How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

So there seems to be quite a few arguments and facts that suggest that, in all likelihood, those green "death rays" were some kind of BS. Or the RU Nats conducting some rite to call Yog Soggot from the Dark Beyond the Stars.

Meanwhile, commercial satellites provide plenty of intel for the OSINT community:

Edited by BletchleyGeek

1 hour ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

Many are unjustified in launching at this. Indeed old fashioned but very effective. If I were to become hermit I would choose foot wraps over any socks.

I remember reading many testimonials from German soldiers during WW2 who after learning to use wraps preferred to socks. Having never tried it myself, I can't give my opinion

Un officier de police ukrainien prend une photo de véhicules militaires russes détruits par le conflit. A Lyman, le 5 octobre 2022.
"A Ukrainian police officer takes a photo of Russian military vehicles destroyed in the conflict. In Lyman, October 5, 2022. LEO CORREA / AP"
*BMP-2, KamaZ, Ural-4320, and seems BTR-80A

Des soldats ukrainiens dans une zone récemment reprise à Izium, dans la région de Kharkiv, le 13 septembre 2022.
"Ukrainian soldiers in a recently recaptured area in Izium, Kharkiv region, September 13, 2022. KOSTIANTYN LIBEROV/AP"
* note the DPR flag

2 hours ago, Canada Guy said:

I have learnt more about boots/socks in cold weather than I thought possible - but great tips when I venture out for coffee in -50C weather again.  

What could be interesting is if Russia does pick up NATO gear in Afghanistan. CMBS would need to add the Humvee in Russian colours.

I have read a lot of western kit was left in Afghanistan.  Is there really anything of value that the Russians could use? body armour? boots? bridging equipment? This could be the first war where both combatants started with Soviet gear and ended up both fighting with NATO gear.

Let's not get out of hand with what I said about this equipment left over from Afghanistan stuff.  Russia is buying stuff from local dealers that fits into shipping containers.  It is individual kit - so webbing, PPE (body armour and helmets) and combat lifesaving stuff like tourniquets and quick clot.

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Combat use

On 1 June 1982, during the Falklands War, Sea Harrier XZ456 was destroyed south of Stanley, by a Roland launched by members of the Argentine Army's GADA 601 (601st AA Artillery Group)

Would be nice if that thing would finally down some Russians planes it was designed for...

8 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Even if its AA capabilities is fairly worthless nowadays I´d assume at least the chassis (IFV or truck) could benefit UKR forces mobility. Strip off the AA stuff and have some IFV or armored carrier again.

Guess what? If you remove the turret (from the tracked systems) you get a... Marder! :)

If Ukraine is clever, they'd demand those from Germany. AA systems are good - not those evil IFVs. 🙄

@Haiduk - these things have radar. Since the Gepard can track drones, I guess Roland can, too.

I haven't played CMBS in a while, (can't, feels too morbid), I was reviewing the TOE.....wondering about a future CM Ukraine...

Look I understand that the level of HIMARS might be too above CM's scope....if it'll tip the scales...maybe a little DLC is in order? ^_^

Gah, micro-dlc is evil but I want some rockets...

1 hour ago, BletchleyGeek said:

So there seems to be quite a few arguments and facts that suggest that, in all likelihood, those green "death rays" were some kind of BS. Or the RU Nats conducting some rite to call Yog Soggot from the Dark Beyond the Stars.

Meanwhile, commercial satellites provide plenty of intel for the OSINT community:

Nova Khakova is critical for the water supply to the Crimea. There is no doubt in my mind it will not be taken lightly. It is pivotal to Putin's invasion and control of Crimea.

I found an old clipping, dated Feb 27-22.  Events are proving out the legend

https://www.orissapost.com/amateur-historian-putin-has-forgotten-that-the-best-soviet-soldiers-were-ukrainian-during-ww-ii/

33 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

I haven't played CMBS in a while, (can't, feels too morbid), I was reviewing the TOE.....wondering about a future CM Ukraine...

Look I understand that the level of HIMARS might be too above CM's scope....if it'll tip the scales...maybe a little DLC is in order? ^_^

Gah, micro-dlc is evil but I want some rockets...

Let's imagine for a second that video games were a thing in 1935, all other things remained equal in the world, technologically and politically. What would a CM-like game covering a hypothetic World War II look like:

- Tanks would have multiple turrets and guns

- Infantry platoons would be like those of the Italian Army 

- Cavalry would be a thing

- It would have an amazing model for fortifications

- Uniforms would come in bright colors

- Etc.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

Not much news from either Kherson or Luhansk as of today morning, but Russians seem to be pissing their pants because of alleged Ukrainians preparations for offensive in the Zaporizhya. This article says that the UA forces concentrated there are the biggest since war started and keep increasing, and it's quoted by many prominent bloggers, including Strelkov. It also says that the British are orchestrating everything, including high command in the theater, and preparations for landing in Enerhodar :P 

27 minutes ago, Huba said:

Not much news from either Kherson or Luhansk as of today morning, but Russians seem to be pissing their pants because of alleged Ukrainians preparations for offensive in the Zaporizhya. This article says that the UA forces concentrated there are the biggest since war started and keep increasing, and it's quoted by many prominent bloggers, including Strelkov. It also says that the British are orchestrating everything, including high command in the theater, and preparations for landing in Enerhodar :P 

Sounds like they've been listening to the Iranians too much: the general Iranian world view is that Britain is behind everything and just using the USA as its puppet.

2 hours ago, Taranis said:

I remember reading many testimonials from German soldiers during WW2 who after learning to use wraps preferred to socks. Having never tried it myself, I can't give my opinion

Portyanky have advantage over socks if you are in a poor army (like RU army) or in place with poor logistics (like eastern front) and wear jackboots (like RU and Germans WW2). They allow to cope better with the wrong size of boots, better prevent dirt and snow from getting inside, easier to dry at campfire and more tolerant to accidental damage.

Once you are in a competent army with competent logistics while wearing modern army boots, socks win. Because portyanki stops giving you any benefit while requires a certain skill to use them. And they require even better skill to do it fast (still slower than socks). 

51 minutes ago, Huba said:

In confirmation of this, the daily strikes of kamikaze drones on Zaporozhye, which is obviously the main hub in this direction

Watched quicky new Prigozhin movie. What is interesting is that they try to portray UKR troops not as Evil Nazis but sort of equals. Given recent Putin words about how RU respect UKR it might mean Kremlin is planning to tone down RU propaganda, cut RU military fever to manageable level and return to Minsk 3 deal.

In this context recent escalation might be nothing more than leverage to force UKR/West back to negotiation table. 

7 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Have to disagree. The plastic will retain the moisture from your sweat and will saturate your socks and make things much worse. You want materials that are permeable and let moisture escape. That include changing your socks. When we were in freezing conditions, I’d have my men remove their boots during a rest stop so I could inspect their feet for condition. Of course, that would mostly go by the wayside in combat situations. I seriously doubt many Russian NCOs have any interest in trying to take care of the men though.

100% agree.  Trapping moisture just leads to enormously stinky feet -  ie the start of trench rot. 

5 minutes ago, Grigb said:

Watched quicky new Prigozhin movie. What is interesting is that they try to portray UKR troops not as Evil Nazis but sort of equals. Given recent Putin words about how RU respect UKR it might mean Kremlin is planning to tone down RU propaganda, cut RU military fever to manageable level and return to Minsk 3 deal.

In this context recent escalation might be nothing more than leverage to force UKR/West back to negotiation table. 

Classic  bullies. Try to browbeat someone smaller then give them "grudging respect", as a "worthy adversary". Still just a fascist bunch of rapist looter a$$holes. Keep their "respect"  and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. 

Scum.

Edited by Kinophile