Barbarossa Scenarios Released

kohlenklau

My pziif project is coming along nicely. I have a video uploading. It is still a work in progress but the wheels turned and the 20mm did bark out fire. I have to stretch the rear hull a tad. She needs more junk in her trunk?

X44Rbfz.png

better footage in this video

Edited by kohlenklau

Phil,

Yikes, some very tense moments in the BARB DIE VERWUNDETEN BESTIEN scenario.  Well done, as always.  Very tense moments.

Grossenkiester was heading over to the gun crew after the battle, planning on doing some kiester-kicking of his own, after Antretter let his gun crew fire the last two AP shells at some Russian crewmen fleeing in the weeds.  Luckily those two shells weren't needed, or things would have really been bad!

Thanks for the cool scenario and mods.  Thing are really looking sharp.  The PZII looks pretty cool too!  B)

Gary 

Phil,

Another masterpiece, the BARB KALTE EINTOPF scenario.  The action is crazy, with a veritable wave of Soviets, and not enough ammunition or troops, muhahahaha.

I had to cycle the guys around to the ammo stash when they started getting low on ammo.  I really felt bad for the guys in the OP.  Damn, I wanted to save them...but...

This reminded me of your amazing gems for Cholm.  Same type of desperate situation, the same sinking feeling of hopelessness, and a resigned feeling that you had to hold on, because there was no place to run to.  

Fight to zee letzte round, Männer, und zen throw grenades.  Vas?  Out of grenades?  Throw rocks!!!

I was holding my breath right to the finish.  Excellent job.     Hilfe...Sani...

Gary

I am adding a new folder to my goody box that will be titled something like "optional atmospherics without modtags" and will have subfolders with contents for splashscreens and intro music to load before you start CMRT if you are planning to play a certain scenario of mine. 

I am grabbing potemkine's splash screens for example. @potemkine Excellent atmospherics for various scenarios and then just rename or delete when not needed. modtags do not work until a scenario loads so these items are not modtagged, they can't be summoned for use by a modtag. 

I will dig up some various music files to offer as well...

~~~~~~~~~~~

I made a breakthrough I guess you might call it working with the Stalingrad mods from 2016. I am making new windows to match Nigel's windows @NPye on some of his beautiful building walls to eliminate the frustrating issue with players deploying troops into buildings and then they discover there are no actual gamecoded windows to allow seeing/shooting out. My first STAL (for easily seeing my Stalingrad scenarios in your battle selection view) scenario is ready except for the windows issue... This STAL scenario will not have any of umlaut's stuff yet. I am planning another STAL scenario where I will attempt to use a bunch of umlaut's great stuff. @umlaut

Edited by kohlenklau

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Redmarkus said:

I'm loving this. I always wondered why CMRT didn't start with 1941 campaigns/scenarios and build up from there.

Because a chunk of the German stuff was already done for the Bagration period. Early war models and TOE (to CMx2 standards) would have meant a lot longer before it was ready for release.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW SCENARIO IN MY GOODY BOX

BARB SHKLOV's LABORS LOST

^
SHKLOV, RUSSIA. 11 July 1941. Shklov was a town along the main road to a bridge over the Dneiper River. Adapted from ASL Scenario T4. "In the town of Shklov, the German advance was frustrated by the determined defense of a handful of young Soviets. Skillfully using every advantage, the young officer cadets, known as "Stalin Scholars", were able to beat back the advance of the regular German forces. In order to break the deadlock, the Germans ordered the crack Infantry Regiment "Grossdeutschland" to clear the town."
^
You have about a company of Grossdeutschland elite infantry along with 2 HMG-34's. In support are two StugIII with short barrel 75mm guns with a supply of HE rounds. 
^
After the first and second failed attempts to take the town, there are reports of only some heavy weapons such as machine guns and anti-tank rifles. No anti-tank guns have been detected. The cadet force is estimated at reduced company in size.
^
You have 15 minutes to accomplish your mission. Points are awarded for destroying enemy units but the key to victory is clearing out and occupying all the buildings in the Shklov town square. Hint: Hit alt-J to see them. 
Read the designer's notes to learn about the historical aftermath of this battle.

just the previous ones...

barbarossa and earlystug

...for this scenario, the earlystug mod of the Stummel looking like the short barrel 75 StuG is a great move. You get the L24 gun with lots of HE rounds. There is no Soviet armor threat although the briefing does mention an ATR...

I COULD/SHOULD have used the grossdeutschland uniform mod but I forgot...

I blame it on my residuals of COVID!

Edited by kohlenklau

Now on my plate is a Soviet campaign for Barbarossa. I have 2 of 3 battles doing ok but have hit a mental wall on the 3rd finale big battle.

Then in the back of my mind I am working another campaign for play as axis and it is all big maps so I am dragging a$$ on that.

Sometimes I jump on smaller projects just to get something out the door for IRS tax purposes. So, these old ASL scenarios can be nice to just smash out in a day or so. In that light, I have on my desk the scenario cards for THE HEDGEHOG OF PIEPSK (ASL SCENARIO D) and THE DEAD OF WINTER (ASL SCENARIO T6).

I really wish some other guys would get the bug to crank out some Barbarossa scenarios! PM me if you want to semi-collaborate. 

Phil,

Regarding BARB SHKLOV's LABORS LOST, it is great fun!  👍  😎  I'd say you did a very good job of translating it over from ASL.  It has been forever since I was laboring over the ASL maps and carefully maneuvering my cardboard truppen into harms way.  CM has always been a dream come true for me, as I was now able to actually see in 3D the battle that I mostly had to use my imagination for with ASL.

The force mix is good, and I found myself using a sort of cautious aggression in the assault.  I had to keep casualties down, but at the same time, I had to clear out that square.  I knew that using the StuGs properly was going to make the difference for winning and losing.  

Those doggone "Stalin Students" were really hard to dislodge, but the Großdeutschland showed how it is done.  I "only" had 13 letters to write, and 12 were wounded as well. 

I have a strange "refresh" of the screen every now and then - no idea what is causing that - but when that happened, sometimes I would see the StuG phase out in a blink and be replaced for only a second with the Stummel, but then the StuG mask would replace it again.  Very strange, and I am sure it is some sort of weird Windows - NVIDIA thing going on, but no matter, because the StuGs looked really cool!

The battle plays out very tightly, and the attacker can really get hurt quickly and badly if he missteps even slightly.  The time for the battle seemed just right, with the need to move quickly to resolve the tactical situation in the time allotted balanced against the need to keep casualties down.  

It was great fun and a very enjoyable battle.  Your "translation" from ASL worked very nicely.  Thanks for your hard work and effort on this.  It is greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

Gary

40 minutes ago, Heinrich505 said:

Your "translation" from ASL worked very nicely.

Thanks Gary. You are always very kind and supportive. I figure I have at least 5 or 6 people playing these scenarios! The old CMMODS and scenario depots had a way to track downloads but I think booty did away with that. My dropbox version does NOT support keeping track of downloads. But the old CMMODS and TSD never showed thousands of downloads. If I recall correctly the counter wast just sometimes 300 some odd downloads for even the very most popular of mods and scenarios. Makes me wonder how many dudes are actually playing these games sometimes! 

I never really saw the ASL map for this but I figured it had more distance between the buildings as a generic ASL map. I decided to squeeze the buildings a bit closer together after looking at old postcards of Imperial Russia and early USSR. 

That screen refresh thing...weird. But it is the disadvantage of my shenanigans with the 3D files I suppose. I can dork around with the files and try to solve it. I will PM you later.

If you have any ASL Ost Front scenarios you want me to translate, please PM me. I am in a Barbarossa mindset at the moment but can look at other timeframes. I will try my best.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:51 AM, kohlenklau said:

Makes me wonder how many dudes are actually playing these games sometimes! 

One often gets that impression as many seem to prefer watching other people play in AAR's and DAR's or they prefer discussing technical aspects rather than playing themselves.  However, the other phenomenon is that there are now so many independent CM products that our small niche within a niche is fragmented.  It is quite possible that there are only a few dozen players on these forums per CM product.  

Hopefully, down the road (eg CM3) the products become linked so one could have a "CM1" experience where one could fight 1941-1945 in one product that would help a lot.