Combat Mission Grand Tournament

My opponent surrendered in both of our BN games. On the offensive, managed to take out Barkmann pretty early, and was forcing my way around the flank, and on the defensive, Barkmann had managed to take out 7 of the first 12 Shermans and one HT full of infantry. I assume he felt that both positions were untenable.

13 hours ago, Jackal2100 said:

I assume he felt that both positions were untenable.

Pity he didn't really understand the scoring as you can burn through virtually all of the American forces and still get 1600 points.

Obviously it does depend on breaking the Germans while burning through those forces.

All that counts is the control by touching those 2 VP locations and that could be with rallied American tank crews.

In both my games Barkmanns tank died on the very last turn of the game.

16 hours ago, StoneAge said:

either something is wrong or a lot of surrendering going on

Why? 

It is pretty easy to see why folk are getting 1600 or even 2000. 2000 requires your opponent to attack / defend poorly and not damage enough of your forces to deny you the 400 points for force preservation.

This all relates to CMBN games as I am not in the CW or RT sections.

Edited by Holien
Clarification on CMBN

On 10/25/2023 at 3:23 PM, BFCElvis said:

It's a priority for me. 

I've been been working with our friends at Slitherine since I made this post. Part of the issue was that there was some bug found. I wanted somefink to pass on to you guys so asked a couple of questions and I have gotten responses that make some sense. Here are the questions and answers. I hope this clears things up some and gives an idea of what to expect going forward:

1) What was intended to happen when the scoring adjustment was  made? What were we hoping it would do?

"If a game hadn't finished, then the person who had taken the longer time to play (so, who held up the game the most) would be flagged as the loser for the purpose of the scoring algorithm and some of their score would be added to the other person. If a game had been completed, the score should have remained the same."

2) What is the nature of the bug that was uncovered?

"The bug that occurred was that even when a game had completed, scores were affected in a similar way, and were lowered. And even when the game hadn't completed, the 'winner' (as in, the person who had played the most) shouldn't have had their score lowered either. This bug should now have been fixed, so that winners' scores and completed games scores won't be lowered."

Is there a way to be sure that my game files have got to my opponent.

Driving me mad not knowing, I have not seen or heard anything since the 8th and now it looks like our last ten minutes are going to go unfinished.  Also being an Aussie puts me on the wrong side of the "Timed out" equation.

If and when Matrix send out a finish your games reminder can we have a section that reminds players to "cease fire" their games.

Not sure why they extended the time limit to Dec 4,  I have not seen anybody asking for it.

Last turn sent in my games by my opponent was Nov 8 and I don't think waiting another 10 days is going to make any difference as these two battle are going to end up unresolved.

Currently

30 with what looks like finished scores

32 No scores at all (by now there should at least be a number there) Already dead battles

25 with small scores (but I don't see many of these numbers changing daily)

I would not hold up everybody for 10 days to maybe one more game finished.  Everybody knew the finish date and time limit.

Lets get on with the next round and be done before Christmas

Edited by StoneAge

57 minutes ago, StoneAge said:

Not sure why they extended the time limit to Dec 4,  I have not seen anybody asking for it.

Last turn sent in my games by my opponent was Nov 8 and I don't think waiting another 10 days is going to make any difference as these two battle are going to end up unresolved.

Currently

30 with what looks like finished scores

32 No scores at all (by now there should at least be a number there) Already dead battles

25 with small scores (but I don't see many of these numbers changing daily)

I would not hold up everybody for 10 days to maybe one more game finished.  Everybody knew the finish date and time limit.

Lets get on with the next round and be done before Christmas

There was a 10 day extension. I got 3 battles that should be able to finish because of this. I see others still plugging away trying to finish as well. 30 days for 30 turns is pretty tight time-wise. Point being, it shouldnt have been that to begin with. If you finish early consider yourself lucky. I'd rather finish early and wait then not having finished at all. 👍

11 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

There was a 10 day extension. I got 3 battles that should be able to finish because of this. I see others still plugging away trying to finish as well. 30 days for 30 turns is pretty tight time-wise. Point being, it shouldnt have been that to begin with. If you finish early consider yourself lucky. I'd rather finish early and wait then not having finished at all. 👍

I fully agree. 30 days for actually 60 turns (it's always mirror matches!) is pretty tight, especially when you have a job (I mean in contrast to many here who are already retired), are not available e.g. over the weekend and/or your opponent lives in a different time zone.

Edited by Butschi

Turn extension was a big plus for me this round, i'm not sure if im in the same time zone for any of my opponents maybe bar one and you will always have days you can't get a turn played for each player so a few extra days to get to the end of the battle was much appreciated.

Even with the extra time another round down and yet again only 1 game out of 3 finished so no real points or results for the match, gg to my opponents but its really rather annoying to go through these entire games only for turn pace to slow to a crawl and then just not finish your matches before the end of the timer.

Well, my first two opponents never sent back so much as a single turn (and I checked pretty diligently every morning for the first month and a half). I suppose I should probably check if my third opponent is any better, but at this point I really can't be bothered. This total dependence on the reliability of another human is why I've never really gotten into multiplayer for any game (humans are notoriously unreliable). I'd really rather just have a more challenging and human-like AI than have to deal with multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Suzuya said:

Even with the extra time another round down and yet again only 1 game out of 3 finished so no real points or results for the match, gg to my opponents but its really rather annoying to go through these entire games only for turn pace to slow to a crawl and then just not finish your matches before the end of the timer.

You've got me for the Red Thunder Round. Which makes you lucky in 2 ways. 1) I'll turn the files over in plenty of time to play the whole Round. 2) You've got easy wins coming your way.

@Holien has me for the Normandy Round. He's going to get the same benefits that Suzuya will get.