CMFI Crete 1941 mini-mod project

8 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I have always thought that the Battle on 42nd Street was between Chick Webb and Count Basie. With the Count winning thanks to a blistering performance from Lester Young.

Live and learn, Warts. 🙂

This is about the Australian/New Zeeland version of that battle. Keyword: bayonets.

Edited by Aragorn2002

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All this is for my and @mjkerner's big Kreta 1941 mod for FJ and Gebirgsjagers!

The British counterattack at Galatas is a very interesting battle. After 5 or 6 days, both sides were exhausted and cooked from the heat. Two small tanks were all the British had in that area. CMFI does not have the Vickers MkVIB so I had to conjure one up from what resources I have available. It was a small tank with twin machineguns. I found an available small tank with twin machineguns and so it is what we have as better than nothing.

When you are an early war orphan you have to learn to squint at what you are given and appreciate what it might resemble.

6 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Vickers MkVIB light tanks of 3rd Hussars at Galatas, Crete - 25 May 1941. (Faux)

Fantastic! Don't know what it is about these but they somehow remind me of an old push-along lawnmower I have out in the shed, maybe the big rubber band tracks. No machine guns on the mower of course. 

Edited by Lucky_Strike

16 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Vickers MkVIB light tanks of 3rd Hussars at Galatas, Crete - 25 May 1941. (Faux)

W5lYLk2.png

That little Fiat 3000 isn't really a great match for the Mk.VIB.....It has two machineguns, yes, but they are puny 6.5mm weapons, whereas the Vickers had .50cal & .303cal HMGs.

This being said, I can't immediately come up with a better suggestion for a base unit.....Modding from a static TOE is just like that sometimes (as we keep on discovering in 'H&E').

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That little Fiat 3000 isn't really a great match for the Mk.VIB.....It has two machineguns, yes, but they are puny 6.5mm weapons, whereas the Vickers had .50cal & .303cal HMGs.

This being said, I can't immediately come up with a better suggestion for a base unit.....Modding from a static TOE is just like that sometimes (as we keep on discovering in 'H&E').

Take all week to research it! It is the only reasonable match available. I did my best with what we have available. 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, kohlenklau said:

Take all week to research it! It is the only reasonable match available. I did my best with what we have available. 

A couple of days was sufficient.....I thought the Humber Mk.II/III Armoured Car was in the TOE list, it would make a very decent base unit (although it would face the same issues with barbed wire as our BTR-60PB based M113s in 'H&E'), but it ain't.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

A couple of days was sufficient.....I thought the Humber Mk.II/III Armoured Car was in the TOE list, it would make a very decent base unit (although it would face the same issues with barbed wire as our BTR-60PB based M113s in 'H&E'), but it ain't.  :rolleyes:

I don't have CMSF2 nor have seen much about H&E but I do appreciate what you and 37mm and the rest of you are trying to do. I am open to suggestions of course. I guess I don't know what you did. You have an mdr for an M113  maybe from CMCW and it is hosted by the BTR-60PB's mdr? I don't have an mdr for the MkVIB. 😞

27 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

You have an mdr for an M113  maybe from CMCW and it is hosted by the BTR-60PB's mdr? I don't have an mdr for the MkVIB.

I believe our models were made for us by @Aquila-SmartWargames, he's been a massive help.....We're discussing what exactly needs to be stolen from CM:CW right now.

Consequently we're in the opposite position of having models, but with nothing to drop them on.  :rolleyes:

The PT-76B is a case in point.....We have a gorgeous official model, but the closest vehicle that we can drop it on is a BMP-1.  These will probably work OK if used as AI controlled units (give or take the odd guided missile), but would be massively open to abuse by human players.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead