DAR - Snow For The Hungry AXIS PBEM

• 3 weeks later...

The One Hundred and Seventh and One Hundred and Eighth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

2 Zug continue to probe forward.

LCQd2SN.png

I've not seen anything for a while so I risk bringing one of the Tigers forward to support 2 Zug in their endeavours. Jean is still on the engine deck of THQ but the spotting info still hasn't passed on, hmmm.

Crzpmys.png

My intrepid scouts move cautiously towards the farm off to the north. Es gibt noch nicht kein Kontact.

XRBUPmp.png

KG Koskela - die Links

We spot a cheeky wee monkey with a mortar in the treeline and take him under fire. He quickly goes to ground.

mJ5VL4h.png

My experiment kicks off as I move a Panther with an engine deck crammed with some infantry off to the left. He should hear this if he has any infantry screening his panzers.

WOELl67.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

I start brining up some supporting assets, the blizzard means I have to keep them closer than I'd like to the skirmish line out front.

nK3ktK7.png

The skirmishers get eyes on a HMG team behind a wall on the objective and let loose a volley as time expires. If he didn't know I was here yet, he does now!

RYZDqc0.png

They also pick up another contact behind another wall covering the open ground, likely to be another HMG team?

vLzRb72.png

Over at the crossroads I have my fingers crossed that the infantry we saw last turn hasn't spotted my AT team. Just in case I bring up a couple of SPWs, just out of range of the trees, to react if need be.

EIQQhzV.png

I quickly get the answer, my AT team are taken under fire from the treeline and we get even more infantry contacts popping up.

Eh1VkxR.png

The SPWs move up to provide supporting fires.

u9i6vAw.png

They take some fire in return.

Orj0get.png

Then something very interesting happens. Two armour contacts appear moving toward the treeline.

zOnk9AV.png

SITMAP

OfIDWzj.png

Things are hotting up. The armour contacts intrigue me. There are only two and they are moving away from KG Leino and toward KG Perala. Is this the remains of the platoon that were on objective ROT? I'm going to assume so for the time being, unless he had more tanks stashed in that area, but we may know before too long. If he has indeed pulled them back then it's go-time for the Tigers as they will be free to push over the bridge and attack them in the rear, but I need more info before committing to something like that!

What will be interesting is how he reacts to the attack on GRAU. He knows I'm there now, has probably realised I'm there in force and will be formulating plans. Does he sit tight? Pull any forces from the farm to the west to attack me in the side? Reinforce from BLAU? We shall see.

MMM

• 3 weeks later...

Have just caught up. Really glad this is still going on, and enjoying the aggressive use of the SPWs in supporting the dismounts. 

Those two destroyed Soviet infantry guns are in an...intriguing position. I think your opponent has been suffering from buck fever all game and moving a lot of assets forward prematurely to engage. More of the same perhaps with these new armoured contacts. 

20 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Have just caught up. Really glad this is still going on, and enjoying the aggressive use of the SPWs in supporting the dismounts. 

Those two destroyed Soviet infantry guns are in an...intriguing position. I think your opponent has been suffering from buck fever all game and moving a lot of assets forward prematurely to engage. More of the same perhaps with these new armoured contacts. 

Thanks, I have had some delays but determined to finish it now.

I too was confused by the position of those guns, the only thing I could think was that he had to move them from somewhere else and knowing how slow they move he must have only just got them in place when I turned up. Maybe.

MMM

• 1 month later...

The One Hundred and Ninth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

2 Zug continue to move forward. It's gone very quiet.

dyw7kR2.pngddVG103.png

Did I say Kein Kontact last time? Well we get contact from the farm area in the form of my scouts blowing up. Looks like he hasn't taken his panzers guarding the road off to attack KG Perala in the rear. This is good. Of course he may well do so now. Who knows.

hyw8JUl.png

KG Koskela - die Links

The experiment draws some conclusions. I'm moving the mobile Panther and a SPW through the trees, and there's a reaction.

OCgZtlk.png

One of his T34s backs off, I imagine it's moving to over off the open ground on the left. This confirms that he most likely has an infantry screen in the woods and I do not have enough guys to clear it out. Likely he has at least a platoon in there. I may have to give up on advancing on BLAU from this approach and try and take GRAU and then push through instead.

zxDA0fa.pngfLQaN6a.pngSQsgJtd.png

Something...interesting...happens over near SCHWARZ. I have a SPW overwatching, they're just chillin'. Kinda bored and trying to stay warm.

zPosJiw.png

Suddenly the gunner, Heinz, notices something out of the corner of his eye. He is a veteran of the Eastern front so not much the Reds do surprise him, but this baffles even this grizzled veteran. "Heiliger Strohsack!" he mutters to himself, followed by "Alarm Rechts!" to his crewmate, who quickly catches on and and starts turning the vehicle toward his quarry.

nEX8cKT.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

The attack on GRAU begins, infantry supported by SPWs start to push forward. Several things happen in this turn so I've split them up.

I73Mijx.png

Nummer 1

The attack starts. The men push forward, only to be met by more firepower than we were expecting. Casualties start to tick up.DnF5dc1.png

The SPWs push up to support, they are area firing the buildings.

ca4ixE4.png

But I continue to take casualties. Then some big booms.

CA3k7PU.png

The culprit is spotted sitting at the crossroads, this is a problem.

yno4zip.png

Then from the treeline on the left a shell rips through the 251//17 supporting the infantry. There are no survivors.

KRp0vwU.pngGs4Y7cI.png

Nummer 2

My armour is overwatching where the armour contacts appeared in the treeline.

8nJSatz.png

The Tiger spots the 251/17's killer seconds after the shot was fired. It's a T34-85 and interestingly the commander's hatch is open, but no commander. I think this is the remains of the platoon that was on ROT as suspected, the commander was obviously taken out when they were in the trees and I was area firing HE into them.

nSZa9dF.png5JcqTJ0.png

It only ends one way, one dead T34.

kXJFdCQ.png

SITMAP

Lb7J2ZD.png

I've updated the blood board.

7XxL7Qy.png

The contact that walked out of the fog over on the left is strange, I'll be moving two SPWs over to deal with that next turn. It may be a team, it may be a company, I'm going to assume it's at least a platoon for now. I can only assume it was the one that was guarding the road that he's moved back to maybe try and take SCHWARZ?

In the middle now I know that the T34s are not in the way I'm going to push the two Tigers over the bridge with a SPW leading the way to try and hit them in the rear. If I can deal with the remaining T34 then I can attack GRAU from that angle too.

The right is interesting. GRAU is very heavily defended by the looks of it, I haven't spotted any but I assume there is infantry in the buildings. I have to assume where there is 1 tank there are more but if there's a platoon at the farm, 2 on the left and 1 left in the middle then that T34 at the crossroads could be the only one, perhaps even a company or battalion HQ? I have taken a lot of casualties, I can't really afford to take much more so I will pull them back while I try and take care of the T34.

MMM

• 3 months later...

The One Hundred and Tenth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

Not much to report, the Tigers are gathering along with a SPW to push over the bridge and hit the forces that he has attacking KG Perala in the rear. The SPW will go first to scout the approach.

tswyLet.png

KG Koskela - die Links

Further confirmation that he can hear me, the contact keeps moving and settles on the left edge of the treeline, that way is blocked.

fm2SjJd.png5PFSAwE.png

Meanwhile to the rear of the position Heinz now has the angle he needs to start inflicting pain on the Reds brazenly marching across an open field like they are on the parade ground. His blood like ice in his veins Heinz calms his breath and squeezes the trigger.

IkarT1n.pngbTrgko4.pngcwS9oE1.png

The call goes out on the net for backup and the nearest 251/17 turns to join in the fun.

xfXHbdM.png

It quickly becomes a turkey-shoot, the pictures tell the story.

NOyQRov.pngYJ9d9r6.pngV1sbTA0.pngOUaAnL4.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

THe infantry pull back until I can deal with that T-34 at the crossroads.

OtxfgmS.png

On the left the last T-34 from that platoon is spotted as it pulls back. We get no hits in.

V4eDbyF.pngiwDoKJl.png

SITMAP

yTwh2gd.png

In the middle the forces are pushing up to at least perform a holding action, if not hit his remaining T-34 in the rear. On the right I need to wait until Leino's forces are across the bridge and at least have his attention before moving on GRAU to deal with that T-34. Time is ticking down though and my chances of clearing the objective are rapidly getting slimmer.

On the left my SPWs are moving in for the kill on what looks to be a platoon-sized force caught out in the open. I'm also moving one of the MG teams on SCHWARZ down to the woods in case any of them slip through.

MMM

The One Hundred and Eleventh Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The SPW leads, the Tigers follow. It's go time!

v8ZU21v.png

KG Koskela - die Links

The Reds continue to have a bad bad day.

MvQTUID.png

There are only a few survivors as time ticks down, one Ivan makes a break for the treeline as the 251/17 gunner is busy reloading.

8MwtGw2.png

Just as he's about to make it the cannon comes back to life.

RIPrBR6.png

It was a good effort, but he doesn't make it. One survivor is seen heading back from the way they came.

Nws8JhC.png

Over near the objective the limited infantry I have have dismounted and are scouting forward to see if they can get a spot on the T-34 or any infantry. Not hopeful but you never know.

JQS0WHZ.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

Quite quiet, I'm re-positioning the infantry to get away from any indirect fire that may come down on where they just were. I'm awaiting an armoured counter-attack, will see if it comes.

ZNjgQKB.png

SITMAP

o5Flbp8.png

Not much to say really, I don't think I can get to BLAU with infantry and armour guarding the approaches. That boggy stream limits movements significantly and I only have 1 mobile Panther and a StuG.

I need to move on the right, I'm a sitting duck at the moment. The forces pushing up the middle will hopefully force him to reposition.

MMM

The One Hundred and Twelfth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The panzers are rolling the trailing Tiger keeping an eye on the right flank. They are meeting no resistance so far.

hZJ8bWK.png

Back in the woods (above the Tiger in the screenshot above) I pushed some infantry in there as they had a tentative contact. A burst of SMG fire takes out a man.

hRp1SfD.png

The culprit is spotted by the Tigers, strangely, but they get no shots off.

I1b3Efc.png

KG Koskela - die Links

Only one man remains of what I am now sure was a platoon (-) sized force trying to take SCHWARZ. He is trying to get back to the woods from whence they came, Heinz has a bead on him but curses as his shots hit everything but the man.

9LgzSHf.png

Heinz runs dry and while he's reloading the Ivan manages to escape to the safety of the trees. Everyone relaxes and breaks out the smokes, all returns to quiet. For now.

bj1mXvF.png

The snowfield is littered with corpses.

o7m5irV.png

The rest of the infantry are still scouting through the forest. No contact yet.

KG Perala - das Rechts

Now the armour threat has gone I can pull back my AT team who were very exposed.

xr8QGQp.png

The others finish repositioning. I will need to launch another attack very soon, I've been sat too long.

rPUzAET.png

SITMAP

EbPBh8e.png

I'm shocked I haven't been counter-attacked on the right. By my reckoning he has two platoons worth of T-34s at least when you include company HQ and add-ons, but then the onus is on me as the attacker to take the objective from him so I get why he may just sit tight. I need to move, the clock is ticking, I just am not sure I have the firepower to take GRAU but I'll give it a try.

In the middle the small force is pushing up and over the bridge and the infantry in the woods are going to pull back. No point in getting into a senseless firefight when I don't need to. I'll put some area fire on it from ROT where I have deployed my MG42 teams.

On the left I think I am going to continue pushing through the woods but I'm not expecting to get any firm contacts so it will be time to hunker down and concentrate on defending SCHWARZ. I will keep area firing with the immobilised Panther and the StuG to try and keep his forces there pinned in place.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

• 4 weeks later...

The One Hundred and Thirteenth and One Hundred and Fourteenth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

I'm gathering the infantry that were hunting the Reds in the woods near the objective and will load them up to support the Tigers. I fear I may have left it too late but hoping for extra time! A 251/17 moves up to provide covering fire.

L5TGgIi.png

The Tigers press on over the bridge.

q6xggXd.pnguvG4DTd.png

The 251/17 is on station and starts putting fire into the woods. The infantry are moving down to join Jean.

AI5mz7x.png

The troops on the objective spot a Red in the woods.

uyFBc0k.png

They join in providing suppressive fire.

CNICprK.pngQL1kEsL.png

KG Koskela - die Links

My MG team arrive at the edge of the woodline near SCHWARZ to cover the open ground. The SPWs provide overwatch too in case he tries that AoA again (I don't think he will).

2gd1ewM.png

I've bussed some more infantry into the woods near the Panther to try and get a spot on his T-34s. It will be a miracle if they spot anything let alone get a shot off.

2AylmDA.pngfb2Cq4z.png

KG Perala - das Rechts

His remaining T-34 pulls back even further, into the path of the Tigers advancing up the middle.

dIh7e9k.png

The AT team are almost back to safety.

RZDZfHB.png

Once they are back then the plan is to MOVE. I have been static for far too long, the plan is to advance the Tiger and StuG to a SBF position and try and engage the T-34 at the crossroads while the infantry load up on their SPWs and hook around to the right so we pop up at a different position.

oH8u4AO.png

Scouts lead the way to make sure there are no nasty surprises along the chosen AoA.

z6NuJm5.pngSBSLzmd.png

The infantry, what's left of them, mount up.

GUvv1mE.png

The StuG moves into position covered by the Tiger.

9zfCCjI.png

The scouts have a good view.

Iyd0ux4.png

SITMAP

heRUdXm.png

I need to move. Not a lot of time left and a lot to do. Hopefully in the middle he keeps backing that T-34 up and my Tigers get the drop on it. I'm really surprised his remaining T-34s haven't fallen on KG Perala and wiped them out, he may have lost a few but I don't have much to defend myself really.

MMM

The One Hundred and Fifteenth and One Hundred and Sixteenth Minutes

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The 251/17 continues to provide covering fire as the infantry disengage. It's taking far too long but they do have quite a bit of forest to work through.

Z4l5Cus.png

They eventually get out into open ground.

pUFJfKN.png

Just as their ride arrives.

fASm9aX.png

Up ahead the Tigers are bounding ahead, THQ on the left, T2 on the right.

GeScStf.png

THQ pulls up as he spots some infantry heading this way, so my oppo clearly knows I'm coming,

qHSZwEL.png

THQ lets the infantry know he's spotted them.

hc6TiT1.png

Some casualties are inflicted.

1cGAhRS.png

He gets an armour contact...

bueHezx.png

...just before a shell slams into the weapon mount knocking out the MG and causing some subsystem damage.

B4hcEbD.png

Followed quickly by another that partially penetrates the front hull and incapacitates the driver.

n9Uv7ZJ.png

The tank is still operational but the crew are panicked and bail out. Firing on those infantry seems to have allowed his T-34 to get the spot, they never did spot their assailant.

LfP0Wwa.png

T2 is also spotted it seems as it also loses it's driver, this time the crew are OK and pop smoke and reverse.

5i2tYSf.png2MPN01s.png

The dismounted THQ crew finally spot the T-34 up ahead.

LO3SuoV.png

KG Koskela - die Links

Nothing happens on the left, I can't see him pushing from the strong position he has in the woods and I don't have enough combat power to make him abandon that position. I also don't think he'll try advancing on SCHWARZ again, but he may. Until something happens though I'm going to stop reporting on this KG.

KG Perala - das Rechts

Everyone is moving into position to start the assault on GRAU.

CPjvmNi.png

10xofp5.png

The plan for the T-34 is to area fire its last known location with the Tiger to try and draw its fire...

GEXKk6a.png

...hopefully allowing the StuG to get the spot and knock it out. Risky but the Tiger has more chance of surviving a hit than the StuG does.

72STnK2.png

SITMAP

XZXPK2L.png

THQ is not dead so I just hope I can remount the crew once they have regathered themselves. Next turn we'll start poking the T-34 at GRAU and see what happens while the infantry continue to probe the right flank. I do fear I've left this all a bit too late.

I think I'm done on the left, I have possession of SCHWARZ and don't think I can get to BLAU but I will keep probing with the infantry to see what shakes out.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

The One Hundred and Seventeenth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The infantry are FINALLY getting mounted up. Only 4 minutes to go though so unless there is extra time I highly doubt they will be able to do much of anything.

tHVAa2u.jpg

T2 continues to pull back...

ftGBXod.jpg

..and my hopes of re-crewing THQ are dashed when the T-34 puts another round into her and brews her up.

ZpcKhet.jpg

My first full armour loss of the battle. Not gonna lie, it stings.

KG Perala - das Rechts

Go-time. T1 and the StuG are in position.

vTUixJU.png

T1 lets fly at the T-34's last known position...

LLGLl7v.jpg

...and quickly gets some return fire that kills the driver and destroys the engine. She's immobilised.

2d6iVDy.jpg

The T-34 is spotted...

LM8is6v.jpg

...by the StuG! He takes carfeul aim...

XW28Aeq.jpg

...let's an AP shell fly at a range of about 350m...

ZVP06NA.jpg

...and destroys it with the first shot.

B0vYwTY.jpg

The infantry are bussed forward.

L3QrOs7.jpg

They dismount just out of range of prying eyes (and guns). 

8imui6A.jpg

SITMAP

bgFmLuM.jpg

THQ is now dead and T1 is immobilized. RIP. Blood board updated along with the loss of his 4th T-34.

WWtmDcP.png

The plan worked but I did get T1 immobilised. The good news is that it is within range of the buildings on the objective so I'll be saturating the area with fire to cover the advancing infantry. The StuG is going to move up to support the assault slightly now that tank is dead, but I am wary of there being more. He has 6 remaining by my count and I know where 4 of them are, here's hoping there aren't another 2 sitting on the objective.

In the centre if all I can do is keep his T-34 there then I'll be happy as I don't want him to turn that thing around and then attack my assaulting force in the flank so I'll be pressing T2 ahead to see if they can get a spot on that T-34.

Nothing happened on the left.

MMM

• 1 month later...

The One Hundred and Eighteenth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The SPWs move out, far too late to be of any assistance I fear but fingers crossed for overtime!

cJRnKsM.jpg

The armour is awaiting their arrival before moving on.

KG Perala - das Rechts

The attack begins.

DOpXV6b.jpgZ9CncGl.jpg

The StuG is on its way over to support the infantry. The T1 is peppering the objective building with fire as are the supporting SPWs.

rSGoc18.jpg

I start taking casualties. I already had a paucity of infantry, this is not good.

MFm9fnY.jpgrUo8XaI.jpg

I get some firm spots on the objective, as predicted it is swarming with Ivans.

F5IOIgK.jpg

The casualties continue to mount.

eFPHxWd.jpghf5Xkmm.jpgeFPHxWd.jpg

Then I get another sound contact heading to reinforce the objective.

wzD6ikM.jpg

SITMAP

bgFmLuM.jpg

I've left it too late, unless I get some generous overtime then I will not be able to clear the objective in time. I could maybe get onto it to deny him the points but that would depend on him I guess. He's already reinforcing it with one tank and I still expect an attack to fall on their left flank from the direction of the farm at any moment.

MMM

The One Hundred and Nineteenth Minute

KG Leino -  Die Mitte

The SPWs arrive on station.

tVzMtmg.jpg

KG Perala - das Rechts

The attack continues.

jrhzqkp.jpg

A 251/17 goes boom.

lxlFJlK.jpg

At least one more T34 to deal with!

9vLhPXT.jpg

The poor infantry. The pictures tell the story.

lo4GIBv.jpgeNwKAGY.jpgNuHTV8z.jpg

On a positive note the StuG arrives to help, a bit too late, but he has spotted the T34 and it does not appear that he has been spotted in return...

WppeauV.jpg

SITMAP

bgFmLuM.jpg

I've updated the blood board with the loss. It's all pretty much academic now. I could try and rush the StuG onto the objective but that doesn't seem like good form to me, and certainly not realistic and I like to play as if I were actually there.

j4Gq5bi.jpg

MMM

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, George MC said:

Brill update ta.

The End Game is always the toughest part of any battle I find. Appreciate the playing as though you were there. I tend tae adopt a similar stance when playing.

Thanks @George MC, I must remember it is a game from time to time though, especially when the points are on the line :) 

I should get the next one up soon.