Behold: The Jeep! Ready for Release!

After much pain, several six-packs of beer, little sleep, and a lot of work, the Jeep mod is ready!

usjeep.jpg

There are several options included with the set, so pay attention, because I'm only explaining this once. tongue.gif

Your new Jeep mod set will include textures for:

American, British, and Canadian Jeeps, as well as one with British Airborne markings. All nationalities have optional filthy windshields, and the American Jeep has optional "Kilroy" grafitti. Also included is a spankin-new clean and unmarked generic Jeep for you to play around with if you are so inclined.

Some more shots:

canjeep.jpgCanadian.

ukjeep.jpg

British

jeep_rear.jpg

Rear of Commonwealth Jeep. Note white-painted differential case to aid in blackout driving.

I'll send them to Manx and Tom (the usual suspects) tomorrow morning. smile.gif

Uh, oh, yeah, I also did the Jeep MG, but when I loaded the textures my Graphics 4 resource file maxed out and all I got was a bizarre Frankenjeep. So no preview for that one I'm afraid. :(

[edited for stupidity]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]</p>

Kilroy! What a great touch. I drove my mom nuts putting him on stuff ten or so years ago.

That is without a doubt the most detailed mod I've seen in a long, long time.

I'm sure you already noticed this, but I think you've got purple fuzzies on the rear axle. Also, it looks like the axe and shovel handles need a little mud and sweat stains-they seem a little too light. (And everybody knows that the lugnuts on the jeep were 9/16", not the 5/8" you've got on your mod smile.gif Just kidding.)

Edit- one more tiny, insignificant, incredibly minor niggle: Kilroy has fingers over the edge of the line across his nose, as though he's grabbing onto a wall with his nose poking over. I'm not sure how well it would work on the mod anyway, and it probably doesn't matter to anyone but me. tongue.gif

Did I mention that that's an awesome mod? If I forgot, that's an awesome mod.

2nd edit: AAARRGHHHH! I think I've become a true grognard at last, making sure that Kilroy ballistics are properly modeled, and criticizing the best mod I've ever seen. Any minute now I'll be debating with JasonC. Somebody stop me!

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

2nd edit: AAARRGHHHH! I think I've become a true grognard at last, making sure that Kilroy ballistics are properly modeled, and criticizing the best mod I've ever seen. Any minute now I'll be debating with JasonC. Somebody stop me<hr></blockquote>

This is an announcement from your local Grog re-education centre. Mr. 109 Gustav has suffered a nervous breakdown, and will be cared for in our detention, err, rehabilitation centre for an unlimited time. He is still babbling something about 'Cromwell, turret slope...' We are sure that with the right bit of TLC and lots of drugs he will be alright in just a few months. If not, we will put Plan B into effect. Thank you for your attention. Please send any cards and donations to 101 Barb Wire Gardens, The Keep, Doncaster DO17 1YY

Nice mod Andrew, and don't you just hate the file maxing out? Happened to me too, and I spent all Sunday afternoon rebuilding it from the ground up.

Wow, glad you all like it. :D

I forgot to add a few notes to my original post, as last night I was not in my right mind, especially after a particularly nasty Pink Pixel Hunt.

• The pink pixels on the rear axle, as seen in the screenies, are gone! (see comment above). I noticed that there are two (2) pink spots on the front differential, and those need to go before I release it.
  • The mod represents a Ford GPW Jeep, hence the logo stamped on the rear.
  • I have a Mac, so I haven't set it up for CMMOS. I corresponded with Gordon earlier about winterizing the Jeep, so perhaps he would be kind enough to make it CMMOS compatible, too.
  • I added random Brit & Can divisional markings. If someone wants to undertake doing additional variations let me know and we can work something out.
  • A blank Jeep for your modding amusement will be included in the set. It's factory fresh: no dirt, insignia or divisional markings. This version only is to be considered mod freeware--you may do with it what you like, all I ask is that I get notified before you release it to the public.
  • I'll see what I can do about Kilroy's missing hands.
  • Jeep mod comes with one driver figure--additional action figures sold seperately. tongue.gif

Should be sent to usual suspects tonight.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dfgardner:

Well, I hate to do this, but one point of observation.

In the environment of combat mission, ie, in contact with enemy forces, most jeeps would have the front windshield in the lowered position.

Now, let the flames commence: :eek: <hr></blockquote>

Take it up with BTS--it's their 3D model. I only paint 'em. ;)

The ultra-gamey Jeep MG has a lowered windshield, though.

Finally, the Jeep is being sent off to host sites. It's on its way right now. smile.gif

Sorry for the delay, but there were a couple textures that I totally forgot about that I had to quickly fabricate. I also made a (relatively) hi-res steering wheel BMP to replace the chunky ugly old one.

After this, the Hetzer will be available shortly.

Of course, when this is done I will have a mod void in my existence. :( So in order to fill that void and help maintain my (in)sanity, I ask you, good people of the CM forum: what's next? :confused: I'm thinking maybe Daimler or Chaffee, or maybe even Tiger I, but I'm open to suggestions...