!983 British training film on fighting the Soviet MRR Advance Guard

John Kettler

13 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

'Ashsh Al Dababir

It has to do with beekeeping if you find the translation. Joking apart. I have a little book called Infantry Training. Chapter IV section 19 General. Battles are won by the successful cooperation of all arms. Armour and artillery can't seize and hold ground, but depend on infantry to do so. Infantry will often be unable to reach is objectives without assistance from artillery, armor or engineers. It is the basic rule I use. 

8 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

t has to do with beekeeping if you find the translation.

No, it means Hornets' (or Wasps') Nest.  :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I have a little book called Infantry Training. Chapter IV section 19 General. Battles are won by the successful cooperation of all arms. Armour and artillery can't seize and hold ground, but depend on infantry to do so. Infantry will often be unable to reach is objectives without assistance from artillery, armor or engineers. It is the basic rule I use.

And how would that help me to comprehend the TOE & Organistion of Iraq's CTS in order to create a (I hope) reasonably convincing (Arabic speaking) unit (with HMMWVs, MRAPs & M1 Abrams) for the player to use (with no mods)?

That was all @Combatintman.....He gave me the idea (actually he made the original core for me) and I messed with it for ages until I could get it to work just how I wanted, maintaining C2 (as best as CM:SF1 permitted).

Not sure where a historian would have had any great utility for me there.....Suspect their eyes would have glazed over when I started waffling on about there not being enough AI Groups TBH.  ;)

Give it a rest fella, admit that you did the man a disservice and let it go.....An apology really wouldn't hurt TBH.

Before this thread went to Vietnam, as it were, the issue was raised as to the credibility (and folly) of disembarking from the BTR-60PB via roof hatches, so I went hunting for independent proof of that practice. At 1:09, with that APC sitting on the extremely flat steppe, the troops clamber out of the vehicle, an exercise which is extremely awkward and creates very high exposure to enemy fire. Subsequent portions of the video show how the situation changed with the BTR-70, which had side hatches in the upper hull, and the BTR-80, which had hatches in the lower hull. Would also like to note that standard Soviet armored tactics are predicated on fighting on the steppe, which can be extremely flat and exposed. This is why the Soviets built such low slung AFVs, whether tanks, APCs or IFV, for height directly correlated with survival, and the generally smaller stature of Soviet troops allowed for building smaller and lower AFVs.  The price for optimized effectiveness on the steppe was in gun depression angles because of low turret roofs. As you know, in fighting from elevated terrain against downhill targets, the Soviet tanks must give up a lot of hull down protection in order to be able to fight under conditions in which a US tank need only expose its turret.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Nothing like a spirited discussion (made more so by imbibing  spirits?!) full of lots of grog goodness and going off on all sorts of fascinating tangents! Shall need to do a much closer reading on Binh Ba, a Vietnam War battle of which I knew nothing. Also, found the point made regarding how manpower devouring (clear up to overall US forces, a strategic matter), one Iraqi city could be. Daresay highly restrictive US ROEs make a already severe problem orders of magnitude worse. Am going back now, though to the OP. Delighted to present a far better quality version of that official British Army training film, Soviet Encounter, so much better it even looks good at full screen setting.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler