Combat Mission Grand Tournament

On 12/12/2023 at 12:01 AM, eniced73 said:

@BFCElvisWhile you are in contact with them find out why my CMRT games were both surrendered by my opponent but the score reflects I surrendered one game?  I setup all my f'n troops and then returned the file.  Never hit surrender or CF.  Got the turn back and right to scoring screen.  My opponent got 2000 and I got 2000.

I just heard back about your weird scoring. Are you sure they are completed battles? Slitherine is saying that the system isn't showing them as being completed and one of the battles was played (they didn't say by who) yesterday. 

These are the battles that they checked:

image_2023_12_12T17_01_30_078Z.png

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it's normal that the last round, with the final blackboard of results, remains in the pbem progress folder for a few days, in fact it's not a round that I send, my opponent has already its results table. My last CW round with results has been on my file for a week, and currently my last BN round with results has been on my file for a day or 2.

Edited by laurent 22

The tournaments, I did all 3, are over ⏰ 

Thanks to Slitherine/Matrix and BF.C for organizing these games.

I liked most of the scenarios, in particular those of the 2nd and 3rd round were all excellent, I will go faster by pointing out the only one which frustrated me a little: RT 2nd round, the one where we had Tigers there where we were waiting for KingTigers, and I didn't know that the German had an exit zone.

I had the chance to have opponents in all the scenarios, even if due to the slow rate of dispatch of some of them, we were not able to complete some battles (I play quickly because CM is the only game installed on my PC, the only one I bought, it's still a lot: 6 games).

All my opponents were very good players, only one who was a little dizzy had forgotten his reinforcements at the bottom of the map in the last RT scenario. The battles were particularly difficult, and fought like a game of chess in the last 3 scenarios of the 3 games.

I didn't have any unexpected behavior from the AI, except on BN where my last Panzer near the ruins of the bridge looked for its way in a disorderly and fatal movement. But what a battle my friends! Attacks and counter-attacks 💥 neither of us wanted to give up, it was epic💢

My opponent on the last CW scenario was also particularly tough👍, suspenseful at every turn 🥶nervously exhausting😬.

In RT I checked the rule: tanks attacking a fortified position must not be alone, infantry must precede them. My opponent lost all his T34s, thanks to the PanzerSchek/Faust (my Marder each took a T34 to their grave), while I only lost one T34 by a hit from the artillery. I was about to take all the objectives in both games but we exceeded the time limit while we had around ten turns left.

Will all of these scenarios be available to everyone after the tournament ends?

The excellent instructional videos from Usually Hapless, and the background articles from Mr. Mark Goddard published on the Matrix website, and relayed by Elvis, were very useful to me. I hope we get more.

Edited by laurent 22

Thanks BFC for organizing these tournaments. I really enjoyed all the games save one. I hope you learned a lot of lessons you can roll into future tourneys. 
  Since no-shows are just a way of life with projects like this, may I suggest one thing?  Make the first scenario worth the fewest number of points and the last scenario the most. Kinda like some game shows. This way you cull out the no-shows with the fewest number of points at steak. Maybe use somethin’ like ~1000-2000-3000 points for the 1st-2nd-3rd games. 
 Looking forward to more tourneys!

1 hour ago, holoween said:

I "played" only in the RT one if one can call that played. My first 2 oponents never showed up and my third one left after a few turns when i started to get my t34s into his backfield while his attack bogged down at the starting line.

Sad, but I guess it's to be expected that some players without ethics will do that in a public tourney...

If atleast he had surrendered...

46 minutes ago, Probus said:

Thanks BFC for organizing these tournaments. I really enjoyed all the games save one. I hope you learned a lot of lessons you can roll into future tourneys. 
  Since no-shows are just a way of life with projects like this, may I suggest one thing?  Make the first scenario worth the fewest number of points and the last scenario the most. Kinda like some game shows. This way you cull out the no-shows with the fewest number of points at steak. Maybe use somethin’ like ~1000-2000-3000 points for the 1st-2nd-3rd games. 
 Looking forward to more tourneys!

+1 for that.

Also I wonder if anything can be done against people who surrender at the beginning and in turn give an insane amount of points to the other player without fighting at all. Kinda skews the leaderboard.

I also enjoyed all games save one (CMBN Round 3).  And played against great opponents.

Some suggestions going forward:

• Make tournaments Invitational - too many drop-outs/no-shows.  I was lucky and got nine opponent who all played out to the end but I would be royally pissed getting stuck with a no-show or quitter.
  • Make it a condition of joining a tournament that payers e-mails or BFC forum addresses be provided (something like in the tournament announcements that anyone signing into this tournament agrees that their contact information be provided to opponents).  It is frustrating not being able to contact your opponent to give heads up about being away for a period or to find out why they are not returning turns, etc.  I was able to find some opponents with BFC forum names, and one or tow through the Slitherine/Matrix forums (their forum mail system is kind of useless BTW) but in some cases I tried communicating absences and such by typing in messages on the save game file screen (laurent 22, who was named in tournament as lawren so I did not clue in to that, did you see those messages on your save turn screen?).  I think it is really important to be able to contact your opponent in these things.
  • Have someone do QA/QC checks on each scenario before they are put live.  It was obvious that a number of the scenarios were modified for use in the tournaments to have total scores in the 2,000 point range.  Unfortunately there were a number of instances where points shown on the two briefing screens did not match up with the 2,000 points (or so) for the tournament and had what were the original scenario objective point totals which were usually lower (e.g., mission objective scores on top half of screens did not match up with briefing notes).  So a bit confusing.  This was also an issue with some of the objective.  Someone mentioned the 2nd CMRT scenario which must have originally had an EXIT condition for the German forces, yet the modified scenario briefings did not mention anything about getting points for exiting (as I recall as I can no longer open up the German side to see the briefing) but exit zones were still on the map.  So I interpreted scenario to ignore exiting as Germans but my opponent did exit some units but got no points for that.
  • Iron out the bugs in PBEM+.  One that bit me hard was in second CMBN Scenario.  My opponent did not send me our final turn (Me Axis, He USA).  He somehow got totally confused about the turns and never sent me the final minute of play.  So that one side of the scenario did not finish (the other did - his German side auto-surrendered).  As things stood score would have been Axis 800 (I still held corner) to USA 400 (He got the farm/commune) had it been finished.  Because game never ended the final scores should have based on those 3-1 intermediate scores (so say 101 - 87 or such).  But game never ended, I was winning marginally, but final score ended up being 0 - 2000 (AXIS - USA).  How???

Just my two cents.

Looking forward to the next ones.

2 hours ago, AtlasActual said:

+1 for that.

Also I wonder if anything can be done against people who surrender at the beginning and in turn give an insane amount of points to the other player without fighting at all. Kinda skews the leaderboard.

Yeah. That is messed up but I don’t think it happens on the BFC side. I think that is a problem that Slitherine inadvertently causes. It would be nice if BFC could return a negative score number or something that would trigger the system to give 1/2 points or whatever the rule should be. 

16 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

in some cases I tried communicating absences and such by typing in messages on the save game file screen (laurent 22, who was named in tournament as lawren so I did not clue in to that, did you see those messages on your save turn screen?).  I think it is really important to be able to contact your opponent in these things.

Hi Andrew,

I didn't pay attention, I was a bit in automatic mode when receiving and sending the turns. I don't read the emails from Matrix either, the title is enough for me to know that I have to play my turn. I didn't know that it was possible to send private messages displayed in the game. If I understood correctly: your message should be displayed in the turn window with the password left empty?

On this forum, I am notified by email as soon as I have a private message. From time to time I check my private messages on the Matrix forum, and my personal Matrix/Slitherine page. I also sent messages that remained unanswered to ghost players on these sites as well as to other players registered on the BF.c forum, where one of them replied to me, he didn't understand that it was necessary to send 2 turns/scenario (I post anything in the Matrix forums, BF.C, The few good men tournaments forum, and the old French forum Appui-Feu are enough for me).

It was indeed useful to be able to communicate in this kind of case. For the next tournaments I will authorize the display of my email address, so if necessary my opponent can contact me by email as a last resort. I believe your email was displayed in the game in the window turn passwords.

I usualy tell my opponents that they don't need to warn me in case of absence, only if they plan to give up or encounter a technical problem which will interrupt the game for an unknown period of time. I communicate by email regularly with my opponents to comment on the current game and make jokes.

I understand that it would be good to shake up the players who are a little slow, and the ghost players, without talking about sanctions. It was a good idea from Matrix to send an email shortly before the end to motivate the players. We don't know the reasons and constraints encountered by other players. I think that the majority of players are professionally active, on the move, have a family and the younger ones are busy with their studies. 

I wonder if most players are automatically entered into tournaments by Matrix ...

Some players are annoying by quitting the game midway because they're losing, but it's actually funny because it's regressive childish behavior. Seeing a serious, calm and responsible person in everyday life suddenly behave like a frustrated child is touching and funny. Sometimes I react like that, but i am not a serious person ...

Thanks for our pbem on CW. As I already said elsewhere, it was really a great game full of suspense, tension, heroic or disastrous attacks on both sides, under the care of the god of luck Fortuna who changed sides with the wind. Homer, if he had witnessed this battle, would have written a second volume of the Iliad.

Edited by laurent 22