Barbarossa Scenarios Released

kohlenklau

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Too many projects, mostly hung up while I 'problem-solve' (normally problems of my own creation or imagination).

Mmhhuh know that one ...

Hidden48thand32ndStash

Sgt's dining table makes for a good stash for part of his collection ... seriously where are we supposed to put our feet when we come round for dinner?

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Great work Koh!

Fo'sure 👍

6 hours ago, Erwin said:

Your mod series is getting complex.  It's becoming important to create several new folders like KOH's WARSAW and KOH's BARBAROSSA etc.  I put all those in a DESIRED MODS folder or KOH's MODS folder and then add or subtract ZZZ's in front of the desired folder name to ensure the desired mods are loaded and not the unwanted ones.  It does slow down the loading of the game however.

I've created copies of the whole relevant game installation for each of Kohl's total environments, renamed the directory and app so that I know what is running then just dump his, and a few other carefully selected mods, into the appropriate z folder. Does take up a bit of extra disk space but ultimately means I can just have one dedicated Barbarossa or Afrika Korps installation, plus saves me a lot of headaches. And when there's a new version of the his mods I can just replace the whole thing in a few seconds. Also means I have my clean, original game installations where I can do my mod work without fear of accidentally trashing anything. YMMV

8 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I've created copies of the whole relevant game installation for each of Kohl's total environments

COOL!!! I used to do that as well. I should restart doing it. Here at Kohlenklau Modding Incorporated, we often get really confused on what products we have distributed.

10 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Sgt's dining table makes for a good stash for part of his collection ... seriously where are we supposed to put our feet when we come round for dinner?

That lot's my 1/48 collection, under a table in the spare room (our dining room is a kit free zone). 

Then there's the modern(ish) stuff in the bedroom.....Started off like this:

Modernand35thStash

But soon:

Modernand35thStash2

& right now:

ModernStashLate2021

The few 1/35 modern kits had to be relocated to some shelving along with all the resin kits and my small collection of 1/72 nuclear howitzers.....Recently I've had a bit of a thing for tank transporters, I have seven or eight of them now (oh, and huge airfield fire-engines, I like those too).   :rolleyes:

I couldn't even begin to describe what's up in the attic!  :wacko:

PS - Apologies to @kohlenklau for the huge wander off topic.....You did ask for pictures!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

But I wanted pictures of your BUILT ones dude!

I don't have anywhere to display my finished builds, so they either get packed into box-files and stored or given away.....I used to have a fairly extensive collection of build pictures on PB, but we all know how that ended (I think I may still have the originals on a dead PC).  :rolleyes:

Here's the only thing I can get my hands on without mounting a bit of an expedition:

Cecilia-01Cecilia-02Cecilia-03

M4A2 'Cecilia', 1st Platoon, C Company, 2nd Marine Tank Battalion, Tarawa, November 1943.

That's actually basically the ancient (50+ year old) Airfix 1/76 kit:

AIR1303.jpg

But I did a bit of work on it.....There are only 7-9 Airfix parts left, althought they are mostly fairly big ones.  In total I used seventeen different kits and aftermaket sets to build this, basically it's as accurate as I could make it:

USMC-C-Tarawa-p221.jpg

https://www.theshermantank.com/tag/tarawa/

There are no pictures of 'Cecilia' herself so I used this image of 'Colorado' as my main reference and I also received some very welcome advice from Steve Zaloga who had recently built the model visible at the link above.

Sadly this where the tale goes downhill a bit.....If you look at the image above, you'll note there's an exhaust deflector below the fuel can rack.  I just couldn't figure out how it was constructed and attached, so I asked for help on Missing Lynx and the model went on hold until the problem was solved (sound familiar at all)?

Steve sent me the drawings, but I never got round to making the deflector.....I'd already moved on to other newer & more exciting things.  :rolleyes:

PS - The name should probably be in white, not yellow, blame Dragon.....I nicked their decals.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Phil, I'm worried your focus is straying 😉.  Anyway I have all your files and I'm ready to rumble (again).

As for @Sgt.Squarehead's collection, wow do you run an online shop or something?   The multiples are impressive, think my only multiples (built that is) are T34s, Shermans and Panthers.  Can you send me some of yours please?  1/72 will do nicely 😃.

Having said that I built a lot of vehicles and painted troops etc. to play wargames with, but never really had rules that I was happy with.  And then of course I found CM...

5 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

As for @Sgt.Squarehead's collection, wow do you run an online shop or something?   The multiples are impressive, think my only multiples (built that is) are T34s, Shermans and Panthers.  Can you send me some of yours please?  1/72 will do nicely 😃.

Do you build for display, or gaming?

5 minutes ago, Vacilllator said:

Having said that I built a lot of vehicles and painted troops etc. to play wargames with, but never really had rules that I was happy with.  And then of course I found CM...

Unusually I'm going to second @John Kettler here and put in a recommendation for Too Fat Lardies 'Chain of Command' & 'I Ain't Been Shot Mum'.

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Do you build for display, or gaming?

I did build for gaming, thinking of a glorified ASL I suppose (I used 1/300 metal tanks, guns and even troops for ASL back in the day).  And I watched some folks at Bovington Tank Museum doing a Berlin scenario at 1/72 scale, which seemed great at the time.  But what I built was never really used and now resides in boxes in the attic.  Same old story.  I do however still fancy getting a few Zvezda SUs and ISUs just for the fun of making them.

CM on the other hand is a bit easier to manage, both physically and rule-wise (even if you take the odd exception) and there are some lovely folks on here to play with ❤️.

Just now, Vacilllator said:

I do however still fancy getting a few Zvezda SUs and ISUs just for the fun of making them.

1/72?  I have both of those in 1/72. 

They're nice kits but the single piece hard plastic tracks can be a pain.....I prefer L&L.

I bought loads of the Italeri IS-2, ISU-152 & ISU-122S kits, then found out they're a bit underscale, probably closer to 1/76.....It's OK if you use them together, or in isolation, but if you put them alongside a PST or Zvezda kit, they look a bit dinky! 

I went Dragon for my SU-100s, my ISU-122s are PST, I have ISU-152s from all three companies (Italeri, PST, Zvezda).

In reference to my previous post and your Kingtiger, I have a staggering amount of 1/72 spare parts (at least a cubic metre of them).....Just let me know what you need.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

58 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

1/72?  I have both of those in 1/72. 

They're nice kits but the single piece hard plastic tracks can be a pain.....I prefer L&L.

I bought loads of the Italeri IS-2, ISU-152 & ISU-122S kits, then found out they're a bit underscale, probably closer to 1/76.....It's OK if you use them together, or in isolation, but if you put them alongside a PST or Zvezda kit, they look a bit dinky! 

1/72 rules! I have the Italeri IS-2 Build but unpainted. Nice kit with plastic tracks. Sorry to hear it is underscale, I would not have guessed.

On the soviet side I also have a Dragon and Italeri T-34/76 plus two Revell T-34/85. From UM: SU-76M, ZIS-3 and ZIS-2 guns. A PST BM-13 Katyusha (studebaker). A bunch of figures to go with them (Pegasus/Revell/Preiser/Zvezda).

Zvezda recently released US infantry in 1/72. Good to see them releasing a new 1/72 kit again.

PS. The sherman looks great. Good painting job there.

Edited by Kevin2k

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I couldn't even begin to describe what's up in the attic! 

13 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

In the attic I have just one large moving carton of my Tamiya and Dragon 1/35 WW2 kits that are unbuilt. Someday...

2 hours ago, Vacilllator said:

But what I built was never really used and now resides in boxes in the attic. 

I'm detecting a theme here, modellers anonymous - I also have a box of unmade models in the attic ...

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I have a staggering amount of 1/72 spare parts (at least a cubic metre of them)

I actually laughed out loud when I read this ... thank you!

in fact this whole conversation made me chuckle oftentimes...

It's staggering the amount of tat you accumulate.....The biggest thing in my spares box is about 3/4 of a Revell 1/72 B&V 222 Wiking!  :o

114149-47642-95-720.jpg

The reason it happens is simple, here's a recent example.....I'm planning on building a M2A3 Bradley BUSK, using the Dragon 1/72 kit:

dragon-1-72-m2a3-bradley-7623-289698-p.j

I just bought a Revell 1/72 Bradley kit, for one part, to replace something Dragon did poorly.  I may well end up using the Revell tracks & sprockets too, just because I love 'L&L' and hate Dragon's single piece 'rubber-bands'.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The reason it happens is simple, here's a recent example...

Completely understand, even within my very modest attic box there is a tin full of lots of arms, legs, heads, rifles, kit bags etc etc

32 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

just because I love 'L&L'

Let me just say ... track sag on those soviet monsters 

11 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Let me just say ... track sag on those soviet monsters 

One of the last things I was working on before my modelling kind of ground to a halt was a pair of heavily battleworn SU-152s.....The Trumpeter kits hadn't come out back them so I was kitbashing PST KV-1 parts with the Pegasus Quickbuild SU-152. 

One of my reasons for doing this was so I could model worn out torsion bars on the front suspension, which changes the sit of the vechicle and seems to enhance the already fairly pronounced track sag, this is the look I'm after:

XHKVeTDSo_6ft895hcg_0iodrq1-NadzaSOg82d7

PS - Damn there's a lot of people on the internet who don't know the difference between a SU-152 and an ISU-152 or even an ISU-152M!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead