DAR - Snow For The Hungry AXIS PBEM

51 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:
1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Am wondering if the H2H version has far fewer Russian units than the vs AI version.

I am no expert but I didn't think you could do that, I thought the units were the units

Correct you cannot have two different sets of forces in a single scenario. The units are the units.

You can create a second version of the scenario if you want to have different forces, of course, but in a single .btt file you only get one force list.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ninety-Sixth to One-Hundredth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The still shaken landsers of 1 Zug get a spot on the armour contact on their right, just as the T34 starts to rip into them.

6PtTXLI.pngE9OLkg5.pngO37EtaS.pngiH9uIby.png

I lose 2 men before it seems to lose the spot. The overwatching THQ doesn't get a spot but does at least get the sound contact.

As soon as I regain control of the remains of 1 Zug I pull them back out of range.

MliQw59.pngba4wSVT.png

They regroup with the SPWs and start to take up defensive positions. If he counterattacks with armour I can pull these guys back into the building on the objectives and make him close in where the fausts can do their work.

HIda3zt.png

I've lost contact with the forces in the woods ahead, Jean is leading the way to re-establish contact, the rest of his Zug are brought across to cover his advance.

LE5z1vr.png

KG Koskela - die Links

4 Zug set up defensive positions up at SCHWARZ as the infantry of 2 Zug occupy the woods.

GZtfUT1.png

The scouts from 1 Zug are making good progress, covered by the Panthers.

jpdIdsY.png

The rest of the Zug are onboard their SPWs and start to catch up.

aYsRhCz.png

The scouts and Panthers are approaching the boggy stream...

kyxy5Uu.png

...when the scouts get an armour contact in the trees...

gOSxaLZ.png

...quickly followed by another...

1jcfC84.png

...and then an ATG contact in a rather unusual place.

oUBxNH7.png

P1 starts to take MG fire from the treeline, probably a DP.

akZjetv.png

P2 gets a confirmed spot on a mortar team in the treeline too.

6gJPz6Z.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

All is quiet on the right, everyone makes it through the scrub and is advancing towards GRAU.

AcR0Nio.pngF6UhG4n.pngOC6bStI.png

SITMAP

cGYzRk4.png

The contacts up near BLAU are interesting. Only two, what I assume to be, T34s. So either the other one is somewhere unseen or perhaps I've stumbled upon the remainder of the platoon of the lone tank I destroyed on the left some time ago. The positioning of the ATG is odd too, very exposed. I wonder if it has been hastily redeployed once he saw KG Koskela break up the highway and didn't have time to get into a good position? Those things move oh so slowly if there are no vehicles to limber them to. Interesting.

Either way my Panthers are far too close to that treeline, only about 100m or so so next thing I will be doing is pulling them back. The StuG at SCHWARZ is also going to race up the road and try and join in the fun.

In the middle I'm going to push to try and re-establish contact and see what shakes out. I need to know if those T34s are still there and he hasn't redeployed them.

On the right it seems I have passed through unnoticed. I'm going to push them over the road and then get ready for an assault on the objective when the time is right. I will deploy some AT assets to cover the road that runs up and down the map on that side too in case he tries to reinforce with armour from other areas.

Should get nice and shooty soon!

MMM

The One Hundred and First Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Jean pushes up and we re-establish contact, of sorts, as he gets some tentative contacts on the T34s.

gX7BhKG.png

The nearest one is moving away it seems. Is this because he's spotted the impending threat on the right? I don't think so as the other one hasn't moved and he didn't move it very far, but he could be moving in bounds of course.

YvULbCm.pngaQS1hej.png

KG Koskela - die Links

P2 takes a shot at the mortar team but he's backing away so it sails over their heads.

y1PaNwN.png

P1 is taking the gun position under fire, both of them are backing up to a safe distance to then reposition.

s4Bttx8.png

P2 is watching the position of the armour contact when a shell comes flying in from the gun position...

pu2pq4Z.png

...and hits the turret. No casualties but the commander is nicked and he buttons up. The radio and optics take minor damage but that's all.

3QjmQFN.png

This is followed up with another shell, there's no way that gun reloaded that quickly so there must be at least 2 over there.

iT5qxYZ.png

This one misses and detonates under the tank but does cause some track damage.

mH8vs7M.png

The scouts who are in the trees by the bridge quickly firm up the contact. It looks like we've found at least part of the infantry gun battery, there will be another 2 guns our there somewhere though. It also explains the lack of real damage caused to P2.

PAI2B4g.png

The infantry de-bus and make their way over to the cover of the trees and the road.

1ZbuhkQ.png

Mortars start falling in the trees off to my left, he probably assumes that I am advancing infantry through there (I'm not). These must be the team I spotted last turn direct firing, unless his timing is really that good.

sax7vkD.png

The StuG has advanced up the road with no issues and takes up a position in the trees overlooking the bridge (you can see it on the top right of the above screenshot). Should the enemy try and push anything out that way it is in position to deal with it, I just need to get some infantry onto its left flank to stop him sneaking up. But he's shelling that area so I don't think he'll try it just yet and it should be safe for now.

nzq3dQf.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

I'm getting the infantry out and ready at their jumping off point, I need eyes forward.

xOBwBS5.pngI40knyx.png

SITMAP

cGYzRk4.png

MMM

On 3/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Like I've said before I would try and lure the Germans into the trees and negate their long range firepower advantage

Doesn't the weather already pretty much negate the long range advantage? How far is the visibility again?

14 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Doesn't the weather already pretty much negate the long range advantage? How far is the visibility again?

The visibility is 340m but yes it does. I was referring to the overall strategy I guess, rather than fight out in the open like on Objective ROT I'd pull back into the trees and guard the chokepoints, making the Germans come in there to flush the Soviets out which would give the advantage to the Soviets. I think they were just sitting ducks on that objective with all that room out to the left to let the Germans mass their armour, but one could of course have counterattacked down the highway to try and disrupt things.

It's how he seems to have deployed up at Objective BLAU, in the trees with armour support at a chokepoint. Going in there and getting him out could be costly, especially with my lack of manpower.

I haven't given it much more thought beyond that tbh, I will have to try it against the AI once this game has finished.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

The One Hundred and Second Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Jean is still listening.

do0gh2K.png

The T34 keeps moving away.

fv6R3Rn.pngz9p0Rj3.png

The rest of Jean's Zug are moving up in bounds to support him, they start to come under fire.

YnLajCV.png

Looks like a lone SMG toting Red.

mv8H3Qi.png

He's quickly taken under fire. Well I say this but I'm not sure how much effect spraying all your bullets into the treetops like this will have, it really shows how inaccurate these things are when not fired from a support of some kind.

nASZAIF.png

KG Koskela - die Links

P1 repositions along the treeline so it is out of LOS from the T34 in the trees but can take the infantry guns under fire.

5WuT5dQ.png

As it does so the StuG spots the gun crews and opens up with its MG.

eoJ3KQw.png

They suffer their first casualty.

B5E5SdV.png

The StuG follows up with some HE goodness.

OvwMele.pngihh91iY.png

P1 arrives on station and joins in the fun...

7Zwt8Bz.png

...and scores a direct hit, one gun is taken out.

CHFxBKF.png

The infantry continue to get into cover of the trees bordering the road.

V3tGrtL.png

Meanwhile some of the SPWs reposition to cover the right flank, in case he tries anything.

XYC7tLG.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

Still quiet. We're starting to muster for the attack, the Tiger is almost in position and then the StuG will move up with the SPWs to join the infantry.

7mwQRej.png

I dispatch a Panzerschreck team to the junction ahead to a) see if there is anything in the trees and b) to watch for any reinforcements he may send from the farm (off to the left of this image).

1tQfLRW.png

SITMAP

6RMtkT4.png

I'm trying to come up with a good way to attack the forces up at BLAU in the treeline, and I'm struggling. He has posted his armour in nice positions in the trees so rushing the tanks forward is probably only going to get them destroyed, and I don't have enough manpower to send in there to flush them out, I have to assume he has an infantry screen in front of the tanks. The boggy stream is passable in places but he has them covered at the moment, although there may be a gap on the left that I can get through to get behind the trees. Hmmm.

It looks like I may have the greatest success on the right, although I fear that GRAU is going to be extremely well defended and he has at least one tank at the farm that he can reposition, not to mention the two tanks he has that Jean is stalking in the middle. At the very least I have to try and keep them down there. Same goes for his forces up at BLAU.

Tough ask to take both these objectives in the time remaining. I am starting to think about the point distribution, I have two of the objectives occupied worth a total of 600 points, the remaining two are worth 400 combined. The points for destroying enemy forces (and I assume he gets some) will be a bit lopsided as he can destroy a larger percentage of my forces quicker, which would lead to more points. So if I lose too many forces chasing after those remaining 400 points it may cost me in that allocation. 

I will see how well defended GRAU is and then make some decisions.

MMM

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

Well I say this but I'm not sure how much effect spraying all your bullets into the treetops like this will have, it really shows how inaccurate these things are when not fired from a support of some kind.

It's not really about support for the MG... sometimes they shoot just fine like that. Never figured out what it is that triggers this kind of wild spraying.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, Bulletpoint said:

It's not really about support for the MG... sometimes they shoot just fine like that. Never figured out what it is that triggers this kind of wild spraying.

Good to know, I’ve only really noticed them spraying when shooting unsupported but then I wouldn’t notice them shooting fine like that. Will have to keep an eye out. 

Next update should be put this weekend, whole house has caught Covid this week and I’m finally starting to feel half human again so will get back on it. 

MMM

One has to take into account the many abstractions that (I assume) are needed to make the game playable.  LOS issues are well known.  One can eyeball a target, there appear to be no obstructions, and yet one cannot target it - this is an especial problem in urban games.  There are also times where one cannot see the target with eyeball, eg thru woods etc, but the AI can find a one pixel wide gap thru dozens or maybe hundreds of yards of woods and kill your unit.  Another example: When a unit occupies a foxhole, it seems like some guys are not in the foxhole and look vulnerable, but IIRC they all get the defense benefit of the foxhole.  It goes on and on...

I created a long list of 20+ "oddities and weird CM phenomena" that were posted that you can search for...  Or I can repost here if you like.

The One Hundred and Third Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

T2 and the Landsers take the SMG guy in the woods under fire.

bDVbaIF.pngRyvDdL4.png

He quickly turns and runs and we soon spot a tank crew (remaining from the one I knocked out on ROT I would imagine) and the remains of a HQ unit retreating into the woods too.

2TqpwHB.png

THQ has come up to join the party. The fire from T2 has not drawn any response from the T34s, so he must have withdrawn them.

g7WruxB.png

Jean gets a tentative contact on a T34 but the other seems to have disappeared. Has he pulled both of them back over the bridge (I would)? I think it might be nearly time to launch a holding attack with the Tigers and SPWs.

hkqsPLN.png

KG Koskela - die Links

P1 is area firing where the second gun was thought to be located.

4qkmvnh.png

There's an immediate response from said gun and it hits.

HBouNtQ.png2NAsrK0.png

P1 is immobilised. Damn. My first AFV loss of the battle.

18hMnhO.png

P2 comes up behind and starts taking the treeline under fire.

dGMSMEy.png

The dismounts are still moving up to the StuG's position.

KG Perala - das Rechts

It's nearly time to see what's ahead at the objective. My forces are ready, once the AT team is in position and the holding attack in the middle begins we can start. The skirmish line will advance first to see what they can uncover.

UpjOJbs.png

Speaking of the AT team, something interesting happens. An armour contact appears driving up the road from the farm toward the objective. Quickly.

pNwFuoC.pngFCUvVqm.pngqy4MMs8.pngBaBqGi0.png

I doubt it has any tank riders on it due to the speed it was travelling. Is he reinforcing the objective? Moving it over to attack my forces in the middle or on the left? Hmmm. I'll need to send some scouts out from ROT to see if the T34 by the farm is still guarding the road.

SITMAP

orymEaX.png

I've updated the blood board with the immobilised Panther. That was annoying but he's in good position to continue bombarding the treeline and guard against anything coming out of the trees or around the corner.

sjJTG9m.png

The T34 being moved from the farm is interesting. It's just in range of the schrek team so they will halt and see if they can get a shot, I'll also nudge the Tiger and StuG into range of the road and see if they can get a shot. It's risky as I don't think he knows I'm there, but the chance to take out a T34 unawares is too good to pass up. I just hope it hasn't spotted my AT team.

MMM

On 4/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, Erwin said:

One has to bear in mind that what one sees onscreen is not always what is actually happening.  

Ah but does that apply to bullets? Every shot’s trajectory is calculated so I would think that those are the one thing that don’t get abstracted. I may be wrong of course but that’s the way I thought it worked. 

MMM

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The One Hundred and Fourth Minute (Much Delayed - soz)

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

I decide to pull Jean back under covering fire of T2 as he has the spotting contacts wrt the armour and I want to get the info to the Tigers asap.

5lvY9Kk.pngzfq9arf.png

He does not come under fire, and is almost back at turn's end.

On the right I've still got troops watching the road to the farm. I'm thinking of sending a team out to check if that T34 is still in the trees guarding that approach to make sure it isn't sneaking up on KG Perala on the right.

Cm9LTal.png

KG Koskela - die Links

The Panthers are area firing the trees and the bend in the road as that's where he seems to have concentrated his forces.

KrDofyM.png

The dismounts come up level to the StuG and start taking scattered mortar fire. One man gets slightly wounded but there are no other casualties.

9URZxtd.png

The culprit is soon spotted sitting out in a field. Strange choice of location, he'll get some love next turn.

aBWeHxV.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

The StuG nudges forward into visual range of the road...

3wTHGbY.png

...as does the Tiger...

V86AlB5.png

...and the AT team stops in place hoping to get a shot into the flank or rear of the repositioning T34.

EhlvWKC.pngd0aJOO2.pngpMgAij0.png

Alas they never get the spot and the T34 makes it to wherever it is going. It's time to begin the assault, the KG is far too exposed out here in the tundra and I've pushed my luck as far as I can, I'm expecting him to launch an attack to wipe out this force any moment.

SITMAP

r9IjFzn.png

A bit of a pity we couldn't get any spots on that T34 on the right but them's the breaks. I'll pull the Tiger and StuG back and start advancing on GRAU.

KG Koskela may be up against more than they can handle. I'm going to do a little test to see if he has infantry supporting the T34s in the trees, I would be shocked if he didn't but hopefully we'll know soon. I also am curious as to what he has done, if anything, with the forces that were in the trees "guarding" the highway.

In the middle I'm going to share the intel that Jean has gathered and then start to advance to see if we can find where those T34s went and if they are indeed still on this side of the stream.

MMM

• 1 month later...

The One Hundred and Fifth and One Hundred and Sixth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Jean makes it back and climbs onto the engine deck of THQ. Strangely the contact info does not seem to be passed to the panzer, I'll check it again next turn. Must be noisy what with the weather and the engine noise.

cf8j2Ac.png

The rest of his Zug advance under covering fire from the MGs and the Tigers.

UUIJie0.png

On the right I send a team forward to see if the can determine if that T34 is still guarding the approach.

3DaPURG.png

KG Koskela - die Links

I move my infantry back to the road as mortars are still falling near to their location.

1vF8bMO.png

I get a full spot on the guns on the right, they are both knocked out.

xXq05En.png

I'm sending a SPW to the left through the trees. I want to see if his tanks move, this will tell me if he has an infantry screen or not.

F9jMKFr.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

It's go-time. The scout teams start advancing toward the objective, overwatched by the IFVs and the rest of the Kompanie.

n3UTWKw.png

All except that two man AT team. Now the way is clear they advance towards the road junction...

Kz1qCw3.png

..and they get a spot on infantry walking away from ROT towards GRAU. My guys hit the deck (they were on HUNT).

c2IFNy2.png

Shortly after an AT rifle team is seen advancing in the same direction.

2qF0rXH.png

I think this is the remnants of the squadron that was guarding ROT. I could of course be wrong but given the direction they are coming from it makes sense that he would drop them back to reinforce GRAU, what I don't know is if he knows KG Perala are where they are or if this was a chance encounter. Has he moved the supporting panzers back over the bridge as I suspected and is sending them up to reinforce the objective too? If so then I could have started this attack at a bad time.

SITMAP

zvyB3Mb.png

Nervous about the right. It might be time to push the Tigers up the centre to see if he has indeed moved his armour back over the stream. Interesting times.

MMM