Kanniget born in Mobile, AL.

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

BTW, in framing my reply, I was assuming that by "hometown" you were referring to the place I was born, namely Mobile, Alabama,

You must be joking. I thought I was the only Kanniget born in Mobile, AL. </font>

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dalem:

You must be joking. I thought I was the only Kanniget born in Mobile, AL. </font>

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Right again, Seanachai again. But did Seanachai follow up on his responsibility? Did he guide the lad in the proper direction to gain his eventual Squiredom? HE DID NOT!

Ya gotta remember that Seanachai is kinda like an old, senile dog. He brings things he finds home, but soon forgets about them... unfortunately, he also forgets to bury them in the back yard as well. As an Olde One, Seanachai is like a dead weight hanging from Peng and I's necks. Pity some enterprising young cesspool buck doesn't off the bastard

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Ya gotta remember that Seanachai is kinda like an old, senile dog. He brings things he finds home, but soon forgets about them... unfortunately, he also forgets to bury them in the back yard as well. As an Olde One, Seanachai is like a dead weight hanging from Peng and I's necks. Pity some enterprising young cesspool buck doesn't off the bastard </font>

You and I had this discussion months ago.

You've been hanging around Seanachai and trying to outdrink him too long. Your neurons are giving out too.

Michael

Ahh, that's a distinct possibility.

Hmm. My dog just went from perfectly normal to vibrating and panting uncontrollably in the space of 20 seconds.

Looks like a) there's a storm coming in, and B) I'm gonna be up all night.