How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

8 minutes ago, kevinkin said:

I read that biologists consider the beaver the best at engineering their environment compared to all other mammals. So bring on those furry sappers!. They know who to fight for. Ants are pretty good to. But leave them to the RA. I hear the conscripts run from them.

Biologists are correct!  I have seen massive beaver terraforming and it is impressive for sure.  In my recent case the problem was only solved because, although fantastic engineers, they aren't good at judging where and when to cross a busy street at night.

Steve

36 minutes ago, Huba said:

We'll have to wait and see of course. OTOH losing some god-forsaken base on the Chinese border was a spark that caused the revolution in 1905, didn't it? Not regime-ending, but big enough to resolve the war ASAP and concentrate all efforts at internal stabilization. Same happened in 1917 more or less. Also, Putin is no Stalin, the historical analogies can only get us this far. Perhaps the fury after Sevastopol falls will give him a heart attack? That would be a very elegant solution :D

I would prefer him to emulate Stalin fully, have a stroke and lie dying in his own waste for a good while, but then again I am mean. You are much kinder.

Just now, mosuri said:

I would prefer him to emulate Stalin fully, have a stroke and lie dying in his own waste for a good while, but then again I am mean. You are much kinder.

That would be great!  Not only would the world be so much better off without him, but we'd also have the makings of a sequel to one of the greatest movies of all time... The Death of Stalin :)  I don't care who they got to play Putin, Lavrov, Shoigu, etc. I'm saying right now, I'd pay money to see it!

Steve

14 minutes ago, kevinkin said:

Many chess masters have taken on poker in recent years. Can be more lucrative if you are not a super GM (top 15). All things equal, a poker player would make a better general since poker involves reading human behavior and chess is a finite problem. I bet Putin sucks at poker. He just tells his handlers to give him the cards he needs.   

Good poker players don't play like in the movies. It's basically a game of probabilities not reading others. If you are better at calculating the probabilities than your opponents you win by losing less in the games where your draw is weak and have a higher chance of winning the others.

23 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Biologists are correct!  I have seen massive beaver terraforming and it is impressive for sure.  In my recent case the problem was only solved because, although fantastic engineers, they aren't good at judging where and when to cross a busy street at night.

Steve

This is a tour de force of all things beaver, and quite a very enlightening yet entertaining book.  Sadly, he neglected to add a chapter on the use of beavers in military defensive works.

https://smile.amazon.com/Eager-Surprising-Secret-Beavers-Matter/dp/B07DNH3J94/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3U8DB8T2RZ3IA&keywords=eager+beaver&qid=1673630387&sprefix=eager+beaver%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, Battlefront.com said:

Having recently done battle with some beavers, and seen countless examples of their handiwork, this is something I easily understand ;)

Steve

Russnet butthurt will be visible from space when it will become evident famous Kyiv biolabs were not at all about modifying birds but these furry fellas from the get go. Another failure of Russian intelligence.

Regarding coming conference:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-13/germany-closes-in-on-a-decision-to-send-leopard-tanks-to-ukraine

Edited by Beleg85

29 minutes ago, Butschi said:

probabilities

Sure they matter. But "Because poker, unlike chess or go, is a game of "imperfect information" -- the opponent's cards are hidden -- computing a Nash Equilibrium won't work because opponents can employ different strategies at each move, so there's no way for the machine to look ahead as it might in chess."
But reading how others at the table understand and play the same deck matters as well. There is a lot of intuition and risk - reward determinations too. No human can calculate like AlphaZero, so good poker players win by understanding basic probabilities and then a heavy dose of something else. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/machine-learning-goes-beyond-theory-to-beat-human-poker-champs/

Message from Mashovets.

- Apparently, in the near future the enemy in the Bakhmut area will concentrate his efforts to the south of it, trying to break through from the Andreevka-Kurdyumovka line in the direction of Belaya Gora and the village. Stupochki along the canal "Seversky Donets - Donbass"...

In the Kleshchievka area, something is not working out for him, so it is quite logical that he will try to "shift efforts" a little south. Moreover, there he has convenient exit lines.

In all likelihood, the same reserves that the enemy command has been transferring to this direction in recent weeks - units of the 57th Motorized Rifle Brigade and two rifle regiments of the mobilization reserve of the 2nd AK - will be brought into battle there. In turn, the "Wagners", most likely from the 2nd and 15th assault troops, will be completely concentrated north of Bakhmut ... in addition to the 16th and 4th assault troops

- The command of the Russian 58th CAA continues to "think" about what to do with the 2nd BTGr of the 5th Tank Brigade and the 2nd BTGr of the 37th Motorized Rifle Brigade, which it pulled up to the Zaporozhye direction in the area north of Tokmak. The dilemma, and indeed ... not very simple - either try to break into Orekhovo, or gradually strengthen the first line of defense with a number of strong points.

In the first case, you can burn your reserves absolutely aimlessly ... in the second, you will not achieve the desired effect if the expected "Ukrainian offensive" does not happen ... and this reinforcement in place and time will be recorded by Ukrainian artillery gunners ... The accumulation of personnel and weapons and military equipment, to keep in a 10-15 km zone from the line front for a LONG time without any action "is fraught with big troubles for your ***."

And something tells me that in the end, they will again be pulled closer to the Crimea, leaving a couple of tank companies and 1-2 BTGr as a reinforcement ... Because attacking Orekhovo right now is from the point of view of military expediency - total non-comme il faut...

– On the territory of Belarus, starting from 01/06/2023, units of the 6th Motor Rifle Division of the 3rd Army Corps, understaffed with "mobics", began to arrive. Apparently, the enemy command will do the same with them as with the "mobics" of the 2nd Motor Rifle Division of the 1st Guards. TA - train at Belarusian training grounds ...

The most interesting thing is that about a third of this division is now operating in the area of Kremennaya and Svatovo and the Russian command has no way to get it out of there ... How is it going to "train the mobilized personnel of the division" in isolation from its "combat core" .. I personally imagine it's hard enough.

In turn, at least the 2nd completed BTGr from the 1st Tank Regiment and the 15th Motorized Rifle Regiment is preparing to move "to the zone of a special military operation" ... There is an opinion that they will go exactly in the direction of the future Russian "great" offensive ... Therefore, in the future it will be very appropriate to track what will happen to the units and subunits of these "tamans" ...

imperfect information -- the opponent's cards are hidden -- computing a Nash Equilibrium won't work because opponents can employ different strategies at each move

You can compute NE/SPE in a game of imperfect information, regardless of game length or mixed strategies. How to precisely apply that to poker I am not going to work my brain around🙂

Edited by Kraft

18 minutes ago, MSBoxer said:

If Russia is found to be behind the Lithuanian pipeline, is this an Article 5 level event?

Obviously there could be any number of causes other than sabotage, just wondering IF this would be enough to trigger larger NATO role.

There is no automatism or automatic trigger. The member states will decide how to act and which measures to take.

Some explanations here:

NATO’s Article 5 Collective Defense Obligations, Explained | Brennan Center for Justice

4 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

There is no automatism or automatic trigger. The member states will decide how to act and which measures to take.

Some explanations here:

NATO’s Article 5 Collective Defense Obligations, Explained | Brennan Center for Justice

I understand that.  Just wondering if this would lead the member states to make the decision to get more involved.  Thinking out loud more or less.

2 minutes ago, MSBoxer said:

I understand that.  Just wondering if this would lead the member states to make the decision to get more involved.  Thinking out loud more or less.

if proven it would certainly be a game changer.  I think the threshold for proof is going to be quite high though as the response from NATO would likely have to be oriented towards giving Ukraine more.  ATACMS and more air defense would likely be boxed up and sent via Amazon prime for free overnight delivery.

3 minutes ago, MSBoxer said:

One can only speculate, but I guess one single explosion without watertight facts about the cause of the event would not be sufficient, but who knows?