Did this THING ever existed? (see picture)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it did. If this is the one I'm thinking of, then two of them were made. They were Russian, stationed around Leningrad. One broke in half while crossing a large railroad ditch, and the other one shot itself up with its own turrets. Wish I could remember the name of it, but I do remember what I read as stating that Stalin had a love of large tanks and this was known as a "Land Battleship".

killmore,

It never existed. Ever. The chassis is from a whole bunch of apparent KV chassis spliced together, much like a stretch limousine. The turrets with bolts are from the KV-1C. The turret with the twin guns is from the normally single 152mm equipped KV-2, and the smaller tank turrets are from what looks like a BT-5 or BT-7. Am not sure which, since I don't have my references handy at the moment. I don't know what the smallest turrets are from. The rocket launcher is from a BM-13 Katyusha model.

I hope this eliminates any further confusion.

Regards,

John Kettler

The rocket launcher makes it schizophrenic. I mean, is this thing supposed to fight at the front or from a rear area? If it goes to the front the rocket launcher will get blown to bits before you can say duh. At the rear, what the hell would all those turrets be for?

Id say that the smaller turrets are off of a later model T-26 John...mind you there are many variations of smaller turrets on several models of light Russian tanks that look the same from a distance, so its a little hard to tell.

Dan

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

Plus, it only has one drive sprocket. There is no way physically that one drive sprocket could move this thing without snapping the tracks. There is also no way this thing could turn without destroying the suspension. And traversing any kind of elevation difference over about a foot and half would snap the chassis in two. And...hey this is fun!

God, call yourself grogs. Quite obvious to anyone with even half a brain, and even the most basic knowledge of WW2 that you could pick up in a torn and soaked copy of GI Joe, this is a real vehicle, called 'Kätchens Mutter' (Mother of Katyusha) by the Germans. Captured vehicles were pressed into German service as Kampfküchenspüle Sdkfz. 1993® schwer 27 B/6. Jesus Christ, the standard this board has lowered to. Unbelievable. Et tu Kwazy?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wadepm:

Plus, it only has one drive sprocket. There is no way physically that one drive sprocket could move this thing without snapping the tracks. There is also no way this thing could turn without destroying the suspension. And traversing any kind of elevation difference over about a foot and half would snap the chassis in two. And...hey this is fun!<hr></blockquote>

This is this the most sensible post in this thread.

From an engineering stand-point it looks like there is NO WAY this wacky contraption could ever be "combat effective".

-tom w

This is simply a toy model of something than never existed. Apart from being no reference whatsoever of such a monstre in any book about soviet armour that I know of, it would also be impossible to have realized a tank like this. Just a single example: the KV-2 turret mounts two 152mm weapons while having the same apparent size of the original. Of course there would be no point in having two identical guns if you have no additional men to crew the extra weapon, but where would you put the extra two/three men needed? And this while allowing for all those guys to be kiked in the face by the men squeezed into the superposed 45mm turret... plainly impossible, other than useless.

Regards,

Amedeo

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Of course there would be no point in having two identical guns if you have no additional men to crew the extra weapon, but where would you put the extra two/three men needed? And this while allowing for all those guys to be kiked in the face by the men squeezed into the superposed 45mm turret... plainly impossible, other than useless.

<hr></blockquote>

The megaturret was intended to be manned by dwarfs. The idea was to exploit all possible manpower reserves.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>