This is the game I've wanted for years, and I had no idea it existed.

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and I hope I get to play some PBEM against some of you when I get better.

I'm a huge history fan, and also a fan of Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front, but it never quite did what I wanted. Games like Gates of Hell: Ostfront, looked gorgeous but were tactically shallow experiences that in no way represented the battles I've read about in books. The closest I could get was warg ames like War in the East 2, which still were fairly abstract. 

I found out about these games a few weeks ago and...Well, with the Steam sale I've purchased CM:BS, CM:SF2 and CM:BN, plus all the respective DLCs. I've been wanting games like these for years. Can't wait to start building the hours. I've clocked up 30 hours in two weeks which, for me as a 37 year old with a job and girlfriend, is fairly extreme.

Cannot believe I didn't try them sooner. 

Nice to meet you all :)

2 hours ago, bigbluss said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and I hope I get to play some PBEM against some of you when I get better.

I'm a huge history fan, and also a fan of Graviteam Tactics: Mius Front, but it never quite did what I wanted. Games like Gates of Hell: Ostfront, looked gorgeous but were tactically shallow experiences that in no way represented the battles I've read about in books. The closest I could get was warg ames like War in the East 2, which still were fairly abstract. 

I found out about these games a few weeks ago and...Well, with the Steam sale I've purchased CM:BS, CM:SF2 and CM:BN, plus all the respective DLCs. I've been wanting games like these for years. Can't wait to start building the hours. I've clocked up 30 hours in two weeks which, for me as a 37 year old with a job and girlfriend, is fairly extreme.

Welcome aboard!!!

I feel the same way about the game. I played Advanced Squad Leader for year sand years and when home PCs started to be available for everyone I started to dream about a computer game that would do what the board game did.....but better. I got lucky and stumbled across a beta AAR being played by 2 guys that haven't posted here in ages Moon and Fionn. Each day I waited for a new installment. The screenshots and descriptions of tactics were gripping. Then that Fall Battlefront released a Public Beta Demo of Combat Mission Operation Overlord and it was all over. As you said...It was the game that I'd always wanted. And now, 24 years later it's even better. And even crazier, I now work for them full time!

Welcome to the club @bigbluss and have a seat! 

I feel the same as you. I played several WW2 RTS and turn based games back then.

And while I had much fun none the less I felt the rts ones as to hectical at times to perform a proper strategy and the bigger, more tactical ones (mostly turn based) games lacking in presentation. 

Combat mission sits in a perfect sweetspot for me. I played this games for over 18 years now and so it is my most played game series ever. 

Even if I get turned off of these games for a while I always come back. :D

A little hint on the pbem side:

Don't wait to long for that.

After you got maybe the basics and played a few scenarios, you can dive right in. This way you learn better and faster, even though you may loose a lot of games in the beginning. 

The ai plans in several scenarios and campaigns may be really good but nothing beats a human opponent. 

I could not count the matches where it went back and forth. At one point you thought you had the upper hand, only for your opponent to turn the tides around again. Then you have to rethink and try to overthrow him again. 

That's something you rarely see with ai controlled troops. 

In addition to that the after action or during action discussions with some players are just priceless. :D (if you are into that) 

On 7/4/2023 at 8:16 PM, bigbluss said:

...I found out about these games a few weeks ago and...Well, with the Steam sale I've purchased CM:BS, CM:SF2 and CM:BN, plus all the respective DLCs. I've been wanting games like these for years. Can't wait to start building the hours. I've clocked up 30 hours in two weeks which, for me as a 37 year old with a job and girlfriend, is fairly extreme.

:)

Without forgetting the essential site of mods and scenarios overseen by our savior @Bootie !

and many mods directly available on the forum, have fun to find all !

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/

Edited by JM Stuff

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, bigbluss said:

Welcome to the community! Game is so good like many have said, and like myself have been playing, modding, and beta testing it for about 20 yrs now.

Just another testament that offering the game on Steam was a good move many had been pushing Battlefront who reluctantly didn't want to do till couple years ago. Luckily, this changed so more people are finding the BEST game of it's type in the genre bar none. Nothing out there still compares to it. Men of War looks pretty, but feels like a kids game. Only thing close I suppose is Graviteam in what they are trying to achieve, but CM is much better especially having WEGO option.

Edited by Vinnart

This is one of the reasons I was so happy to see CM go to Steam. People who might never have found this series are now part of our happy little band of maniacs. I personally found CMSF1 in a brick-and-mortar store back in 2009 I think, as a Paradox release. I am 39 now so I was like 25 or 26 then and I was instantly hooked. Now 14 years later, I am seeing more new blood around here then ever before and it warms my dark little heart. 

17 hours ago, Sakai007 said:

This is one of the reasons I was so happy to see CM go to Steam. People who might never have found this series are now part of our happy little band of maniacs. I personally found CMSF1 in a brick-and-mortar store back in 2009 I think, as a Paradox release. I am 39 now so I was like 25 or 26 then and I was instantly hooked. Now 14 years later, I am seeing more new blood around here then ever before and it warms my dark little heart. 

This is basically me, I was playing Close Combat for the most part but wanted something...more. I stumbled across CMBO in a PC store it said it was 3D so I gave it a go and 20 years later I'm still here (still have it in my drawer), albeit I have in the dipped in and out over the years. Only game series I keep coming back to.

Combat Mission is one of the best game series, I see them all as one game.

The highlight (so far) of the series was when they teased a new Combat Mission family and during the day it was revealed it was based on Cold War and pre-orders went live the very same day. It was like Christmas eve for an old gamer :)