ROW III - The Boots and Tracks CMBB tourney (Part 4)

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Guys,

AFAIK, the scenarios were all designed and tested on v1.02. I'll leave it up to you and your opponent to choose which patch to use, but you both must use the same patch. Otherwise you'll end up with two different scores.

Wouldn't it be important that everyone use the same patch. Changes from patch to patch in AI reactions, bug fixes, ect... could have drastic effects on the possible outcomes. Take King of Deb for example. Hitting the Allied AT guns placed on the far side of the rail line was a real pain, but at least it would have been a real pain for everyone. If someone went back and played that scenario in 1.01, then that player could have had a signifigantly easier time with it as the Axis, skewing the scoring. Eveyone should play under the same patch version so everyone has to deal with the same rules, AI code, bugs, ect...

I would say that everyone should use 1.02, since that is the lates official patch that is available for both US and non US versions.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now have 12 players signed up to play the finals scenarios. They are broken up into 4-man sections. The first 2 sections have already been sent their scenarios, briefings and passwords, but I need the e-mail address of Sgt Abell to send to the last section.

Sgt Abell (or anyone who knows his e-mail address) please contact me asap so that I can get you guys started.

I just thought I would throw this in as a by the by. Fellow ROW'ers may be interested to know that I finally received a note on the 15th May from Australia Post (our local postal service) that a package had arrived to be collected from their depot. By all descriptions it was a box with half a dozen bottles of wine contained within having been sent from South Africa.

Trying not to get too excited since I had already waited for around 6 months I casually asked the postal employee on the phone what the ticked box at the back of the delivery note meant. He explained that the box titled "Customs Dept." meant that the payment of customs duty was probably required. After making further enquiries it turns out that the good ol' Australian Customs Dept. has assesed the value of the half dozen bottles of wine to attract customs duty of $66! Based on this information it would seem that the bottles of wine will either be consumed by those fine fellows at Australia Post or sent back to Winecape for non delivery.

This is not a slight on Winecape in any way as he very generously sent the wine off as promised and did all he could to ensure the prize was received but it appears he has not tackled the likes of our customs officials before. Suffice to say, I won't be paying $66 for the privilige of taking possesion of the ROW III prize and now wish that someone else from another country had won it so it at least goes to someone worthwhile. It goes without saying that in future I wont be trying quite so hard for those victories as the beurocratic nightmare one has to tackle to take posession of any hard fought prizes one may win simply is not worth the effort!

:rolleyes:

Regards

Jim R.

KR, That really sucks... (Or not as the case will be as they stay outside your reach).

:(

Especially when you consider how much wine your country produces and that amount of duty is way out of order.

Perhaps you could appeal and say that it was a gift?

I wonder if that sort of rule applies for all countries?

On another note The Bridge is underway and I must say hats off for a most interesting design and concept. I hope it plays as well as it first appears.

I thought Rear Guard was innovative and the Beast was a challenge, this one has you on the edge of your seat from the 1st minute. I recommend the Cpl does not play the Germans, you won't like it!!!

Mind you I am not too happy with the AI as certain units have done things that ensure their death and the stupidity is beyond me. Needless to say the roller coaster ride of emotions has started.

I just hope it is not like our game KR where I could not get off and it turned out being a horror ride of death and foul words.

;)

H

Originally posted by Holien:

KR, That really sucks... (Or not as the case will be as they stay outside your reach).

:(

Especially when you consider how much wine your country produces and that amount of duty is way out of order.

Perhaps you could appeal and say that it was a gift?

Thanks for your thoughts H

I wonder if that sort of rule applies for all countries?
No idea. I can't imagine any other country could have as pernicious a Customs Dept. as good ol' Aus. has but I could be wrong. Just to add a bit more to the story, it now turns out they can't find the package anymore and are "searching" for it at the moment. I wonder if the red stained empty wine glasses in the store-room are any hint?

On another note The Bridge is underway and I must say hats off for a most interesting design and concept. I hope it plays as well as it first appears.
I also have the (mis)fortune of playing the Germans in this one. Judging by the look of the setup I don't like my chances. :(

I thought Rear Guard was innovative and the Beast was a challenge, this one has you on the edge of your seat from the 1st minute. I recommend the Cpl does not play the Germans, you won't like it!!!

Mind you I am not too happy with the AI as certain units have done things that ensure their death and the stupidity is beyond me. Needless to say the roller coaster ride of emotions has started.

Great! Something to look forward to then. I could do with a few more downers. :(

I just hope it is not like our game KR where I could not get off and it turned out being a horror ride of death and foul words.

;)

H

I've heard worse.

BTW H. I know I owe you a game but I'm a bit busy with these 3 extra games on top of some I have going in tournaments instituted via the Band of Brothers BBS. I promise I'll send you a setup once my card clears up but you may have to remind me occasionally. ;)

Regards

Jim R.

Note: Edited to fix a couple of spelling mistakes etc.

[ June 02, 2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]

Hello fellow ROW'ers!

It's been a while since I played this marvellous game and tell you the truth, haven't yet played a single game of CMBB (have bought it though).

I also owe Holien a rematch and as soon as I find time I will contact you and you can try to revenge that dreadful night fight. Still afraid of the dark? ;)

KR, I also received my Wines and they costed me about 3$ a bottle. It seems our Finnish Customs is a bit more merciful than yours in Australia.

I said to Customs that it was a gift, so I only had to pay the Finnish Alcohol Taxes (or something like that).

KR don't worry. Not the prices, but the FAME and the CHICKS that follow after the ROW victory :cool:

Holien, are we going to hear what British Customs charge after these finals?

And of course, Many thanks to Winecape, wines have been delicious.

Cheers,

Ali

Section 1-6 is now underway, and I have two more signed up. I still need two more players to get section 1-7 up and running. Any volunteers from the regular tourney that would like to try out the finals scenarios?

Regarding the wine, while having to pay customs may be a hassle, at least you can get the wine. Here in sunny Florida it is a felony to ship wine to anyone other than a licensed distributor, which has resulted in my having to turn down two seperate gifts from Winecape (I know Treeburst had the same problem). This has prompted me to welcome every member of the Florida legislature to kiss my hairy ass!

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Section 1-6 is now underway, and I have two more signed up. I still need two more players to get section 1-7 up and running. Any volunteers from the regular tourney that would like to try out the finals scenarios?

Sure, sign me up if there is still room for me. Not getting utterly trounced as a replacement was a surprise and a joy for me.

E-mail is in the profile.

Thanks.

Ahhh Hahhh Ali is loitering around the forum.

I wondered where you had snuck off to.

As for British Customs charges I don't think they will be heading my way.

Your cohort in Finland seems to be doing a good job and I guess your advice will be more relevant to him.

I think Florida sucks even worse than Australia for crappy rules.

Anyway it is not the wine as nice as it would be.

It is more playing special scenarios blind against other good opponents. While there have been afew bad games on the whole each ROW has stood out for great game play and stunning scenarios.

I still shake when I think about some of the games I have played.

"Fire on the Mountain"

"Ranville"

"High cost of Real Estate"

"Dompaire"

"Emville Exit"

"Head for the Hills"

"St Mere Eglise"

"The Beast"

H

P.s. Cpl I was joking about the "Bridge". It has the potential to be one of the best scenarios I have seen and the idea behind it is great. Playing for fun would be a blast as the pressure is eased slightly.

;)

[ June 02, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Hi Pacestick.

I have access to the net at work but not the game.

The last couple of nights I have been focused on The Bridge and managed a few turns with our Finish friend.

Not too happy with the progress of that game and I have learnt some news about it which is upsetting that I did not know before I started. Most probably my fault but still this game is not one of my best and I will be surprised if I do not crash and burn from it. Of course I know that it all depends on others but I really do have a good feel for things by now after three tourneys.

No discredit to Juho who is playing very very well.

I have your setup to do and that map is not very inspiring (when compared to the other two) I need to sit down and spend several hours trying to get to grips with what to do.

I am not sure you will get your set up before I go away for my Stag Weekend in Normandy on Thursday night. I will see what I can do tonight.

I will be back Tuesday next week and will again have to find quality time to do the set up.

My enthusiam for the whole tourney has been dented again and again with one thing and another. I just hope that I can give you and MPisi decent games.

H

Originally posted by Holien:

[QBNot too happy with the progress of that game and I have learnt some news about it which is upsetting that I did not know before I started.

H [/QB]

What news are you referring to? You did receive the briefings, right? Just wanted to be sure.

E-mail me at my home address.

KF E-mail on way.

Open response is that there was absolutely nothing to do with you and just a quirk of the scenario.

I will explain exactly in my e-mail.

So no sweat on your front.

If it had been you you would have heard directly. smile.gif

Perhaps phrased as a poll.

;)

H

Originally posted by JPS:

To Frunze & MikeyDz: my email server is acting "funny", I can't get outgoing email to work...

JPS

I did get an e-mail from you, so maybe this got fixed? If not, have you considered setting up another account, maybe on Yahoo, or wasn't somebody offering free mail accounts to tourney players that would let them send and receive large attachments?

In other news, I finally got an e-mail from Bryce Baker, but it was blank.