Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

1 minute ago, Jeff Cronick said:

Quick question for the team.  There has been info (and links) provided to the Mac OS installers to reinstall currently owned CM games.  However, I looked on both the Steam and the Slitherine sites and don't see any options to purchase Mac OS versions.  With this changeover, how would one purchase a Mac OS version of a CM game (say CMFB, for instance)?  Thanks.

Some of us keep poking for an official answer, but I think it looks dim. Matrix/Slitherine just doesn't do macOS and they would have to build support infrastructure for it even if they do the coding, QA and release building.

1 minute ago, Redwolf said:

Some of us keep poking for an official answer, but I think it looks dim. Matrix/Slitherine just doesn't do macOS and they would have to build support infrastructure for it even if they do the coding, QA and release building.

Yes, that is what worries me.  I saw the same thing happen at Slitherine with the Panzer Corps games (dropped Mac OS and IOS versions).  I really don't want to see that happen with Combat Mission.

Cheers,

Jeff

31 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Hopefully we get VCR controls in TCP mode back.

Not that that has anything to do with Unity.

That is sumfink I have always begged Steve for. He told it was never going to happen. But.......we'll see.

Looks like a sad day for our macOS friends, if I understand correctly any future updates will only be for the Matrix/Slitherine version (Windows) of the game.

Hopefully all families will get a CM3 makeover (like CMSF2 for CMSF) with support for both macOS, Windows (and Linux) ;) (Unity seem to have support for all three)

4 minutes ago, Jeff Cronick said:

Yes, that is what worries me.  I saw the same thing happen at Slitherine with the Panzer Corps games (dropped Mac OS and IOS versions).  I really don't want to see that happen with Combat Mission.

Cheers,

Jeff

Agreed. And the lack of answer sounds like an answer.

Looks like there will be no CM3 for Mac OS, and perhaps no more updates for CM2 as well…

Edited by PEB14

Congratulations first and foremost. While nothing is ever free of risk, imo this sounds like a great deal for everyone (maybe not for nostalgiae).

You guys can focus on the development of CM, while Slitherine can integrate the business and publisher side of things.  Slitherine's business practices always seemed solid from my pov (and not that far from BFC vision/identity), focus is on actual deep gameplay/content, not on maximum profit/turnover conversion and fancy websites / marketing campaigns. 

Plus the forum remains.

Good luck!

34 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Thank you. Will my current games still work with the Slitherine version?

Saved game and PBEM file? As long as you are playing the same version of the game there will not be a problem.

I am noticing what might be a misunderstanding. You do not need the Matrix version now. You really only need to do that if you're reinstalling or a patch comes out. Otherwise you're fine using what you currently have installed. 

4 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Agreed. And the lack of answer sounds like an answer.

Lack of answer is more likely that today is a day of juggling. 

Looks like there will be no CM3 for Mac OS, and perhaps no more updates for CM2 as well…

No final determination has been made but I would operate on that assumption for now. 

11 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

Looks like a sad day for our macOS friends, if I understand correctly any future updates will only be for the Matrix/Slitherine version (Windows) of the game.

Well it was the same with CM1. What an irony, CM was made on mac...

Edited by Ales Dvorak

2 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Saved game and PBEM file? As long as you are playing the same version of the game there will not be a problem.

I am noticing what might be a misunderstanding. You do not need the Matrix version now. You really only need to do that if you're reinstalling or a patch comes out. Otherwise you're fine using what you currently have installed. 

BFCElvis - what happens to Mac OS users if/when a patch comes out?  Obviously there is no Mac version on Slitherine.

Cheers,
Jeff

7 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Thank you for the clarification, but it sounds a little bit contradictory with your following message:

4 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

No final determination has been made but I would operate on that assumption for now. 

From the latter I understand that the probability of a Mac OS patch (which usually comes with an update) is quite low…

3 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

So, we should assume that CM will no longer be supported on the Mac.  Great :(

Is there any way anymore to purchase what is still available for Mac?  I wonder if I can purchase Mac OS versions of the titles I don't have yet, or have we lost that as well?

Cheers,
Jeff

2 minutes ago, Jeff Cronick said:

Is there any way anymore to purchase what is still available for Mac?  I wonder if I can purchase Mac OS versions of the titles I don't have yet, or have we lost that as well?

It used to be the same purchase. One license could be used for either.

I just don't know whether you can acquire a new BFC serial now. Probably not.

13 minutes ago, BamaMatt said:

FYI, today is Combat Mission Day on Slitherine's Twitch channel.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm watching it now.  Never used Twitch before...

EDIT: A little put off when he said "I have a Panzer Vee A" but let's not be sniffy.  It's a Panther.

Good for beginners setting up a QB.

Edited by Vacillator

27 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Thank you for the clarification, but it sounds a little bit contradictory with your following message:

Allow me to clarify!

As you guys all know, Slitherine does not actively support Mac products.  They do support legacy Mac products because they don't like leaving customers hanging.  We're working through the details of how to handle CM2 Mac products going forward, but we don't want to say too much until we've nailed down the exact policy.  Why don't we have one already?  Well, because we had a lot going on and didn't think we'd get pounced on by so many Mac guys so quickly.  Should we have expected that?  Why yes, we should have, so our bad!

As for CM3, pretty much nothing is being discussed about that product line at all right now.  When we do, we'll let you guys know about Mac support.  Keep in mind that Unity is truly cross platformable and CM3 already runs quite nicely on my Mac Book Pros.  Just say'n.

Steve

28 minutes ago, Jeff Cronick said:

Cheers,
Jeff

There was not better company to acquire the CM franchise than Matrix/Slitherine.  As a company they seem very committed to not just wargames, but very detailed and advanced wargames.  It will probably fundamentally change the roadmap and trajectory of the CM franchise.  But thats most likely a good thing.  More focus, a vision, and a real distribution strategy.  The only other choice was BFC slowly fading away.

If you had asked me three years ago about any tech direction, I would have said Unity.  It has its own issues, but its a better bet than OpenGL was twenty years ago.  Not depending on Apple is a good start.

3 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Allow me to clarify!

As you guys all know, Slitherine does not actively support Mac products.  They do support legacy Mac products because they don't like leaving customers hanging.  We're working through the details of how to handle CM2 Mac products going forward, but we don't want to say too much until we've nailed down the exact policy.  Why don't we have one already?  Well, because we had a lot going on and didn't think we'd get pounced on by so many Mac guys so quickly.  Should we have expected that?  Why yes, we should have, so our bad!

As for CM3, pretty much nothing is being discussed about that product line at all right now.  When we do, we'll let you guys know about Mac support.  Keep in mind that Unity is truly cross platformable and CM3 already runs quite nicely on my Mac Book Pros.  Just say'n.

Steve

The first good news for Mac users since the Big announcement.👍

Thank you Steve for giving us Mac users some reason to keep on dreaming.

Please don't disapppoint us!! 😍

7 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Allow me to clarify!

Steve

Thanks for this information.  While not all that encouraging, given Slitherine's stance on Mac products, at least you're not already stating no Mac CM3 in the future.  I do worry about future CM2 updates/Battle Packs/Vehicle Packs etc. on Mac OS though since it's already been stated that would only come from Slitherine.

What about purchasing Mac OS versions of the current CM2 line?  There are a couple of titles I haven't picked up yet and it appears those aren't available on the BFC site any longer and the Slitherine and Steam sites don't offer Mac OS options.  Can we purchase the product on Slitherine's site, download the Mac OS installer from the BFC links and then apply the Slitherine activation code to get a working Mac OS version?

Cheers,
Jeff

Edited by Jeff Cronick

Congrats to Battlefront! I've always been impressed with how you all managed to stay floating independent, but similar to that, I've seen Matrix and Slitherine navigate thru the same waters impressed at their output and depth so Congrats to all 3 on your success and may you all have more!