How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

25 minutes ago, Huba said:

Russian could get their act together and leak some proof like rocket remains or something. Keeping all us hanging in the dark has to be forbidden by some human rights convention.

I don't think they care about human rights conventions, or second breakfast, or much else to do with civilization. That is why they will be forever seen as

edit: couldn't get the gif to work 😒

Although this GIF overstates the Russians level of organization....

Edited by dan/california

If the Ukrainians have ATACMS then the DoD is putting out misinformation to counter that idea:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3134558/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

And then I think your last question in terms of ATACMS, -- if I covered all your questions accurately, right now we see that the Ukrainians are able to successfully target Russian key capabilities, key command-and-control nodes, logistic nodes, and they're doing that with the existing GMLRS, with the existing HIMARS. 

unless someone besides the U.S. is providing them.

1 hour ago, cesmonkey said:

If the Ukrainians have ATACMS then the DoD is putting out misinformation to counter that idea:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3134558/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Maybe it's not technically ATACMS but some other, related device.  So US can tell the truth while not telling the whole truth.

1 hour ago, cesmonkey said:

Could be, but look at the statement again.

"they're doing that with the existing GMLRS, with the existing HIMARS."

He didn't say it's with US supplied systems, so a lawyer would say he's talking about all of what Ukraine has regardless of where they originated from.  A lawyer would also point out that he didn't say they don't have ATACMS, he just said that so far all the strikes were using GMLRS.

If we are going to take him at his word, no mistakes or lies, then this means ATACMS was not used to attack Saky airbase.  Which leaves the only viable explanations Hrim-2 or SOF.  Which works for me since i don't think ATACMS was used for that attack ;)

Steve

35 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

Some additional info on spy sat for Ukraine, "...Iceye will transfer the full capability of one synthetic aperture radar satellite collecting imagery and data over Ukraine plus access to other satellites in its constellation ..."

Full article in Space News... https://spacenews.com/iceye-ukraine-sar/

... I wonder how soft and absorbent that paper is?

Meanwhile in 'Mockba'....

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Could be, but look at the statement again.

"they're doing that with the existing GMLRS, with the existing HIMARS."

He didn't say it's with US supplied systems, so a lawyer would say he's talking about all of what Ukraine has regardless of where they originated from.  A lawyer would also point out that he didn't say they don't have ATACMS, he just said that so far all the strikes were using GMLRS.

If we are going to take him at his word, no mistakes or lies, then this means ATACMS was not used to attack Saky airbase.  Which leaves the only viable explanations Hrim-2 or SOF.  Which works for me since i don't think ATACMS was used for that attack ;)

Steve

It may as simple as the U.S. has decided to give Russia a small dose of its own medicine in the blatant denial arena. I am guessing the U.S Administration is rather tired of Lavrov denying things that are obvious as the fact that fire burns.

10 hours ago, Calamine Waffles said:

It makes sense to integrate HARM with the MiG-29, since that is the primary fighter-bomber asset of the PSU with the kinematics most suitable for HARM usage (Su-27s are more valuable as fighters and Su-24s are too few and a bit too vulnerable).

Justin Bronk suspects they might also be using it against EW assets, but no hard evidence of that yet.

Definitely. The article on The Drive also raises a very good point that if the "Dika Laska" MiG-29s are indeed two-seaters, it is very efficient asset utilization. Since the MiG-29UB (like earlier two-seat MiGs, but unlike most other two-seat versions of frontline fighters, including the Su-27UB) lacks the full combat capability of the single-seater (most significantly, it has no air search radar, just the IRST unit), additional MiG-29UB airframes would be of much less value to frontline fighter squadrons than single-seat Fulcrums. But if the "spare parts" arrive in Weasel Mode, they provide a very significant capability without taking away fully capable fighter airframes...

(And I stand ready to be corrected if my Bing translation of Wild Weasel (дика ласка) is off-base... ;) )

Edited by G.I. Joe
punctuation

The drone, which struck Black Sea HQ was filmed - as I told yesterday, this is the same type of drone, which hit refinery in Rostov oblast of Russia two months ago. More likely this is Chineese Mugen-5 or the local assembled drone, based on this type and turned out into kamikadze drone.

Mugen-5 Pro can fly 7 hours and take up to 15-20 kg of payload. There is no info about the range, but looks like it at least 200 km.This UAV made from carbone, so it's more harder for radars to detect it. Depending on options the cost of this drone can be from 10000$ to 24000$

https://www.muginuav.com/product/mugin-5-pro-5000mm-carbon-fiber-uav-platform/

БПЛА Mugin-5 Pro

Edited by Haiduk

8 minutes ago, hcrof said:

Do we know the intent behind these attacks? They don't seem to be doing much damage so I guess it is just to cause confusion/discontent?

Also to reconnoiter the air defense and most importandly IMO, to make a point in discussion about handing UA some true long range weapons. 

On an unrelated note, that made me laugh hard:

q1kfyemn6ni91.png?width=696&format=png&a

Edited by Huba

Russia wanted own parade in Kyiv. Ok, they got it. On the eve of Independence Day (24th Aug) an exposition of destroyed Russian vehicies was placed like "parade order" on Khreshchatyk - the main street of Kyiv

Edited by Haiduk

13 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Russia wanted own parade in Kyiv. Ok, they got it. On the eve of Independence Day (24th Aug) an exposition of destroyed Russian vehicies was placed like "parade order" on Khreshchatyk - the main street of Kyiv

Sheer, unadulterated class 1 trolling of the Russians. The best thing is, they had to *bring* the wrecks because no Russian armour got anywhere near...