DAR - Snow For The Hungry AXIS PBEM

Bonus Update - BDA and The Next Phase of Battle

As promised here's a breakdown of my remaining infantry strength. Note the armour and vehicles are not included, I've lost no armour thus far and only three SPWs, two destroyed and one immobilised, 2/2 has suffered two of those SPW losses though and is down to one running vehicle.

I'll break it down by company.

1 Kompanie

The assault element. I think I got off quite lightly as I expected them to be more or less wiped out taking the objective. I lost (by my reckoning) 14 men: 5 from 1 Zug, 7 from 2 Zug (they were tasked with gaining the foothold) and 2 from the weapons Zug.

The remaining strength is shown below. Whilst I "only" lost 14 men that obviously hits hard when I didn't have that many to start with. Morale across the board is pretty good considering.

1TYKA6L.png

2 Kompanie

After the disaster on the left 1 Zug was more or less wiped out. 2 Zug helped with the SBF in the attack on the objective and took six casualties and lost two SPWs (one destroyed, one immobilised).

xT2iiPT.png

3 Kompanie

These guys took some casualties in the initial recon phase but are my strongest unit as they pulled flank security during the attack.

u5Q9zV3.png

BDA on Objective ROT

I only saw maybe the remainders of a platoon retreating from the objective but he may well have been pulling them back long before I saw any. I think not though given the amount of casualties remaining in the buildings. I count maybe 2 platoons destroyed/captured not to mention the destruction of 3 x ATGs, 1 x AA gun, 3 x MG teams and 4 HQ teams. I'm confident given the mix of weapons and teams that it was a cavalry squadron defending the objective and if the ones who retreated are not badly mauled they will probably not be all that enthusiastic to carry on the fight.

What next?

OK so what are my plans? Well initially my plan was to capture the objective and then reorient and smash down the highway, grab objective SCHWARZ and then wheel right towards BLAU. In conjunction with this an attack would be launched down AoA4 towards GRAU to get him fighting in more than one direction.

I misjudged the amount of time it would take to capture ROT and it will take time to move additional forces over to the left given the restrictions to vehicular movement so I am going to have to modify the plan a bit.

A reminder of the identified avenues of approach on this map:

7HpOmLa.png

OK so where do I think he's defending? I am reasonably confident that he has a regiment of cavalry as per the briefing and a company of T34s in the AO.

A reminder of the template for a cavalry regiment:

• 1 x recon platoon
  • 1 x sapper platoon
  • 4 x cavalry squadrons each w/ 3 platoons, 1 MG platoon, 1 SMG platoon, 1 AT Rifle platoon
  • 1 x mortar squadron
  • 1 x infantry gun battery
  • 1 x AT company

That gives a total of 583 men, 4 x 45mm AT guns, 4 x 76mm infantry guns, 3 x 82m mortars, 12 x AT rifles, 8 x MMGs.

I've identified 4 x 45mm guns, two of which are knocked out, destroyed 4 x AT rifles teams and also spotted 1 x 76mm field gun and that does not appear in the TO&E for a cavalry regiment, also the presence of the 61-K tells me this is a reinforced regiment. I can't rely on there not being any more AT guns out there based on this template.

I can only hope that he is not at full strength as the thought of facing 3 more squadrons with what I have left does not fill me with hope. I've plotted where I suspect he will have set his forces (only numbered the squadrons and tank platoons as the squadrons will likely be supplemented by the sappers, recon and infantry gun batteries) up on the map and numbered them and added the FEBA. Let's go through each of the numbered items in turn.

HMGrk1L.png

1. Cavalry squadron + AT guns

Given the amount of contacts I've seen in the treeline along with Maxim MGs and 45m ATGs I'm confident that it's a squadron guarding the highway. Strange to see the ATGs not guarding the actual road though, I would have made sure that they were covering the approach instead of the ground to the right.

2. Cavalry squadron + AT guns + AA gun

The one that was holding the objective. I feel they may have retreated into the woods to the East of the objective as that's what I would do as I would want eyes on what I was up to. I also suspect that that is where he pulled his remaining two T34s back to from the objective.

3. Cavalry squadron

Not an actual objective so it could be less than a squadron but as it's the smallest organic unit I'd expect the whole lot of them to be in there. I've spotted AT rifle teams too which leads me to believe he has a squadron in there supported by tanks. Likely they don't have any AT guns, I'd expect them to be kept further back.

4. Cavalry squadron + ATGs

One squadron back at GRAU but they are probably lining the treeline at objective BLAU too so could be thinly spread. The treeline at BLAU is the perfect place to set up some AT defences.

5. T34 Platoon 1

The one that was on ROT. I saw them retreating in the direction of the trees to the East so I will assume for now that they are guarding AoA5 and 6. They are down to 2 tanks, although they could have been reinforced. I need to locate them.

6. T34 Platoon 2

I know there are at least two T34s guarding AoA4 at KT4. I've seen no sign of the third member of the platoon.

7. T34 Platoon 3

I have no idea where these tanks are located. I knocked one out on AoA1 and if I were him I'd pull the remainder back and guard the approach to BLAU from SCHWARZ so that's where I've placed them.

Of course all this needs to be confirmed :) So my plan is to split my forces into Kampfgruppen and recon in force up AoA1 and AoA4. If the forces are laid out as above then AoA 5/6, whilst being tree-lined and having a few pinch points may well be open for an attack straight into GRAU. As I don't have time to gather my forces on one axis I think the best bet at this time is to attack across a broad front and make him defend attacks from different directions. It's about all I have time for.

Kampfgruppen

KG Leino

These are the forces on ROT at the moment. They will try and get eyes on where T34 platoon 1 has gone and guard against a counterattack. If he does not counterattack then they will launch a holding attack of their own and exploit any success that comes of it, but I'm not expecting much.

This KG consists of:

• 1 Ko.
  • THQ
  • T2

KG Koskela

This KG will push up AoA1 and see what is guarding it. They will be using travelling overwatch with the StuG out front closely followed by the Panthers and 2 Ko. in its SPWs. This is an armour heavy formation as they simply don't have many infantry left.

• 2 Ko.
  • P1
  • P2
  • StuG 1

KG Perala

This KG will push up AoA4 and try and bypass the tanks at KT4 and get behind them for an assault on GRAU. They will consist of:

• 3 Ko.
  • T1
  • StuG 2

If I do attack with KG Koskela and manage to punch through it will give him a dilemma as to what to do with the forces at the farm on KT4 as they could get behind these forces. With the attack coming up AoA4 too it will be interesting to see how aggressive he wants to get, but I'm getting ahead of myself. We're still very much in recon mode, scouting up AoA1 and AoA4 and trying to get eyes into the trees beyond ROT.

Should be fun and of course I choose to remain as flexible as I can, these probably will change.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

Excellent BDA. It's often worse than it looks until you zoom in and count heads and ammo. It's clear you've given your opponent a bloody nose as well and your main striking power remains intact.  I think what's clear here is that he doesn't have an actual actionable reserve. As far as I am concerned in these conditions a platoon of T-34s is not much of a reserve at all unless extremely carefully handled. Then again, he can try and pull them all back and concentrate...

6 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Excellent BDA. It's often worse than it looks until you zoom in and count heads and ammo. It's clear you've given your opponent a bloody nose as well and your main striking power remains intact.  I think what's clear here is that he doesn't have an actual actionable reserve. As far as I am concerned in these conditions a platoon of T-34s is not much of a reserve at all unless extremely carefully handled. Then again, he can try and pull them all back and concentrate...

Actually I didn't mention ammo, the SPWs in 2 Kompanie are getting a bit low but the troops themselves are fine. Other than that there are no worries really, the Tigers and Panthers still have plenty of HE on board.

Wrt his reserves it was always going to be a tough one for him given the lack of mobility the Soviets have other than riding on tanks and the size of this map. As you say it look like he has no reserve to speak of and has committed at least two platoons forward.

MMM

The Eighty-First Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

"Herr Hauptmann! Ich habe deise Panzer gefunden!" - Obergefreiter Jokinen, 3/2/1

3 Gruppe of 2 Zug get to the wall and eyes to the East.

z7X4H1s.png

They spot a two man HQ team moving out from the trees. Perhaps this is the remains of the same team that Tiger 2 inflicted some casualties on when they were retreating? 3 Gruppe cant resist and open fire.

81fvYVL.png

Something bigger replies with sustained MG fire...

apRJ8JC.png

followed quickly by a large projectile. I think we have found the remaining tanks from the platoon that were on the objective. The shell misses and impacts the buildings behind. 3 Gruppe hit the deck.

nGZ3E1n.png

As this was going on a SPW is moving up to a position behind some building to provide some fire support. It's moving through what I thought was dead ground (can you tell how this is going to end?).

fHx72RP.png

3 Gruppe stick their heads up again and another shell comes whistling in on the same trajectory as the last one...

p9lU9B8.png

and impacts the SPW that had just arrived and was in the wrong place at the wrong time, destroying the vehicle and killing the crew. The HQ Tiger had just been moved up too and was narrowly missed.

p0k6J0Q.png

We get the sound contact in the trees. It's only one but I assume the other one is there and this now confirms that there are at least 2 Soviet tank platoons in the AO. I'm comfortable now saying that he has at least a company: one destroyed tank on the left, at least one tank in the middle, one dead on the objective and at least two on the right.

4K4WkFN.png

Jean Rambeau, that pesky Alsatian, is also trying to get eyes on the tanks and pushes forward behind the cover of trees to try and get some intel. The 251/17 and Tiger 2 overwatch. A HMG team from 4 Zug is setting up in the building behind, uncovering yet more dead Soviets.

V5DUZpZ.png

1 Zug are finishing their sweep, a Trupp from 1 Gruppe finish tending to some wounded and then cross the street to check the last building. Remember those random spotting rounds I mentioned?

UFkUyBv.png

Damn. But look at the pile of Soviets in there!

3u521PP.pngt2K5Xv6.png

The rest of the Zug are pushing onto what was formerly KT1, the hill surrounding the town, to get eyes to the South in case he decides to counterattack from that direction.

pVY1glP.png

KG Koskela - die Linke

The StuG pushes up with the Panthers following using short stops to allow the StuG to maintain distance. The destroyed T34 comes back into view. It's not marked as knocked out yet.

RaiEwUU.png

Panther 1 seems to have decided it needs to rectify that situation and starts rotating at turn's end.

pIeBNLR.png

No contacts yet. The other Panther is to the right putting MG fire into the trees.

KG Perala - das Recht

Not much to report, the advance continues and there is no reaction from the forces at the farm. We may be able to sneak through.

E1Adqxh.png

SITMAP

dB1vXwF.png

It didn't take as long as I thought it might to find the tanks that retreated. It only fired two shells and having checked the LOS from his spot it seems he can't actually target the ground where my forces are so it was the TacAI firing at my troops when they opened up on that HQ unit. The HQ unit was moving toward the objective so is this a start of a counterattack?

I've updated the blood board to reflect the loss of a SPW from 2 Zug/1 Ko.

EmOplPZ.png

MMM

8 hours ago, Falaise said:

what a captivating DAR !!
sometimes I have the impression that you are in competition with @Rinaldi to make the best DAR
for my part I will not decide...
both are extra
merci

Merci, I am glad you are enjoying it. I hope to get the next update written in the next day or two now Christmas activities have calmed down.

MMM

• 2 weeks later...

The Eighty-Second Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Everyone who is not in cover gets into cover in case of more 85mm shells. The HQ Tiger backs up a bit, just in case.

dQkit0s.png8tm9bWk.png

We brace for a counterattack...but our Alsatian pitbull feels like he can take on the whole of the Soviet Union by himself!

qGoU1Yz.png

KG Koskela - die Linke

Panther 1 finishes off the T34, even though it's clearly not been re-crewed and is likely deader than flares.

zoiJJxq.png

With that burning the Panthers move out to provide overwatch for the StuG.

gs5g296.png

The tank's crew is spotted retreating into the trees, I assume they were hiding next to their vehicle and decided that hot shards of shrapnel were not good for their health.

UryBo79.png

2 Kompanie, what's left of them, move out behind the panzers. Everyone is buttoned given my luck, or lack thereof, with keeping the gunners alive thus far.

9H1AWGa.png

KG Perala - das Recht

2/1 push up through the scrub, scouting the way ahead. No reaction so far.

Xi8TjxY.png

An overview of the ground they are traversing. You can't really tell from this picture but they are on a reverse slope from the farm and any forces he has there and there's a lot of bushes and rough ground between them and his tanks. Even if he does hear my forces passing through it would take him a while to attack through this stuff and I'd certainly have more than enough warning.

I need to be wary of a welcoming committee at the other end of it though where the terrain opens right up.

0Sa78yH.png

2 Zug have moved over from their screening position and are preparing to follow the scouts. I'm a bit nervous about moving them through the rough ground, I'll have to try and pick my way through as many clear patches as possible.

6WbUxBI.png

SITMAP

zWtb2m0.png

A quiet turn, some mortars are still falling scattered all over the place, this turn one landed way to the left of the area marked as the suspected target in the image above, I really do think they are spotting rounds but nobody is around to see them land.

I will see if he counterattacks in the middle, I'm still trying to get a solid spot on the tanks in the treeline. I assume they are both in there although I only have one contact icon. If he doesn't make any moves in the next few minutes I will launch an attack of my own, but I don't want to do it too early as he could smash into my right flank with the tanks from the farm over on the right. I need him to be preoccupied with KG Perala so he can't commit them to defeating KG Leino.

On the left I'm not sure what he could do to stop me if he has no forces up the highway. The infantry that were in the trees may be able to do some damage to the SPWs if they get close enough, I may have to drop one of the Panthers back a bit to provide some flank protection.

MMM

5 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I don't know art but I know what I like.  and this is art.  nicely done.

53 minutes ago, Rinaldi said:

Excellent update and a belated Happy New Year.

Thanks both, apologies for the delay I just couldn't seem to find time to do the write ups but we've still been playing. We're about 10 minutes ahead of this update so lots to get caught up on and I am resolved to get them done on a more regular basis. Serves me right for having so many games on the go.

A happy new year to all!

MMM

The Eighty-Third to Eighty-Fifth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

No action on the objective. The SPWs have pulled back in case of an incoming barrage but it never materialises.

k2hbrAH.pngy0N8EzW.png

Jean is watching the treeline for any signs of a counter-attack. He's getting impatient.

dG4jxaW.png

No attack comes so 1 Zug redeploy onto the hill that was KT1 and will probe forward to get eyes on the trees. Hans regrets dropping that cigarette now, his gentleman's region is freezing!

They should be safe from the location of his tank(s) from this angle.

2fhJUQa.png

T1 was kept back in case of a counter-attack but as it looks like there's not going to be one he sets off to join KG Perala on the right. The HQ Tiger is backing up to join 1 Zug on the hill.

ytz77pE.png

Jean has had enough, he wants to spill some red blood so he starts inching forward to get a better view of something to shoot. Anything to shoot.

4FbGwDO.png

KG Koskela - die Linke

The advance continues unopposed.

2BW0WfQ.png

2 Ko. in their SPWs draw level with the trees without incident.

tfm7zSb.png

Then they start spotting infantry moving around in there. First a fireteam running toward the road.

VdCpdhE.png

Then another fireteam lying at the side of the road facing in the other direction (we'll come back to these guys further down).

nh0D3YM.png

Then an HQ unit lying not far from the burning T34.

6BdA2eR.png

Finally we spot another fireteam heading toward the road. Good job I kept the vehicles buttoned.

WpX6M53.png

A DP gunner lets a couple of bursts loose but his shots fly high. These are the only shots that they take at my forces.

AaFL0pU.png

Before we know it the SPWs are past the danger zone.

P2 halted and rotated his turret to the rear to cover their advance.

bkbUcRU.png

He spots the team lying facing the wrong way and decides to inflict some pain, 75mm style.

H1eVr9I.png5Do7Itb.pnggUScQ60.png

I also ordered the 251/17 from 1 Zug to area fire the trees, forgetting that that isn't actually a turret on that thing he starts to rotate...ever....so....slowly. I hold my breath.

But he makes it and lets loose some shells.

Nxvufyz.png

Then he spots another fireteam hunting through the woods.

9OLKYAO.png

It's time to get out of here, as he's facing the other way I reverse him (as I can't go through the pain of watching him rotate again) as the T34 cooks off, spraying hot lead into the trees.

RGB5Xdj.png

As he's backing away yet more contacts are seen heading East, up the treeline and not towards the road. I wonder where he's sending them?

PvXH70P.png

Then, one of the things I was fearful of happens. 2 Zug's last remaining SPW bogs and then immobilises with a full passenger compartment as the rest of the Kompanie go on their merry way. Damn.

I'm going to have to get these out of their vehicle and into 1 Zug's and the Kompanie HQ vehicles. P2 will have to come back to provide covering fire. Not ideal.

What will happen? Will they survive? Will a red tide be unleashed from the trees and mow them down or will the sight of the big cat scare them off? (cue dramatic music)

e1qFbR0.png

KG Perala - das Recht

2/1 continue to push up through the scrub, scouting the way ahead. Still no reaction.

nymBdqb.png

The StuG repositions over to the right to cover the advance of the rest of 3 Kompanie.

sz1Tm0x.png

The scouts are almost at the end of the scrub and into open country.

ZVgHd5W.png

SITMAP

gKMmD3M.png

That went about as well as I could hope for on the left, no armour ambush (as yet) and no heavy AT weapons either. 2 Zug now have no vehicles left with that immobilisation but I plan to offload 1 Zug at SCHWARZ and continue the attack with 2 Zug so they can use their vehicles.

I'll give it a couple more minutes before I commence the attack on the forces in the middle to give the forces on the right time to advance a bit further. It's very slow going for the SPWs through the scrub so it's going to take a while to get them through. Hopefully whatever I do in the middle will convince him to commit the forces at the farm on the right to help out. We'll see.

MMM

• 2 weeks later...

The Eighty-Sixth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

2 Zug's HQ Trupp cross over to Jean's position to offer encouragement and perhaps temper his murderous intent some. They draw fire from the trees.

NgMLclk.png

Jean was not going to miss hearing those shots. His pulse quickens slightly, then his training kicks in and he becomes as cold as the frozen tundra around him, waiting.

gZZXVdJ.png

Then he spies his prey, the HQ team that were seen moving into position a short while ago. He steadies his breath, takes dead aim, squeezes the trigger...and the turn ends.

3z01a9f.png

Meanwhile on the right 1 Zug are starting to probe forward and THQ has arrived on station to assist.

IrlmtWR.png

KG Koskela - die Links

The StuG moves over onto the paved highway. A risk, but a calculated one as I've only seen infantry in the woods and they are some way behind the lead elements and this will allow him to move more quickly and reduce the risk of immobilisation.

Dt6kFin.png

Speaking of which, back at the immobilised SPW it's quiet. Too quiet.

RF1OzpZ.png

The Landsers pile out of their now useless vehicle and start moving towards 1 Zug's vehicles. P2 is reversing to come give some fire support.

jqZbx50.png

The woods are still quiet.

2hqlovD.png

The SPW crew grab some ammo and a faust and hop out too and await their ride (the reversing 251/17).

CLu5bQl.png

They watch the treeline with anticipation, or is it fear?

H4i7R5K.png

Their ride is almost here.

RDZOk4Q.png

Still they watch the trees for any signs of movement that could spell instant death.

rBmjj21.png

But none comes.

2 Zug link up with the remainder of their Kompanie but they aren't out of harm's way yet!

IAH75Mg.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

2/1 continue to push through the scrub, nothing to report and no reaction that I can see.

T1 is on the way to join them.

eflknVj.png

SITMAP

gKMmD3M.png

On the left I may have got away with it, but we'll not know until next turn.

In the middle Jean is about to open up on that HQ team and 1 Zug are probing towards the trees from KT1. I'm thinking of putting the HQ Tiger to good use and area firing his T34s' positions to see if I can drive him out. We'll see what the infantry uncover first.

On the right the way does indeed appear to be clear. The forces are gathering to start moving up to join the scouts.

MMM

• 2 weeks later...

The Eighty-Seventh Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Jean lets rip. A casualty is observed. The man has ice in his veins.

mkcc7ZV.png

The last man standing turns tail and heads back into the relative safety of the woods chased by MG fire as he is spotted by the overwatching 4 Zug in the buildings and they try their luck too. He gets away clean.

22RGMVQ.png

KG Koskela - die Links

Everyone gets mounted into the spare spots on 1 Zug's vehicles.

qRgIjLx.png

They soon set off towards SCHWARZ, unharrassed and unharried by any form of opposition. I wonder where they are?

Wr7zUH3.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

The scouts have reached the end of the scrub, kein Kontact! They start to probe out into the open.

wJzh1jL.png

The rest of the KG are moving through, oh so slowly.

glfxOX5.png

S2 is pulling flank protection. T1 is almost on station and will provide additional flank security.

hhBdSjA.png

SITMAP

ADl4eoB.png

All in all a quiet turn and a non-even on the left. It seems I have got away with it.

In the middle 1 Ko will start to probe the treeline and see what shakes out.

KG Perala on the right will continue to work their way through. I'm starting to get a bit worried about the time, there's not an awful lot left and there's a lot of map to cover. Here's hoping my forces don't have any more bad luck.

MMM

• 2 weeks later...

The Eighty-Eighth to Ninety-First Minutes

Some quiet turns ahead so let's get caught up.

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Jean pulls back in case the T34 has LOS.

9mn7D8j.pngD4sZm80.png

The weapons Zug on the objective are overwatching the trees...

DKMfetT.png

and they get another spot. A small infantry team not far from the one we just drove off.

PN3iATl.png

Meanwhile the THQ and 1 Zug start to form up on the hill to advance on the treeline and see what shakes out. No counter-attack has come so it's time to go on the offensive and at least tie his forces down in this area.

Ojrih5K.png

THQ gets a spot on the infantry in the trees and decides to do something about it.

bNQV6lO.png

No casualties were observed but they beat a hasty retreat.

ixpyyYl.png

1 Zug start advancing toward the trees.

NgtHesJ.png

KG Koskela - die Links

They got away and advance all the way up to within firing range of SCHWARZ without meeting any resistance.

rX7z0Ug.png

Some scouts dismount to go and check it out, P1 and a SPW will take the objective under fire while they advance.

xXZWECU.pngehGKSaS.pngZ55dp6H.png

I have a choice to make. The intention is to take the objective and occupy it with the remains of 1 Zug while 2 Zug moves on to try and touch BLAU. There are two ways to get there, along the road and through the trees on the left, or over the open ground on the right. The trees offer great concealment but it's obvious and the road has several bends that are obvious ambush points. Going through the trees would also be very slow.

Going right would expose my forces to anything in the trees on the left, but not so much on the right due to the distance and the limited visibility. The marsh prevents anything from sneaking up on my right flank quickly, I would need to keep an eye on that direction just in case though. His forces covering the highway were last seen moving in this direction so he may try and either attack SCHWARZ or hit me in the flank.

As it allows me to mass my firepower and would be quicker I'm planning to go right. I will of course send some scouts out to make sure there is nothing nasty lurking in the trees on the left.

REIUzZF.png

With that in mind the StuG takes up overwatch at the narrow opening in the image above.

kKk7dxA.png

2 Zug dismount and get ready to move into the trees to provide overwatch for the scouts.

LRWLTJg.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

Not much to report here, still no contact and the SPWs are moving very slowly. The scouts have uncovered nothing and are starting to think about advancing now they have caught their breath.

K80Vi5B.png

SITMAP

2QBwUww.png

It looks like SCHWARZ may be deserted, but I won't know until the infantry comb the woods. Nothing is shooting back at my vehicles though.

The advance to BLAU is difficult as there is a boggy stream blocking my way, there is a bridge crossing it but I would be shocked if it wasn't well covered. He has to have an idea that I am likely to swing that force right and head that way, so if the Soviets aren't there already I would expect him to redeploy to meet the threat.

What will be interesting is what he does with the infantry that were guarding the highway, I've not seen any sign of them for a while now.

MMM

18 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

The Eighty-Eighth to Ninety-First Minutes

Some quiet turns ahead so let's get caught up.

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Jean pulls back in case the T34 has LOS.

9mn7D8j.pngD4sZm80.png

The weapons Zug on the objective are overwatching the trees...

DKMfetT.png

and they get another spot. A small infantry team not far from the one we just drove off.

PN3iATl.png

Meanwhile the THQ and 1 Zug start to form up on the hill to advance on the treeline and see what shakes out. No counter-attack has come so it's time to go on the offensive and at least tie his forces down in this area.

Ojrih5K.png

THQ gets a spot on the infantry in the trees and decides to do something about it.

bNQV6lO.png

No casualties were observed but they beat a hasty retreat.

ixpyyYl.png

1 Zug start advancing toward the trees.

NgtHesJ.png

KG Koskela - die Links

They got away and advance all the way up to within firing range of SCHWARZ without meeting any resistance.

rX7z0Ug.png

Some scouts dismount to go and check it out, P1 and a SPW will take the objective under fire while they advance.

xXZWECU.pngehGKSaS.pngZ55dp6H.png

I have a choice to make. The intention is to take the objective and occupy it with the remains of 1 Zug while 2 Zug moves on to try and touch BLAU. There are two ways to get there, along the road and through the trees on the left, or over the open ground on the right. The trees offer great concealment but it's obvious and the road has several bends that are obvious ambush points. Going through the trees would also be very slow.

Going right would expose my forces to anything in the trees on the left, but not so much on the right due to the distance and the limited visibility. The marsh prevents anything from sneaking up on my right flank quickly, I would need to keep an eye on that direction just in case though. His forces covering the highway were last seen moving in this direction so he may try and either attack SCHWARZ or hit me in the flank.

As it allows me to mass my firepower and would be quicker I'm planning to go right. I will of course send some scouts out to make sure there is nothing nasty lurking in the trees on the left.

REIUzZF.png

With that in mind the StuG takes up overwatch at the narrow opening in the image above.

kKk7dxA.png

2 Zug dismount and get ready to move into the trees to provide overwatch for the scouts.

LRWLTJg.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

Not much to report here, still no contact and the SPWs are moving very slowly. The scouts have uncovered nothing and are starting to think about advancing now they have caught their breath.

K80Vi5B.png

SITMAP

2QBwUww.png

It looks like SCHWARZ may be deserted, but I won't know until the infantry comb the woods. Nothing is shooting back at my vehicles though.

The advance to BLAU is difficult as there is a boggy stream blocking my way, there is a bridge crossing it but I would be shocked if it wasn't well covered. He has to have an idea that I am likely to swing that force right and head that way, so if the Soviets aren't there already I would expect him to redeploy to meet the threat.

What will be interesting is what he does with the infantry that were guarding the highway, I've not seen any sign of them for a while now.

MMM

Awesome thread. Glad it's still going.

The Ninety-Second to Ninety-Fifth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The advancing 1 Zug quickly get another sound contact in the trees, that's where the other T34 is!

4DN6JTP.png

4 Zug and the vehicles provide covering fire for the advance. I'm also hoping the 88mm shells from THQ will either drive off his tanks or at least get them to button up should they be unbuttoned. Who knows, with all those splinters flying around I may even take out a TC.

amxboQ8.pngKeoAo0K.png

It seems they aren't suppressed enough though as first a man from 2 Gruppe goes down to MG fire from the trees, then a HE shell takes out the HQ Trupp. It seems I was wrong and his tanks can indeed get fire on these troops.

nW1q6ya.pngugIIJ86.pngIuz5gou.png

To make matters worse another armour contact pops up on the right. Well I say worse but this is actually good, if he is redeploying the tanks at the farm to deal with this attack then it means he is likely not aware of my advance through the scrub on the right. Hmmmm.

K4nivJG.png

THQ redeploys slightly to cover the right in case the appearance of the armour is the start of a counterattack.

B8dobJv.png

The area fire seems to have done some good as we soon get sound contacts, the tanks are moving away.

u0YWXjy.pngoyM8F3O.png

Jean is emboldened, he starts to move forward again, covered by T2.

bKJxB3n.png

KG Koskela - die Links

Up at SCHWARZ the infantry of 2 Zug fan out to check the woods, covered by the AFVs.

KK8MKSO.png

The scouts are the first to reach the treeline, followed by the remainder of the Zug. The objective is indeed free of enemy contacts.

FIRUaPe.png

P2 is covering the open ground the scouts are advancing along so the StuG is repositioned to support the infantry. P1 is pulled back to support the push to the next objective.

XoZE439.pngizBOKm2.png

The scouts move out and make good progress. No contact is made.

8ResQHq.png2ygfedH.png

The rest of 1 Zug are waiting to follow.

zix6TT3.png

As the scouts get out of range of the cover from P2 it starts to follow. P1 is in overwatch position and will move up too, followed by 1 Zug in their SPWs. 2 Zug and 4 Zug (weapons) are setting up defensive positions around the objective.

GvR7OpX.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

T1 makes it through the scrub, the difference in off-road capability compared to the SPWs is quite staggering.

bU5m0Uf.png

They are still moving through, ever so slowly. No immobilisations yet though, that is a good thing!

fH2QG7o.png

Eventually they start to trickle out. The scouts are pushing ahead to see if they can uncover anything, in these conditions they are taking nice long listening pauses just so they don't blunder onto an enemy position.

j52hqcT.png

SITMAP

GMJMX9o.png

I was a bit surprised to find SCHWARZ completely undefended but he's probably concentrating his forces around GRAU, or he may have pulled them back to defend the obvious chokepoint ahead. 

In the middle I am pleased that the attack is forcing a reaction. Less pleased at losing 1 Zug's HQ as the remaining Landsers are now not in a great state. I will see what transpires with the armour contact on their right and see if they can get a confirmed spot, I assume it's another T34 but I'd like to know for sure.

The movement of that armour is telling, I don't think he has any idea the KG Perala are currently advancing towards GRAU, hopefully that assessment is correct as if he hit me now while they are all strung out in the scrub then I could be in big trouble. Hopefully I can get the rest through and have the concentration of firepower I'd need to hold off any attack.

Fun times ahead.

MMM

4 hours ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

I was a bit surprised to find SCHWARZ completely undefended but he's probably concentrating his forces around GRAU, or he may have pulled them back to defend the obvious chokepoint ahead. 

Am, also surprised by that as that was the vs AI situation as well and I would have bet the farm that a human player would have had an ambush or two there.  Am wondering if the H2H version has far fewer Russian units than the vs AI version.

Edited by Erwin

16 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Am, also surprised by that as that was the vs AI situation as well and I would have bet the farm that a human player would have had an ambush or two there.  Am wondering if the H2H version has far fewer Russian units than the vs AI version.

I am no expert but I didn't think you could do that, I thought the units were the units and the only thing that AI plans could change was the setup and orders...I may be wrong though, I have never even tried to create a battle.

MMM

9 minutes ago, Monty's Mighty Moustache said:

I thought the units were the units and the only thing that AI plans could change was the setup and orders...

I believe that is correct.  I was commenting that your experience getting to and at Obj Schwarz seems eerily similar to my vs AI play.  I would have thought a human player would have made that obj much harder to capture.  

10 minutes ago, Erwin said:

I believe that is correct.  I was commenting that your experience getting to and at Obj Schwarz seems eerily similar to my vs AI play.  I would have thought a human player would have made that obj much harder to capture.  

Yes it is surprising, I would have probably put an AT asset at the end of the highway at the very least. Like I've said before I would try and lure the Germans into the trees and negate their long range firepower advantage and would probably have been less aggressive with the armour, keeping the whole company together to launch a furious counterattack when they least expect it.

MMM