"Tankers" (2018) is full of real Soviet tanks

It has a KV-1, the first major production model of the T-34/76, the T-34/76 M43 and the T-34/85. All but the last are nasty looking critters long in the field, whereas the T-34/85s look almost brand new, are in a kind of pale olive paint scheme, rather than the typical dark green, and sport crisp clear turret markings to boot. The M43 and the T-34/85 are both too early for the 1942 period of the film, but from a treadhead gloriousness perspective, despite being anachronistic,  I doubt you'll care. There are some military technical problems many of you will spot, but again, not movie breakers, and there's so much to see am pretty sure has never been so fully depicted in a war movie. The panzers are well-executed conversions, which is why their fire control arrangements look just like those of the Russians. Suspect special tank interior sets were used, too, but it may be that the typical small stature generally of the Russians makes them look so roomy. Through the Cold War, at least, Soviet tankers weren't allowed to be taller than 5'5", but there's a guy in the film they probably had to grease to fit him in, a task made easier by being TC in a T-34/85. 

Regards,

John Kettler

That film was just as good, or bad if you want, as the film Fury and I was surprised to watch a Russian film with no SS-troops. Or maybe this film had SS-troops in it too, like most Russian films about the war seem to have, and I just missed them. The woman who played Seymon's wife looked very much like Isabella Rossellini.

wadepm,

In every translation I've read, the round is called "arrowhead" and isn't APDS but APCR/HVAP/Hartkern. There was no HEAT, either, just HE frag. The No. 4 round in top pic is arrowhead, so you can see exactly why it was called that. To my best awareness, the Soviets never got APDS fielded during the GPW. Believe they may've gotten a few rounds when the British sent two 17 pounder ATGs over for evaluation under Lend-Lease.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/192373-overview-russian-anti-tank-ammunition/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

The factual basis of "Tankers" is listed below. http://wio.ru/tank/ww2aces.htm This guy knew his trade. Tank kills also includes SPGs. Unsure what to make of the last part about killing 16 somethings in one day. 

lt. Konovalov Semyon Vasilievich KV-1 ; unknown trophy german panzer 15th tank brigade 22 + 1 tank captured, + 2 arm.cars; inc. 16 on 13th July 1943
Regards.

John Kettler

On 2/5/2020 at 3:33 AM, wadepm said:

The tank commander keeps calling for a "sabot."  Did they have that round in '42?  I can't find it if they did...

This is wrong translation. Commander said "bronieboinyi" = "armor piercing". For sabot he should have said "podkalibernyi"

At 1:05:09 there is also mistake - commander said "fugas" (HE) for half-truck, but subtitles show HEAT - in this case commander should have said "kumuliativnyi"

Edited by Haiduk

• 8 months later...