HOLY COW! New CM2 Preview at Gamespot

Bog, actually I think youll find the cover command quite different from that used in CC. smile.gif

As far as I recall (I could be wrong here?) you could set a direction in Close Comabat, whereas in CM2 you can peg out an area of responsability as such. It should be very useful when setting up defense.

Dan

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

John, very true, winter camouflage was very common on both sides. I am not sure at this point if we will be shipping with winter textures or not, we will have to see how time goes.

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No chance of farming out vehicle skins to some of the talented fellers I keep seeing on here for "winterizing"? I'm sure Marco had no other plans for the summer....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

No chance of farming out vehicle skins to some of the talented fellers I keep seeing on here for "winterizing"? I'm sure Marco had no other plans for the summer....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the article:

"Fans supplied a fantastic number of graphical and sound "mods" for Combat Mission. We were amazed at the level of talent and dedication out there. So we're tapping into that in a more "official" capacity for Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. As you mentioned, one fan has redone our in-game interface art. Others will contribute shortly, as development continues."

To be honest, I would rather CM2 shipped with no winter textures and fairly bland vehicle textures, if it would mean we could have the game sooner. I think that our Mod authors could make good textures after the game is out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bog:

I think that our Mod authors could make good textures after the game is out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the Army, we call it "concurrent activity." If it were going to happen, as Pvt. Ryan suggests it might, why not do it at the same time the rest of it is being developed?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bog:

To be honest, I would rather CM2 shipped with no winter textures and fairly bland vehicle textures, if it would mean we could have the game sooner. I think that our Mod authors could make good textures after the game is out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's kind of fine and dandy, but I don't really want to wait around for a good T-34 texture to come from a 3rd party artist. Best to get the best they can muster from the start and then maybe if some need improving so be it, but I don't want to start out with CM2 with graphics like we did with CM1. Only now are we really getting the graphics that it should have had to begin with, IMHO. Luckily, judging by the screenshots we've seen so far, that we won't have to worry about new terrain mods as much as these new ones seem to be fairly adequate, although the tree bases could probably be improved a little bit from that Soviet tank pic.

If I remember correctly, there was a Russian tank vet who said during an interview that as long as they got their commander's permission and the the necessary paint, the tank crew could camo their tank as they saw fit. The biggest obstacle was finding enough paint to cover their vehicles adequately. It's in some interview at "The Russian Battlefield" web page.

Dan knows he can't possibly give each element of the game as much attention as the modding community can, so he has no intention of trying to produce graphics that match the level of artistry to which we have grown accustomed. However, BTS must put a certain amount of work into the graphics because not everyone who will buy CMB2B is a modslut. I would bet the majority of CM players never installed a single mod, and I'm sure plenty don't even care (look away, Max). Besides the incredible gameplay that CM offers, one of the reasons this game has held our attention for so long has been its evolution from the "raw" graphics and sounds released with 1.0 to the work of art we know and love. The constant trickle of ever improving mods has been like receiving a new piece of CM every day. Hopefully BTS will enlist the help of the talented mod community, but even if they don't I'm sure the stock graphics will be an improvement over CMBO, and we have months of modding to which we can look forward.

Yup, youve got it there Ryan smile.gif I think that you estimate about many CM fans not using mods wouldnt be far from correct, and we want to give those guys a visual treat straight off of the CD.

We will certainally be giving gamers a level of detail much higher than seen in CM1, but we also have to keep things realistic. I am aiming to get about two textures completed a day at the moment. If I could take a week per texture I would love too, but you guys probably wouldnt see CM2 until about 2005 smile.gif

Dan

From download figures, and other information I was able to glean on the web, I estimate that the Gunmetal mod is on about 10-15% of the total number of computers running CM. Not only "Not everyone is a modslut" but, "Hardly anyone is a modslut".

So I agree that everything needs to be the best it can be (given time restraints) right out of the box. For a majority of people, that is all they will ever know.

And the corralary : The BTS board is not the entire world as we know it. I would guess that sales of CM to the 'Silent Majority' far outweigh the number of people who frequent this board.

Voilà.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Eyes:

Any word on Brummbar?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I coulda sworn Steve (or Dan) said the Brummbar was in, but I haven't been able to find any thread confirming it. A few others have commented recently that they had thought the Brummbar was in as well. It's possible that we're all simply delusional, though. smile.gif

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

As it is there are around 300 vehicles in CM2 (as Charles metnioned in the preview) even if I even spend 5 hours on each one Id be here until this time next year smile.gif

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, quick question, how many vehicles are currently represented in CMBO?

Bart

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barticus:

OK, quick question, how many vehicles are currently represented in CMBO?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

126. (not including vehicles that are exactly the same, but apply to different nationalities).

- Chris

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kampfgruppe_Commander:

So - if there IS no spot behind which your tank can go hull down - I take it our tank will rumble up to the selected point anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That depends on how it works. If the tank moves toward the spot until it is "Hull Down" then - yes. If the tank moves toward the spot and stops as soon as it has a line of sight then the tank will just sit there. Personally I would like to see option two and be able to issue the same order to infantry. Just the thing to make it easy to make sure your forces are in maximum cover while still able to see the ambush area. I would love to get a clarification from BTS on this.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well that's kind of fine and dandy, but I don't really want to wait around for a good T-34 texture to come from a 3rd party artist. Best to get the best they can muster from the start and then maybe if some need improving so be it, but I don't want to start out with CM2 with graphics like we did with CM1. Only now are we really getting the graphics that it should have had to begin with, IMHO. Luckily, judging by the screenshots we've seen so far, that we won't have to worry about new terrain mods as much as these new ones seem to be fairly adequate, although the tree bases could probably be improved a little bit from that Soviet tank pic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must we point out Max if they had done that we mite still be waiting for CM1 to come out. tongue.gif

Thank God theres going to be a Hull Down order. I hope that BTS abstracts in the poor gun elevation/high height of many AFV on the eastern front. Good deal. Make it so that a AFV with a gun 8 feet off the ground and only 3 degrees of depression has a very limited chance of getting HD from a slope.

I beleive that the Human wave/assault commands represent orders limitations. I had argued way back when about this and met with some really vehement opinions (including BTS). But what the heck. It sounds good to me.

Lewis