The Longest Mod Preview part 3.1415926 (Finally posted 5/26/2005)

Ok, I've got a set of weathering techniques for this beast that I'm pretty happy with, so I thought I'd solicit feedback to see if this is what the mod using community is looking for. The turret is still unweathered, while the hull sides and skirt are pretty much done, and the front hull is about 50% done.

Weathered_KT.jpg

So, is this what folks are looking for in a King Tiger mod? If not, what are people looking for?

Speak now or forever hold your peace, as I think I can see the light at the end of this (mod) tunnel.

Thanks.

[ May 26, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Gordon ]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some mods that when you look at them you can tell that the different surface panels were drawn.

On your mods when you look at them you can tell that the different panels were soddered and riveted together.

And I love the weathering around the edges.

Why is it that I thought you didn't like the ambush camo pattern?

"Add black smoke on gun"

Nooooo!!! Don't listen to him! I'd say you should add black to the end of the gun barrel only if you can locate a photo of a real 88 gun barrel with a black smokey end.

About weathering the turret, my opinion is the higher up you get on the vehicle the less wear-and-tear it'll experience. The fenders look great. The turret shouldn't have a third of that wear, though.

[see what happens when you ask for other peoples advice?]

I second the motion.

Release that!

- yeh, I know what you're going to say. it'll take you another month just to put a correctly proportioned cross on the side of the turret. May I suggest you download my own old-old initial production Tiger (looks nothing like yours) to check out my interpretation of 'standard proportion' Tiger II cross and numbers.

"So, is this what folks are looking for in a King Tiger mod? If not, what are people looking for? Speak now or forever hold your peace, as I think I can see the light at the end of this (mod) tunnel. Thanks."--Gordon

WOW!!! Yes, this is what I am looking for! Woo-hoo! The Return of the KING!(where's Marco?)

My only request is for options--turret numbers, unit ID logo, etc.

Got my folder ready already!

Originally posted by Philippe:

Why is it that I thought you didn't like the ambush camo pattern?

Yes, I hate doing ambush schemes because they're such a pain in the butt to do. :D

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

I'm liking it. The weathering pulls it together nicely, & the worn edges are giving it just enough of a 'broken in' feel.

I got concerned that maybe I was overdoing it with the weathering/chipping, so that's one vote for not too much. smile.gif

Originally posted by patboy:

Add black smoke on gun, show us another pic with the improved "MikeyD tiger tracks mod" and I think you can release it !

The Germans used smokeless powder, so I'm with MikeyD on this, I haven't seen conclusive evidence that there was smoke residue on the German barrels. What I am doing is wearing away the paint on the edges of the muzzle brake from use of the gun cleaning rod. Maybe to keep both camps happy there will be an alternate BMP with a blackened muzzle brake.

Tracks!?! OMG, I forgot to redo the tracks! That's another month's worth of work! :rolleyes: MikeyD's early Tiger tracks are very nice, but they weren't used on the King Tiger.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

About weathering the turret, my opinion is the higher up you get on the vehicle the less wear-and-tear it'll experience. The fenders look great. The turret shouldn't have a third of that wear, though.

Agreed. I'm planning on having the lower front hull much more heavily worn and scratched (from running over all the mangled T-34 corpses), and the upper front hull scratching/chipping reduced the higher you go. And I will take another look at your KT mod to see how you proportioned your markings. Of course it will all depend on which exact KTs from which units I'll be simulating. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tooz:

WOW!!! Yes, this is what I am looking for! Woo-hoo! The Return of the KING!(where's Marco?)

My only request is for options--turret numbers, unit ID logo, etc.

Marco's still around, just been very busy, and I've been soliciting mucho advice from him during this project. I'll see what I can do in terms of extras (would anyone expect anything less from moi?). I'm also still toying with the idea of a non-ambush zimmerit version as well.

junk2drive, Alkiviadis, Vergeltungswaffe, Jack Carr, Redwolf, and British Tommy, thanks for the nice comments.

Ok, so it appears that I'm not making her look overly made up, say like Tammy Faye Baker, :eek: so I shall endeavor to persevere and get this baby released.

Originally posted by Gordon:

Ok, so it appears that I'm not making her look overly made up, say like Tammy Faye Baker, :eek: so I shall endeavor to persevere and get this baby released.

Definitely not overdone. The weathering is wonderfully subtle and believable. I also agree with the "no black muzzle" syndrome. Sure hope the tracks don't take a month, though. ;)

Is that metal exposed? If so, then>>>>

Just to add my bit- I think that there is too much weathering exposing the steel plate. It would be difficult to get that effect in a battlefield condition. The paint would all have to have been scrapped off the hull about the same time to expose the bright steel, but not have any of the metal showing as rust.

Also, the undercoat below paint on German vehicles was the ever infamous primer red, and none of that is showing. The effect would be first paint would be scrapped off- exposing red primer; and the primer would be scrapped off- exposing metal; which would quickly rust and darken on the battlefield.

To take advice from the modeling world, go easy on straight steel for weathering- a little goes a long way. I would probably recommend using some of the excellent weathering examples from:

missing-lynx.com

Zitadelle,

Before I started weathering this baby, I climbed the moutain and communed with my mod guru. Scattered amongst the normal what is the answer to the great question of Life, the Universe and Everything, sorts of discussions, it was decided that small-scale modelling/weathering techniques look better in CM than 1/35 scale techniques. Hence the depiction of bare metal and not primer and bright rust. Now, granted this particular King Tiger is definitely "high mileage", but one of the main criticisms of my previous mods was that they were too "factory fresh" so I'm trying to give my "customers" what they want.

I'm experimenting with exposed primer for the chipped and missing patches of zimmerit for the s.Pz. Abt. 505 version of the mod, so we'll see how that's received. I'll hopefully have a preview of that in the not so distant future.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we're in the home stretch.

Here's the latest preview

Weathered_KT_20050307.jpg

There were quite a number of detail additions/improvements that probably aren't real obvious in this picture, of course the wear/weathering is 99% done, and then I need to dirty it up and then it should be ready for release. Of course I'm planning a number of suprises, but those will have to wait for the release.