!983 British training film on fighting the Soviet MRR Advance Guard

John Kettler

Halmbarte,

IRL, the BMP-1 for. sure, maybe the later ones, has a remote firing option, but if memory serves, the launcher remains the BMP, rather than carrying around the missile in a suitcase. If I recall the drill correctly, the gunner can leave the track and bring his guidance control unit with him, but I don't recall how much separation he can have and still gather in the missile. Want to say 30 meters, but that seems pretty excessive. So far, though, haven't found any discussion of this matter. Ref the BMP-2, the remote firing option is altogether different.

https://armamentresearch.com/introduction-to-the-9m113-konkurs-atgm/

"In the case of the BMP-2, for example, 9M113 missiles are launched from the 9P56M control unit/firing post mounted atop the turret. However, a spare 9P135M complete with tripod is issued and carried for use by dismounted infantry."

Since each BMP-2 has its own rooftop firing post, to use the Russian term, this means that every motorized rifle squad can, if so ordered, bring its own Konkurs/AT-5/SPANDREL with it when debarking. Suspect the chief application would be in the defense, whether repelling a counterattack or something more entrenched, because classical Russian defense tactics have the ideally dug-in BMP in support of its squad, and having two separate ATGM launchers really helps in dealing with a tank attack.

Regards,

John Kettler

6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Halmbarte,

IRL, the BMP-1 for. sure, maybe the later ones, has a remote firing option, but if memory serves, the launcher remains the BMP, rather than carrying around the missile in a suitcase. If I recall the drill correctly, the gunner can leave the track and bring his guidance control unit with him, but I don't recall how much separation he can have and still gather in the missile. Want to say 30 meters, but that seems pretty excessive. So far, though, haven't found any discussion of this matter. Ref the BMP-2, the remote firing option is altogether different.

https://armamentresearch.com/introduction-to-the-9m113-konkurs-atgm/

"In the case of the BMP-2, for example, 9M113 missiles are launched from the 9P56M control unit/firing post mounted atop the turret. However, a spare 9P135M complete with tripod is issued and carried for use by dismounted infantry."

Since each BMP-2 has its own rooftop firing post, to use the Russian term, this means that every motorized rifle squad can, if so ordered, bring its own Konkurs/AT-5/SPANDREL with it when debarking. Suspect the chief application would be in the defense, whether repelling a counterattack or something more entrenched, because classical Russian defense tactics have the ideally dug-in BMP in support of its squad, and having two separate ATGM launchers really helps in dealing with a tank attack.

Regards,

John Kettler

Another application would be the ability to get ATGMs up on the roofs in urban combat. 

Nothing get 'get stuffed' to a sniper like popping them with a heavy ATGM. Well, ok, maybe using a main gun round from a tank to take out one sniper does...

H

Which point in the video?  The footage is a mix of all sorts - some from Soviet films - a lot of it staged in various training areas.  Some of it looks like Salisbury Plain but the sequences of the Soviets going through villages I don't recognize as UK training areas - I'm guessing they're US training areas in the US Zone down south but can't say for sure.

32 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Which point in the video?  The footage is a mix of all sorts - some from Soviet films - a lot of it staged in various training areas.  Some of it looks like Salisbury Plain but the sequences of the Soviets going through villages I don't recognize as UK training areas - I'm guessing they're US training areas in the US Zone down south but can't say for sure.

8:28, 9:46, 10:02 and 12:55. 

5 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Here is something for house fighting and the difficulty of maintaining command and control during MOUT operations.

Binh Ba was hardly Hue, Fallujah, Berlin or Stalingrad though was it?  This was a skirmish over a non-descript village which didn't even fill a grid square in Vietnam involving no more than 500 combatants on both sides and 100 casualties.  The Australian Army lacks the size and experience to do offensive operations against a well-prepared enemy in anything larger than a village so MOUT is certainly not the appropriate descriptor here.

8 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

The Australian Army lacks the size and experience to do offensive operations against a well-prepared enemy in anything larger than a village

The most ridiculous statement I have seen here ever. Just tell that in an RSL Club here. One thing to do with a keyboard warrior like you ignore. 

4 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

The most ridiculous statement I have seen here ever. Just tell that in an RSL Club here. One thing to do with a keyboard warrior like you ignore. 

I have been a member of the RSL for 10 years and was in the ARA for eight with two tours of Afghanistan and one of Iraq under my belt champ.  I know what I am talking about and have had numerous discussions of a similar ilk with members of my profession and veterans in the RSL.

Edited by Combatintman

8 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

One thing to do with a keyboard warrior like you ignore. 

You really could not be more wrong if you tried.  :mellow:

I tried to tell you before that some of the folk on the forum really know what they are on about.....And not just in the editor.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You really could not be more wrong if you tried

I am not here to sit by idly when people rubbish the Australian armed services. Testers and editors here think they are a law upon themselves. For me he is just somebody to be ignored. I look at my games and when he had something to do with it I won't play it.

Edited by chuckdyke

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

.Because you probably have no idea just what a fool you are making of yourself right now!

What other people think of me is none of my business. Once I am finished with somebody I am finished. Mister editor and tester feels free to insult anybody he likes anybody else gets banned. BF really knows how to keep its customers. 

Oh, man.....This is priceless.  :lol:

Just so you can see what a total tit you really are, I'll quote him:

10 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I have been a member of the RSL for 10 years and was in the ARA for eight with two tours of Afghanistan and one of Iraq under my belt champ.  I know what I am talking about and have had numerous discussions of a similar ilk with members of my profession and veterans in the RSL.

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just so you can see what a total tit you really are, I'll quote him:

On the internet you can be anything and claim to be anything. Better I stop playing this game. It has stopped to be some fun. The reason I came on this forum. The fact he insulted dead veterans says enough about him. Something a poser would do. I don't say he is. 

On 11/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, Halmbarte said:

They may have got it exactly right in the video. The earlier BTRs didn't have the side doors. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:36 PM, Hacketäuer said:

You are correct. Wikipedia says it too:

"Because of the engine placement (in the rear of the vehicle), transported infantry must mount and dismount through the sides in the BTR-60P or through the roof hatches in the roofed BTR-60PA, BTR-60PB, and BTR-60PZ variants."

BTR-60PB. It's explicitly stated in the video at 16:15 min.

19 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

One thing to do with a keyboard warrior like you ignore.

Calls a long serving member of the British armed forces a keyboard warrior. Combatintman was literally defending Western Europe in the BAOR while someone here was eating his homemade mushrooms that has given him the brain we all know and love today. 

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I am not here to sit by idly when people rubbish the Australian armed services. Testers and editors here think they are a law upon themselves. For me he is just somebody to be ignored. I look at my games and when he had something to do with it I won't play it.

Oh no, god forbid someone break out a legitimate, objective statement about a military's capabilities, on a forum about a sim that features various militaries and their capabilities. 

4 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

On the internet you can be anything and claim to be anything. Better I stop playing this game. It has stopped to be some fun. The reason I came on this forum. The fact he insulted dead veterans says enough about him. Something a poser would do. I don't say he is. 

Don't slip on your drool on the way out! I'm sure there is someone here that would be slightly less entertained by the nursing home posts. 

Edited by IICptMillerII

2 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

I'm glad you're looking out for a fella out in the stone bakery of West Oz

Yep must be the only Covid free area on the globe. But I am not trusting it will stay that way. Worldwide there is another virus it attacks the common sense of the world population. They call the local government commos and God knows what. Our premier was a medico in the Navy and it shows. 

17 minutes ago, SergeantSqook said:

Yanks(pardon my slur), am I right?

The way it started was I showed how house clearing was performed in real life. HE through the wall followed by cannister then a fireteam of three men enters the building. Some character here found it necessary to rubbish the real life units involved. Quoted his affiliation with the Returned Servicemen League. Say no more that organization refused membership of returning units at the time because Vietnam Vets had not been involved with a real war. That was lifted 20 years later. People who still have that attitude of twenty years ago there is only one thing to do for me let them know my disgust and contempt. About me you can say whatever you like don't rubbish people who can't answer from behind your keyboard.