Combat Mission Grand Tournament

4 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

Well, my first two opponents never sent back so much as a single turn (and I checked pretty diligently every morning for the first month and a half). I suppose I should probably check if my third opponent is any better, but at this point I really can't be bothered. This total dependence on the reliability of another human is why I've never really gotten into multiplayer for any game (humans are notoriously unreliable). I'd really rather just have a more challenging and human-like AI than have to deal with multiplayer.

It happens, just the nature of the beast. Both of my opponents only played one battle and just quit mid game in the other battle. I was winning too, so could have alot more pts but thats just the way it goes sometimes. Dont give up on MP, its by far the best way to play CM. 👍

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

You've got me for the Red Thunder Round. Which makes you lucky in 2 ways. 1) I'll turn the files over in plenty of time to play the whole Round. 2) You've got easy wins coming your way.

@Holien has me for the Normandy Round. He's going to get the same benefits that Suzuya will get. 

I played Elvis in Round 1 (CMBN).  He speaks truthfully.

4 hours ago, Jackal2100 said:

The scoring is still bugged. I lost 1000 points in the Normandy side from last week to today. My opponent had surrendered both sides, giving me 4000 points, and this morning it is now showing as 3083. Similarly lost points in RT, though that was less. Both sets of matches finished weeks ago.

Similar (sorta) here with CMBN scoring off (incorrect) in my matches before the thing ended but did not change at all when things officially ended.  And it looks like the final turn in one of the two matches disappeared in transit to my opponent (or from him to me) so one game never ended with 1:00 left and there was nothing we could do about it. 

10 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Dont give up on MP, its by far the best way to play CM. 👍

IMHO @Centurian52 is right: it's so difficult to play reliably against humans in PBEM...

I'm engaged into three PBEM games at the moment: one of my opponent struggles but manages to throw 4-5 turns a week; another one dropped from 1 turn a day to one turn a week. And the last one disappeared without a word with only 5-10 game turns remaining.

We all have RL issues that are obviously than CM games, but such slow games make it very difficult to keep focus and enjoy the game for its real value...

I think it would help to be more transparent with information up front.

Some of the information was available and if you know how Slitherine does their tournaments you can deduce some more but having it all in one place directly before registering for the tournament would be the way to go.

Information that there would be (CMCW as example) 3 rounds, with 40/30/30 turns, all mirror matches (so actually 80/60/60 turns), each round battalion sized, 30 or 40 days per round, would have told me that I actually commit to playing like 3-4 turns a day at least (because I'm often away on the weekends) for three months which is a lot when you have a life besides CM (blasphemy, I know! :D).

I am convinced that many players drop out because they didn't know the actual commitment they made beforehand. (Plus mirror matches are really not everyone's darling!)

Sent a message to slitherine support, but thought I'd mention it here as well. Ran into a bug that in my CW game, for the offensive side, it will not accept a blank password to start the game/deploy. I also see that I somehow have 2025 points in the third round even though one battle hasn't started and the other is on turn 1. I am really confused and some clarity would be appreciated.

20 hours ago, Jackal2100 said:

Sent a message to slitherine support, but thought I'd mention it here as well. Ran into a bug that in my CW game, for the offensive side, it will not accept a blank password to start the game/deploy. I also see that I somehow have 2025 points in the third round even though one battle hasn't started and the other is on turn 1. I am really confused and some clarity would be appreciated.

Is that with the initial time that you had a turn from that side or was it the 2nd file that you got?

2 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

The only explanation is that you accidentally hit a key (or keys) when you first opened the initial file and created a password. 

And I tried using a password that has a single space key/double/etc. and none of those worked. So I sent it in to support, and their idea that they had me do was run the game as an administrator, even though I don't think that has anything to do with the password system.

29 minutes ago, Jackal2100 said:

And I tried using a password that has a single space key/double/etc. and none of those worked. So I sent it in to support, and their idea that they had me do was run the game as an administrator, even though I don't think that has anything to do with the password system.

You're right. It doesn't. 

I've asked them if there is any way to resend your initial file. 

On 12/9/2023 at 5:07 AM, Holien said:

@BFCElvis BTW I still have a round 2 game showing in my PBEM folder, I try to delete it but it keeps coming back. I play it and it keeps coming back. I can't seem to get rid of it? I feel it's a bug but would be interested in knowing if anyone else still has a round 2 file in the PBEM pick up area...

Yeah. You'll have it for 30 days after the tournament ends. 

On 12/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, Jackal2100 said:

Thank you. Don't know if this is related, but it is showing one of our two games as completed with him having 3030 points and me having 2025. @cargol, is this you? If so, are you also seeing this issue?

They're still trying to figure out if they can resend you the original first file. You haven't been forgotten. They work Monday through Friday though. 🙂 So, nothing happened over the weekend.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Check and see if you have the initial turn again.

Yes, it looks like it was reset. I pressed the enter button on my keyboard being very careful not to touch anything else. Hopefully it works properly. Thank you for the assistance. Still don't understand the scoring though.

Edited by Jackal2100

14 minutes ago, Jackal2100 said:

Yes, it looks like it was reset. I pressed the enter button on my keyboard being very careful not to touch anything else. Hopefully it works properly. Thank you for the assistance. Still don't understand the scoring though.

Great news!! 

What they are able to do once a tournament starts is extremely limited. They also can't "look inside" game files and investigate things. The scoring is supposed to be 

1) Whatever a completed battle's score is rules everything. And is the official score for that battle.

2) Your opponent is a no show you get 1,000 points per battle

3) Battle is not finished should award the running scores.

4) Battles are played for a while and then 1 player abandons game should award abandoned person the running score plus 1,000 points. However, that may not be absolute and may depend on how much time has gone by without turns being sent. If the missing player hasn't send a turn in 3 days it is different than if they haven't sent a turn in 15 days. 

The bottom line is that everyone should do their absolute best to complete games. Know that is the opponent is a no show you'll get a decent number of points. And anything may not make sense.

Not the answer that I want to give but it's the best that I have gotten so far. I was given a spreadsheet that detailed things. I'm really good with numbers and maths and I couldn't figure out what that things was saying.