Ever lost a battle to AI?

We all know how impressive the AI is in CM, but when i think back, I can't actually remember ever losing. I've lost many a time against human opponents, but never to the AI.

During QB's with the AI its probably easier than created scenarios but even with these i've usually won with a moderate margin. Does anybody else think this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i recently fired up riesberg and lost 3 times as amis, then twice as germans.

oh the humanity.

i had the computer experience set to +3 and - especially when playing germans - wondered if that +3 setting were somehow making the 88s less accurate.

andy

I played "Grab for a Prize" and fought it to a Draw. Couldn't quite take the final objective Flags. What was funny though was that the Germans really didn't put up a fight till the last 10 turns or so when I reached their last strong-point. I was losing Easy-Eights by damned panzerfausts from hidden infantry squads in houses.

When first learning CMBO, sure I got wailed upon by anyone that could use a mouse. Things have gotten better though (hopefully).

As far as QB against the AI, I'll give the Allies' AI a +25% to the full +200% bonus points. The AI is going to make mistakes, so the extra points are a good cushion, especially if they've got a boatload of infantry and you don't have much in armor. I just love playing the numerical underdog. Nothing like having my Tiger IE platoon wiping out a battalion of soda cans. I love the smell of burning shermans in the morning... smells like victory! :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Itchy:

We all know how impressive the AI is in CM, but when i think back, I can't actually remember ever losing. I've lost many a time against human opponents, but never to the AI.

During QB's with the AI its probably easier than created scenarios but even with these i've usually won with a moderate margin. Does anybody else think this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How in the hell have you never lost to the AI? Are you sure your not streching that a bit? Either you played nothing but humans from the very start or you were imaculatly born into knowing how to play CM.

I'm going to have to rant here, but this is what never ceases to frustrate me. The way people make claims like that on this forum.

Do you guys really trounce the AI 100% of the time like you claim? How is that even possible? Maybe in a QB where you specify everything, but I am always amazed at how well the AI performs when I play a scenario I've never played before. Or a QB where the AI picks enemy forces.

I also hear people talking about perfectly realistic and effective tactics, then somebody corrects them saying "that may work on the AI, but humans are a different story!" The way people talk on this forum, wide flanking manuevers with armor must have been tactical suicide in real life. I'm not going to go into too much here. But the way people boast about what works and what doesn't gets to me after awhile. If only the real military leaders of WWII had your clairvoyance, WWII would have lasted a day!

/rant off

Anyway, please feel free to flame.

[ 04-19-2001: Message edited by: Guy w/gun ]

I lose to the AI about 30% of the time, usually because I think "what the heck" and sure enough, five minutes later it's obvious that I was reckless and deserve to be shot as a commander.

:eek:

I tell myself, it's just the computer, and I'm having fun... except I know deep down that I STILL LOST -- GRRR :mad:

I think the programmers did a great job with the AI, it's really hard to program AI in games.

I just took a major loss to the AI, normal experience, neither side with an advantage, playing the Westwall as the Allies. The AI seems to do best on the defensive. I also lose badly to the AI on the scenario, I forgot the name, where I play the poles. It was the first time I had played it, so I didn't know what to expect. It was a challenge but a little irritating in that it was ahistorical, i.e. the Germans had nearly as many troops as the Allies, 88s all over the place, etc.

The arty and mortar operations nearly drove me buggy.... no targeting unless LOS... targeting non-LOS units is the whole point of mortars and arty... if you had LOS you would be using a direct fire weapon.

Rant over

I lose to her all the time. But then, I don't play 1000 pt meeting engagements with all things equal. :rolleyes:

The last series of defeats was when I was trying to learn Sherman tactics. Just give yourself 5 Shermans and let the AI have 5 Panthers. Or 5 King Tigers if you're feeling confident. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Itchy:

During QB's with the AI its probably easier than created scenarios but even with these i've usually won with a moderate margin. Does anybody else think this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right.........

:rolleyes:

I still have no problem to get my butt kicked by no-nonsense, fast spotting, first-shot-killing, mean-green (or conscript) fighting machines encountered in "Villers Bocage - Tiger!".

This is - of course - without any AI boni to the brits.

Try it, even if you know the names of any british TC present, it is absolutely not a piece of cake.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

How in the hell have you never lost to the AI? Are you sure your not streching that a bit? Either you played nothing but humans from the very start or you were imaculatly born into knowing how to play CM.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, not a flame, and this certainly isn't intended as a boast, but I can honestly say that I've never lost a game to the AI. I don't really see what the big deal is. I don't consider myself a particularly skilled player, as my PBEM opponents can tell you. Playing the AI is different from playing humans, is all I can say.