Russian war movie Tankers--lots of real Soviet tanks!

This movie is about the stunning achievements of Captain Semyon Valievich Konalova in his KV-1 (real KV-1C in film). In a way, this movie, set in 1942, is aspirational in terms of CMx2 games to come from earlier in the war than CMRT, but on the other end, it has T-34/76s of models which served to the end of the war and factory fresh T-34/85s. Not CGI tanks. Real ones! Unlike Fury, this gets into the nits and grits of armored warfare down to the level of cannibalizing tank wrecks on the battlefield for vital parts, desperate improvisations, technical repairs under crude field conditions and more. There shouldn't be Panzer IV/Hs (too early), but the skirt armor hides the telltale Russian running gear. The film nicely depicts the second war the Soviet soldiers were fighting, a draconian system in which political officers were sometimes more dangerous than the Germans! 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

1 hour ago, John Kettler said:

a draconian system in which political officers were sometimes more dangerous than the Germans! 

"We can send him and his family to the Gulags in Siberia! Unfortunately, the traditional methods are not so effective." Krushev replied in Enemy at the Gates. 

On 6/5/2021 at 6:59 AM, Bufo said:

Panzer IVs in the movie are some kind of russian tanks with props.

They look a bit wide for Pz IVs, but I'm no expert.  If they are made from a Russian tank, I wonder which one they're made from.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:51 AM, John Kettler said:

In a way, this movie, set in 1942, is aspirational in terms of CMx2 games to come from earlier in the war than CMRT...

I wish it was so. We know the deal now.

EDIT: Here is how it will probably work. If CMX3 or game engine 5 takes too long, BFC MIGHT fart out some kind of east front 1943-1944 rehash with almost all the same uniform textures, the same odd half-finished greatcoat and a few bmps where you see the uv map will still be there in the clutter of the folders. It takes longer to put together the download package...their stable of scenario writers will crank out what a nominal 20 scenarios, maybe 2 or 3 or 4 campaigns. The beta testers who get to keep the beta version of the game as their reward will all assemble. And the new vehicle models which you can buy for like $200 on the internet, I guess Casio Lima is a high end professional, not perfect or we wouldn't see an occasional glitch, right? So, he cranks out a few mid-war vehicles. I don't know what they'd call it using the normal 4 letter system. CMTP? Combat Mission Turning Point? Who knows. Of course I'd buy it. I admit it. 

Edited by kohlenklau

26 minutes ago, Probus said:

They look a bit wide for Pz IVs, but I'm no expert.  If they are made from a Russian tank, I wonder which one they're made from.

My guess is that they are T-72s.

Edited by Bufo

Probus,

The Panzer IV/Hs are reported in comments to be T-44s.

Vergeltungswaffe,

Thanks! Can't say I'm shocked I forgot something. Besides, when I posted this time, I'd been up for many hours and just wanted to pass the word.

kohlenklau,

Did you see my post on your namesake Marder? Yes, I did see T-34? 

Regards,

John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

The Panzer IV/Hs are reported in comments to be T-44s.

My first reaction is "What the heck are T-44s?". I'm gonna have to look that one up. JS-IIIs I've heard of, but not T-44s. 

I haven't watched all of it yet, but The KV-1 tank was a highlight. It looks smaller than I imagined. Except on the inside. The inside looks luxuriously large. 

Edited by Probus

On 6/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, John Kettler said:

This movie is about the stunning achievements of Captain Semyon Valievich Konalova in his KV-1

That movie is nothing but a boring love story about a tank commander and his exwife who is fixing up damaged tanks.

I haven't watched T-34 but am already certain that it's filled with SS-soldiers. Modern day Russian films about WW2 are usually filled with mostly SS-soldiers. Russian kids probably believe that there where three army groups SS-North, SS-Centre and SS-South attacking Soviet in June 1941.

Edited by BornGinger

4 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

That movie is nothing but a boring love story about a tank commander and his exwife who is fixing up damaged tanks.

But the tanks!  You don't get to see those kinds of real tanks everyday.