How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Krynki area, Russian tankodesantniki storming positins of 37th Brigade. I think it is the same place that entire muscovite squad was wiped out while running month ago, within seconds that was recorded by drones.

Very bad feng-shui there for Russians apparently.

Edited by Beleg85

1 hour ago, NamEndedAllen said:

Linda Nagata’s work

Of course there are many near future mil SF writers ploughing these fields, in advance of today’s war(s). FXHolden comes to mind, for one. 

Thanks @NamEndedAllen

I added both Nagata and FX Holden's as authors for me check out. 

So many books, so many CM scenarios, so little time.

Some interesting bits here today.  Usual RU stuff blowing up.  Plus allegedly migrants in Moscow fought back against forced conscription.  And an inadvertent suicide by RPG backblast.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/12/16/2212082/-More-Russian-stuff-blowing-up-Russia-continues-to-get-chewed-up-at-Avdiivka?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

On 12/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, FlemFire said:

Average age of Ukrainian soldier is over 40, posted in this topic.

The Russians have a 7:1 drone advantage, posted in this topic.

The Russians have a 20:1 artillery advantage (by tube), posted in this topic.

The Russian economy is increasing its GDP with a stabilized war expenditure, posted in this topic (by you).

How is this trolling, exactly? I'm dealing with the same information as everyone else.

How does this have any relevance to anything? Ukraine is in a war for its very existence, and it’s only natural that they recruit and conscript anywho they feel can make a contribution. Case-in point, when I was in Norway on a NATO joint operation, I learned that EVERY Norwegian citizen, from the time they graduated secondary school, was REQUIRED to serve 15 months in the Army, or 24 months in the Air Force/Navy as long as they were physically and mentally qualified. They then served in the Active Reserve until age 45, and then in the Inactive Reserve until age 65! That was in case they were invaded again (this time by the Soviet Union). Your comments about “50-year olds” in Ukraine are nothing more than “Red Herrings.”

You have ONE chance to address this intelligently, before I put you on ignore.

Just now, Vet 0369 said:

How does this have any relevance to anything? Ukraine is in a war for its very existence, and it’s only natural that they recruit and conscript anywho they feel can make a contribution. Case-in point, when I was in Norway on a NATO joint operation, I learned that EVERY Norwegian citizen, from the time they graduated secondary school, was REQUIRED to serve 15 months in the Army, or 24 months in the Air Force/Navy as long as they were physically and mentally qualified. They then served in the Active Reserve until age 45, and then in the Inactive Reserve until age 65! That was in case they were invaded again (this time by the Soviet Union). Your comments about “50-year olds” in Ukraine are nothing more than “Red Herrings.”

You have ONE chance to address this intelligently, before I put you on ignore.

S’ok.  I think he left.  Like a good missionary he did his gods work and put the time in.  And then bailed once Steve took out his banning stick.  I am sure he will be back.

3 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

S’ok.  I think he left.  Like a good missionary he did his gods work and put the time in.  And then bailed once Steve took out his banning stick.  I am sure he will be back.

I really hope not. I get too stressed with that type of garbage. Definition of stress: “The overwhelming desire to choke the living **** out of some ignorant S.O.B. who really deserves it!”

8 hours ago, dan/california said:

The way to make the invasion of Taiwan simply impossible is the anti shipping version of this thing.

https://www.anduril.com/roadrunner

A cheap 100 km anti-ship missile/drone that launches from its own independent box. The U.S and Taiwan have the ability to do this, we just need to pull our heads out of our behinds and do it at scale, as quickly as possible. By scale I mean tens of thousands of them, they will cost a LOT less if we commit to the necessary numbers up front.

Then we can worry about the navy's job, which is how to deal with a blockade scenario.

Interestingly enough, a friend of friend once worked on a system which was a submerged version of this- basically a container of small torpedoes that could be activated remotely, and would then take out a group of ships that sailed nearby. But basically yes. Autonomous mid-range ship-missiles would protect Taiwan completely in the outright war scenario, if built at scale. However, it doesn’t help if China just decides to do a “non-violent” blockade…

20 minutes ago, kimbosbread said:

Interestingly enough, a friend of friend once worked on a system which was a submerged version of this- basically a container of small torpedoes that could be activated remotely, and would then take out a group of ships that sailed nearby. But basically yes. Autonomous mid-range ship-missiles would protect Taiwan completely in the outright war scenario, if built at scale. However, it doesn’t help if China just decides to do a “non-violent” blockade…

The blockade scenario at least gives the U.S., and its allies, time to spool up. Of course we needed to start spooling up a year ago. there are some munitions we need ten times more of, and some we need a hundred times more of. That still doesn't seem to be breaking through the way it needs to be. 

Never the less the worst case scenario is the Chinese taking the island the way Putin thought he was going to take Kyiv. That is the one we need to take off the table first. I mean i also advocate putting an entire division of Marines on Taiwan. It would take the ambiguity bit right out of the equation.

9 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Why would anyone take hydrological advice from a guy whose toilet spins in the wrong direction?

Leaving me with the mental image of a toilet that's mounted to spin like an old Tilt-a-Whirl carnival ride.

9 hours ago, OBJ said:

Would that be standing looking down drain or up?

If you're looking up drain you're in the wrong place.

Edited by chrisl

3 minutes ago, Joe982 said:

What what power does the explosive head have?  

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/12/17/ukraine-starts-mass-production-of-750-km-range-kamikaze-drones/

The AQ 400 Scythe is a long-range drone with a 750 km range, specifically designed for launch from short airstrips or catapults. It boasts the ability to carry payloads of up to 32 kilograms, with the option to expand this capacity to 70 kilograms by sacrificing some range.

Not sure why kind of explosive payload but I guess they can mix it up easily enough as it's all domestic production.