HOLY COW! New CM2 Preview at Gamespot

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for the news, TankDawg!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Combat Mission gamers are on our message board right now making suggestions, helping out with research, and contributing ideas. And we listen to them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*sniff*

You know we love you, don't you?

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Reading that article makes me crave CMB2B even more. The new movement orders (hull down!?) and ambushes with firing arcs sure were a surprise to me. BTS sure is listening! I don't think we have anything to worry about, unless your Finnish. smile.gif

I highly recommend reading this article to anyone interested in some of the coming features of CMB2B. Several of the board discussions (past and present) have been answered/hinted-at in this article.

The new commands sound awesome and should benefit play greatly. The planned (Fire)Cover Arc should get the juices flowing of those who are familiar with official military FMs on defensive combat.

captured vehicles

cordorouy roads

I am starting to get excited...

fitness...

but do they really mean that Ambush will be replaced with Cover Arc? this sounds like you can't set the distance at which troops will open fire - only a certain arc...?

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

captured vehicles

cordorouy roads

but do they really mean that Ambush will be replaced with Cover Arc? this sounds like you can't set the distance at which troops will open fire - only a certain arc...?

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO the length of the legs of the triangle will define the distance. It would require trigonometry in order to explain an example so I will try to do a diagram instead:

V

/\

/\

/\

A-------B

You select your vehicle, hit the ambush command Click on point A and click on point B , the ambush trigger line would be the line intersecting A to B. That is what I got from it at least.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Banshee ]

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Banshee ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

captured vehicles

cordorouy roads

I am starting to get excited...

fitness...

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cover arc: Click on two points and your unit will direct its attention to the triangular area created by those two limiting points and your unit's location. Except in extreme circumstances, your unit will only open fire on enemies inside this zone. So you can set the direction and range of engagement, which is very useful for ambush (which this command replaces), conserving ammo, or focusing a directed defense.

I guess this is copywritten so I will credit it to GameSpot with and official reference and you can read it here:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2775850-3,00.html

CHECK THIS OUT!!!! (and I quote from the interview)

"GS: Can we expect any new orders in Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin? Perhaps something like an "advance to contact" command

that would send infantry forward and cause them to stop and take

available cover after coming under fire?

CM: This was one of our top priorities. Here are the new orders you

can look forward to (the list may grow further):

Move to contact: Just as you described. Useful at the beginning of the

game for a cautious advance.

Assault: The squad moves ahead in "leapfrog" style, with some men

prone, offering covering fire, and the others running a short distance

ahead. Then the two groups switch--the firers get up and move and

the movers stop to fire. This is internal to the squad, so the average

overall movement speed is around walking speed (the average of

half-sprinting and half-stopped prone). So the speed is only moderate,

but the advantage is decent use of available cover and the ability to

return fire with most weapons (not the heavy ones like LMGs [light

machine guns, as opposed to standard infantry rifles]). This is

important because the "run" command in Combat Mission:

Barbarossa to Berlin allows for much less outgoing fire than it did in

Combat Mission, pretty much just limiting it to SMGs [submachine

guns] at very close range.

Human wave: Inexperienced troops

are not allowed to use the "assault"

command, but Soviets can use the

"human wave" as an alternate. It

involves the troops moving ahead at a

brisk walk, firing available SMGs and

throwing grenades once in range.

Vulnerability is high so casualties are

usually brutal, but morale stiffens (to a

point) and it may allow you to

overwhelm a tough enemy defense at close range through greater

numbers.

Hull down (vehicles only): Pick a spot on the map and your vehicle will

move toward it until it has a hull-down firing angle on that spot.

Movement is rather slow, but higher-experience units can do it faster.

Cover arc: Click on two points and your unit will direct its attention to

the triangular area created by those two limiting points and your unit's

location. Except in extreme circumstances, your unit will only open

fire on enemies inside this zone. So you can set the direction and

range of engagement, which is very useful for ambush (which this

command replaces), conserving ammo, or focusing a directed

defense."

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

BTW, what is a corduroy road? I don't recall my mom making me wear them in the 70s.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing logs hastily laid down side by side to make a road through BAD boggy ground?

You can see somthing like them on canoe portages in Northern Ontario, but there it is like a narrow foot path and not a road.

-tom w

Yup, you guys have got it right there. You can click on two points and your units will cover that arc and fire on units that enter it. Its *very* cool to say the least smile.gif

The ISU's in the screen shots arent using a final texture but it is getting close. Unfortuantely I think the texture compression of the jpg reduced their quality somewhat and didnt quite do them justice...ahhh well smile.gif. Hehe, its very hard to do much funky with the Russian vehicles when they are all drab green. No Russian text can be done unfortunately as it will be back to front on the other side of the vehicle, something what will look odd even if it is in Russian ;)

Toms got it right about the corduroy roads. From what I understand they were logs roads laid down in particually muddy areas to give vehicles some sort of traction.

Dan

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

No Russian text can be done unfortunately as it will be back to front on the other side of the vehicle, something what will look odd even if it is in Russian smile.gif

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like most of us would even know the difference. smile.gif

Oh, and I didn't mean to insult the graphics. I know they aren't done yet. Everything looks great so far.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

The ISU's in the screen shots arent using a final texture but it is getting close. Unfortuantely I think the texture compression of the jpg reduced their quality somewhat and didnt quite do them justice...ahhh well smile.gif. Hehe, its very hard to do much funky with the Russian vehicles when they are all drab green. No Russian text can be done unfortunately as it will be back to front on the other side of the vehicle, something what will look odd even if it is in Russian smile.gif

Dan[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MUHAAA we can make Plts. I was wondreing that when i noticed the SU's road wheels looked a bit thin ;). Dan where is our patriotic slogans on the sides the SU's cant' be stomping Nazi's w/o our patriotic slogans on our AFVs :D..

Regards, John Waters

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: PzKpfw 1 ]

Hehe, well I guess you guys dont know any Russian that looks the same backwards as it does forwards smile.gif?

It was something we talked about (having seperate textures for both sides of the turret/vehicle) but it was decided that it was a feature that would have to wait for the future. With the new commands that are already in there I dont think it will be something you miss though guys!

Commissar, there is another soviet tank up in the CM2 banner if you hadnt noticed...can you pick the type smile.gif? Pretty easy if you know your Russian gear.

Dan

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I'm no expert on Soviet armor, but is that a BT-7?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like a BT-747! :D

IRT the issue that all Soviet tanks are the same green color, it seems that a lot of them were camo'd and the green did vary enough that we don't need to feel compelled to make them all boringly uniform. There's the dirt and dust to replicate and finally there were also geometric unit insignia painted on many that will be unaffected by the mirroring problem of the skins.

Overall though, I agree that the Soviet AFV's will bring out the best skills in our modding community due to the challenge posed by the uniform paint scheme.