Out of memory Crash to desktop

Kraft

Hello, I get this error message when I launch any mission above tiny

1919137011_CMmemissue.PNG.0b8ec2b2cb78047024a7cad622b6dd26.PNG

I have 8GB of Vram and 16GB of Ram, both of which are no where near used up as can be seen in the screenshot.

I have reinstalled the game several times, checked integrity of the files (through steam) and I have NO mods installed and I put everything on lowest settings (used to run on high)

What is going on here? The game used to run fine even when I loaded up master maps or the Huge missions. I dont know if there was an update that caused this. Anyone got any idea what causes this and how I can fix it?

Edited by Kraft

33 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

There was a bad version of the ATI/AMD graphics drivers causing this.

6 minutes ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

A couple of testers with AMD cards were able to solve this issue by rolling back their drivers to 21.8.2 or earlier.

I will try this, thank you for the information

Edited by Kraft

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Billythegoat said:

Got this one last night , first time- have been playing this for a year and a half , I recently discovered the fun of the scenario editor and had created a couple of huge scenario 4 battalions vs vs 2 1/2 , I started getting crashes during gameplay , like when a reinforcement spawned. 

IMG_0853.JPG

Yeah - you're pushing the engine with that size of force.  I had a scenario which was supposed to release with F&R which had about two battalions' worth of Germans and a regiment's worth of Soviets and it resolutely either failed to load or crashed about 30 minutes in.  Likewise it was easy to spot when a new unit arrived because the blue bar during the loading of the arrival turn took longer to fire up.  The map obviously played a part but was certainly not at maximum map sizes (about 3km x 2.5km), didn't have crazy elevation changes, didn't have many trees and I doubt there were more than 50 buildings on it.  These traditionally are things that on maps tend to tax the computer.

I think I found the problem , graphics board selection was set to auto select , and it looks like it was using s the intel graphics vs the Nvidia graphics card , I set it to the Nvidia and have been able to play so far without fatal errors. Would it have been possible to play Black Sea for a year ( without problems ) with the CPU graphics instead of the GPU ?

I would guess some sort of Windows Update has changed this (not sure which one it could have been though). This used to be a setting that would be controlled by a GPU utility (such as Nvidia Control Panel), but Microsoft decided Windows should control such functionality with Windows 10 at some point. I don't think this feature was part of the earlier versions of Windows, but probably something more recent (20H1 or later ?). I would guess that this setting reverted to the Intel integrated video at some point.

Luckily you discovered this since I was going to recommend uninstalling your current video driver and installing something newer (if that wasn't installed already).

• 1 month later...

I have selected my RX480 through the windows menu and according to task manager this is also what is being used by the game, yet it still crashes on the newer drivers. It should be noted the crashing for me does not yield an error message anymore, the game just disappears. It however works if I revert drivers.

As some other applications of mine require up-to-date drivers I hope a fix for this will be found.

Edited by Kraft

1 hour ago, Kraft said:

I hope a fix for this will be found.

It happens less with me when I save the game more often. Also, the game backs up in the cloud while I play. It is a feature I don't want if the modem also plays a part. I am only guessing here.

I hope a fix for this will be found.

This will likely need to be a fix coming from AMD rather than Battlefront. We have seen it a multitude of times where a newer driver misbehaves and nothing has changed on Battlefront's side. It can sometimes take up to a year to get a fix that ends up working properly (an issue that happened with CMSF1 back in 2009/2010 with AMD drivers).

Video drivers can be notoriously buggy with a variety of games. They can work fine with one game and be an absolute mess with another. This is usually the result of 'performance optimizations' which can necessitate taking some 'shortcuts' that can prove problematic with some games. That's probably what you're experiencing here. Most games on Windows are DirectX and CM is OpenGL, which is rendered by different drivers within the driver bundle. In the past it was possible with some drivers to run a different (usually older) OpenGL driver with a newer DirectX driver/driver-bundle. However this really hasn't been a possibility for about a decade with AMD and Nvidia. My assumption is that the OpenGL and DirectX drivers are sharing resources/links within the driver bundle and a different OpenGL driver simply couldn't interact with the rest of the software of the driver bundle (this is especially true of 'control panels', but there are other things too).